What's new

I have a 27" sony Wega. How do i make 16X9 widescreen mode be enabled by default? (1 Viewer)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Todd,

You didn't list the model number of your WEGA. Some have this feature "automatically" where the TV recognizes an anamorphic signal, in other models you have to go to the setup screen and turn on 16 x 9 enhanced mode. I have the 36" FS model which does not do this automatically. It was a pain to go through all of the steps each time I wanted to watch a widescreen DVD so I bought a universal remote control with a "Macro" feature. I got the One-For-All Cinema 7 remote (about $30) which is great since it controls all of my gear. It has 2 "macro" buttons which record a sequence of steps. I simply "recorded" the steps necessary to go into setup and turn 16 x 9 enhanced mode on and assigned them to one of the macro buttons. Now when I want to watch a widescreen movie I hit one button and it goes through all of the steps in the sequence.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
If it is the KV series Wega, then it will do it automatically whenever there is 16:9 material to be displayed.

In any case you still have to set your DVD player to output 16:9 images. Change the DVD player's display type to 16:9 instead of 4:3 letterbox. 4:3 material will display full screen and 16:9 stuff will auto squeeze.

MichaelG

Second Unit
I have a question. Does anyone know how the TV can determine if the incoming signal is from an anamorphic source?

How does the TV know that it is receiving an anamorphic signal? Since the DVD is just putting out an analog signal I guesss the information must be in the signal. Just curious about this, anyone know?

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know for sure, but I would guess a signal is put in the vertical blanking that identifies the video as widescreen.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Oren, that's kind of what I was thinking, but never knew that this was standardized (so to speak) for NTSC. Obviously this has to be something new and only newer TV's know to look, or can detect it's presence.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
A little digging around reveals it's in line 23 of the VBI. The Internet is an amazing thing.

I suppose that's why squeezing first appeared only in service menus, then manually in user menus, and only now automatically.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
It may be standardized (or not?), but it's not necessarily universal. When I purchased my 36" Sony Wega, I also upgraded my DVD player to a Pioneer Elite (I forget which model). I discovered that the Pioneer players didn't have the anamorphic signal. I traded in the Pioneer player for Sony 7700. Works like a charm.

It's amazing on many DVD's how they control the anamorphic images. With the auto squeeze you get to see the player shift in and out of anamorphic as it goes through the FBI/Interpol warnings and to the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks