What's new

I have a 2000$ price range, any TV suggestions for a newbie? Any help would be great. (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
For 2000$ Im looking for a new TV, but dont know where to start. Any recomendations? Flat or tube, Im still undecided but leaning towards flat for convenience. Thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It would be helpful to know what size screen you're considering.

$2k will buy get you into the mid-50" range in a crt based rptv, 34" in a direct-view crt, and maybe 32" in a flat panel lcd HD set if you go for one of the bargain brands, and Costco has a Samsung DLP rptv in that price range with about a 46" screen.

As far as I know there are no HD Plasma panels in the 2k price range.

Rolando

Screenwriter
dude I have spent the last 10 months at least considering all sorts of sets. I might be able to help chip in with ideas if you let me know some details.

what do you watch? do you play games? you want biggest you can get or best quality pic? what are the lighting conditions of the room it will be in?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
chris

If you are brave, you could order the $1,400 HD plasma from Computer Connection. 42 inch. Not much is known about this except it uses an LG glass. Apparently an order for 10,000 sets fell through and a small company (3G) is using these to build these sets. There is a fairly long thread over at the AVS Forum about this set.

On the other hand. If you were willing to stretch your budget a little further than $2,000, the Sony KE-42M1 is a great ED plasma. If your viewing distance will be 8 feet or more, the Sony will give you just about as good a picture quality as an HD plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks