I have $500 to spend on a receiver, guide me!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregoryKoz, Dec 26, 2003.

1. GregoryKoz

GregoryKoz Auditioning

Hey guys-

I haven't been to the site in a while but am looking forward to whatever opinions you might have on the following:

I have about $500 to spend on a Home Theater receiver, that's my limit- right now I am running the Klipsch RF series speakers all around, so the only dead spot is my receiver. I know that if you want quality, that you have to pay. I also know that sometimes you get lucky and find something priced pretty reasonably that can work for you. I really don't use the home theater system for anything other than DVD playback and satellite radio- sometimes I bring in my widescreen Panasonic and run that audio through the receiver.

I guess that the big question is what do and do you not recommend and why? I am still running a crappy Kenwood VR407 monitor, it's about 4 years old, and already the subwoofer feed is dead, and it's confusing my left and right front speakers, so that a car coming from left to right sounds like it's coming from right to left- annoying to say the least!

Anything you have to add to this thread would be greatly appreciated! Please guide me here!

Thanks!

Greg

2. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

I just recently got the onkyo TX-SR501 and love it. So for that price... I'd recommed the TX-SR601. I auditioned it also and really liked it, I just didn't want to spend the extra money on it.

3. GregoryKoz

GregoryKoz Auditioning

Hey Ryan-

thanks for the feedback, why this particular unit?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  5. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo TX-SR700 from Onecall.com - $428 ($450 shipped 3-day for me). Refurbished, but full factory warranty (1yr) mine said it had minor cosmetic defects, but none that I can see (or likely they were fixed by Onkyo when refurbed).

Awesome [email protected]$%ing receiver, I love it.

6. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

www.jandr.com has the Onkyo 601 for 399.88 with free shipping.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I second the marantz, or perhaps a denon, if there is one in that pricerange.

8. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

In that MSRP range Denon has the 1804.

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I'm digging my HK 225 [​IMG]

factory refurb for $230, running LFE to a Nad 218thx and it's stunning.

rogo

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

HK 325 for $449.06 including shipping at www.6ave.com
    That unit will sound great with Klipsch speakers. The laid back sound HK should match well with the bright Klispch speakers. The perfect balance. The strong point of the HK is the 2 channel sound, not sure how important that is to you.

11. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Stunt Coordinator

Gregory,
    I love my Yamaha reciever. 6.1 surround with DD and DTS decoders. I'll give you the model # if you are interested. Amazing crystal clear sound and plenty of inputs. Good power output as well.

Mike

12. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would have to say to take a look at the HK AVR-225. I currently own one and it is great. I have had a small problem with it, but I sent it to a repair place and they fixed it, Harman gave me no hassle or anything about it which I was pleased about.

Also, you have to decide which reciever you want by ear. If you were to use Klipsch speakers with a Yamaha reciever then it would sound very bright, something that most people would never like.

Harman is a warmer reciever, so paired with Klipsch speakers it will "even" it out.

We could give you suggestions until our face turns blue, but in the end you really have to decide what sounds best and looks best to you.

13. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Those Marantz & Onkyo units at sale prices are _very_ good options. I also stumbled across a couple of HK 525's in the HarmanAudio store on EBay for < $500 - and they're not "Z" models (which are HK's usual factory refurb designation). The Harman store = full factory warranty.

14. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

If you can get a HK 525 for less than $500, it might be your best choice. Like Chris said, go ahead and listen to some of the suggested units with your Klipsch.

As far as HK receivers go, I'd skip the 225 since you do have a $500 limit and look at the 325 or 525. They both have 7.1 plus adjustable crossovers for the front, back and center speakers. The 525 has a little more power and a couple extra features over the 325. I'm a 325 owner so I'm admittedly biased toward HK.

The Onkyo and Marantz should sound nice with Klipsch also.

You've been given some very good choices.

15. GregoryKoz

GregoryKoz Auditioning

Hey to all who posted, thanks for your comments so far, a couple of people are really pushing me on the Onkyo 601- any thoughts? The one criticism I have heard of it is that movies do well, but that music sounds pretty lousy- almost tinny. Is there any truth to that rumor? It seems like most people thus far have a bias to HK.

Thanks again for keeping the thread going strong!

Gregory

16. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

It's all in the eyes, or in this case, ears of the beholder. My Onkyo 501 sounds great for music as well as for movies, but then again I probably don't know any better. However, it sounds good to me and my wife, so that's all that matters. That's the important part. You need to make sure it sounds good to you for what you plan on using it for.

Some things I like about the Onkyo 601:
    Onscreen setup (501 doesn't have it).
    HDTV capable component video switching (50Mhz) 2in : 1 out. (501 has this).
    Dolby Digital EX & DTS:ES 6.1 channel sound (501 has this)
    Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 stereo to surround conversion (501 has this).
    Dual room stereo. This requires either stereo only in the main room to get powered stereo in the second room, or bookshelf/receiver/powered speaker system in the second room. (501 has this).
    192kHz/24-bit DAC's (501 as 96kHz/24-bit DAC's)
    3 Optical inputs (one front mounted), 1 digital coax. (501 has 2 optical/1 coax).
    5 A/V inputs with S-video including one on the front. (501 has 4 S-video inputs).

People have their own preferences, and if you're not sure what you like, you need to spend the time to make sure you understand what your preferences are. That way you won't be wasting time or money buying equipment you may be unhappy with. There's nothing wrong with H/K. There's nothing wrong with Onkyo. It's all about what you like best, and the only person that can determine that is you.

Have fun deciding! Trying out gear can be very fun. Unless you fall in love with something that's totally outside your budget. Then it can be downright painful. [​IMG]