I have $400 to spend on a DIY sub...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Mar 1, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I am thinking about putting together a DIY sub for around $400 (definitely no higher than $450 including shipping). My system is 50/50 music/HT. I want a sub that has good low frequency output but is also tight enough for music. I am told that $400 will get me a DIY sub that sounds as good as a $1000 sub. That intrigues me. Any specific recommendations?

Oh, one more thing. I do not want a huge enclosure. It does not have to be tiny, but it cannot be massive. And I would prefer an attractive enclosure.

2. Bob Schumann

Bob Schumann Extra

Eric,
    I had the same questions, needs and concerns and ended up with a 54 Liter Adire Audio allignment with the help of Kyle Richardson and Rob Lloyd at Acoustic Visions. They did a great job getting me started but I did the finishing. Kyle was also nice enough to post a picture of the end results on his site here . As for cost the total was about $450 and I got a lot more in the bargin. That was with Rob putting together the MDF box as I didn't have the time as I was working on finishing up my basement HT project. If you have the time and the tools the plans are over at the Adire website here so you can save yourself about $100. That should keep you under budget.
    Bob

3. EricHaas

Thanks. Any others? I just want to get a few options.

4. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I just built a Thunder 12.3 sub from Stryke audio (http://stryke.com ) which uses a 12" driver ($109) and 2 15" passive radiators ($25 each b-stock clearance from John at Stryke, I think he has more) and the PE 250 watt plate amp ($129). I built my own cabinet, which is 3ft^3 internal, or roughly 19x23x15.5in, so not too big. I'm still fiddling with it, but it sounds pretty impressive for under $400 or so.
    I use it for music and HT.
    Wes

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hey just out of curiosity did you guys see the Octagon sub over at Acoustic-Visions?
    Check it out!
    I second Acoustic-Visions as well.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would be afraid of it falling over as it must be heavy throughout. Not as bottom heavy like a sonotube. How heavy is that thing anyway? I would guess over 100lbs, and I definitely wouldn't want it falling on me or anyhthing else fragile.

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I doubt if the average person would be able to tip this sub over. I believe the woofer would be bottom firing unlike the HSU tube subs and even if the driver was located on the top I doubt it would be easy to tip over because of the overall weight.

8. EricHaas

What are passive radiators?

9. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I was gonna suggest the same sub I will be making soon. A Tempest vented Adire Alignment. Kinda big, but its got what you were looking for. Can be made for under $450 too.

10. Wes Nance

Do a search on "passive radiator(s)" in this forum, and you'll get lots of useful information. A PR is a port alternative, lets you have a smaller box where a port wouldn't fit.

Search the archive, and then if you have more questions, post, and maybe some of the more advanced guys will handle those questions. . .

Wes

11. EricHaas

Ok, here's another stupid question. These sub kits I am reading about do not seem to include amps. Should I assume that these DIY subs are all passive, or can I build one with an internal amp? I ask, because oddly enough I do not really have room on my equipment rack for another component.

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Most tube designs are passive (because it's hard to mount a plate amp on a curved surface). I think most (box) designs are passive because people like the option of changing/upgrading their amp. You can purchase a plate amp and build it's own small box (which will sit on the subwoofer). Don't worry about it bouncing off... a good enclosure won't vibrate.

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Eric. All of these questions and more can be answered by Kyle of Acoustic-Visions without any pressure to sell you anything. If you wanted a sub with the plate amp already mounted Kyle could do that as well in whatever style, size, color and performance level desired.
    Acoustic - Visions
    Good Luck

14. Wes Nance

Eric,
    Here's the Passive Radiator FAQ page I couldn't find off the bat when I pointed you to the archives:
    Lambda PR FAQ
    If you have a lower budget, and small size constraints, I think you would be served well with an inexpensive plate amp such as the PE 300-794 or Apex or Apex Jr.
    PR's can make your project more expensive, but like I said, John at Stryke audio has some cheap ones for $25 or so that were originally around $75 each.
    Hope this helps-
    Wes