I have $2500 to spend on an entire speaker system...suggestions???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John ODonnell, Feb 26, 2002.

1. John ODonnell

I am moving into a new house. I currently have Inifinity Minuette speakers (the larger models) with the Infinity BU2 sub. I have been very pleased with these speakers, considering they were my first venture into HT. However, I recently purchased a Denon AVR-4802 and I know that these speakers are not doing my new baby justice! So...my plan...I wanna retire the entire Infinity set (including sub) to my bedroom and do a little upgrading. I know $2500 is not a lot as far as HT speakers go, but that is all I can muster ATM (girlfriend put her foot down).

With that being said, I am entertaining any and all suggestions for a new 5+1 speaker setup. I know that this is purely a subjective matter, but I need to ask because I am not very well versed in speaker technology. I will say that the speakers will be used STRICTLY for HT (we are not huge music afficionados...did I spell that right).

Thank you in advance for your help,

John

2. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

For that amount of money you could go for the flagship models from either Axiom Audio (www.axiomaudio.com) or Swan Diva (www.av123.com) without a problem. I'd personally recommend Axiom Audio, with perhaps a pair of M80Ti's, a pair of M60Ti's for rears and a VP150, along with a SVS 25-31CS.
    That should be about $2500; tremendous bang for the buck IMHO.
    Axiom can also be purchased via www.audioshop.on.ca, where you'll probably save a bundle via currency exchange of CDN dollars to US.
    Good luck!

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I recommend Paradigm Reference line and the Divas by Swans mentioned above. Take a look at the special at www.av123.com where you can get the Diva 6.1, Diva surrounds and Diva center as a package for $1800.
    I personally prefer bookshelf sized if it is mainly HT as opposed to music, though some might disagree. This is what I recommend in the Paradigm Reference line:
    Studio 40's ($900)
    Studio-CC ($500)
    Mini-Monitors or ADP-170's for surrounds (about $325)
    An SVS sub, probably 25-31PC (or CS if you want to get a separate amp for it.) $700 Otherwise the Hsu vtf-2 or Adire Rava for $400. Good luck!

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My choice would be to email AV123 and get a package deal price on a pair of Diva 5.1 towers, Diva 2.1 bookshelves and a Diva C3 center. Then I'd get a Dharman sub from Adire Audio. Should end up right around $2500 after shipping.

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I fourth what everyone else said. The Divas get my first vote (by far - great sound) followed by the Axioms.

6. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Gotta get in this one before Bob does. [​IMG]
    Wow, I'm surprised by the lack of Paradigm/SVS combo recommendations yet. [​IMG] Btw, both are of great values. As for myself I already have the Diva system about to get in multi-channel action. As soon as I get the player nailed down it will be b/w the Dharman vs the new Hsu VTF-3 SW's. Happy hunting.
    PF

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

If you are looking strictly for HT speakers, you owe it to yourself to look at brands such as M&K (www.mksound.com), Definitive Technology (www.definitivetech.com) and Mirage (www.miragespeakers.com). Of course, with proper setup and attention to associated equipment, these speakers should sound great with music as well. Good luck!

8. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Last year I bought the nOrh 4.0 video package in ceramic ($850.00) and an SVS 20-39CS ($479.00??). Had an Adcom GFA555II AMP idle, so that powers the sub. Check out www.harmonicdiscord.com and www.norh.com for info and reviews on nOrh, Swan, SVS....
    BTW...I am in HT nirvana

9. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Gotta throw in a vote for Klipsch. I'm in the process of converting my JBL HT/audio setup to Klipsch Legends, and am also building a dual Tempest sonosub.

Can't wait to "Shake the house"!!!

Regardless of what you buy for $2500 you will get a very good system unless you go with Bose.....

10. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Denon avr4800 last year and this year upgraded my speakers.

I got Def Tech BP2002TLS for the front, C/L/R2500 for the center and 2 BP2X surrounds for the rear. I paid just ovR $2800 for them and the sound that comes through is absolutely beautyful. Watched Pearl Harbor last night and was just blown away. Good luck. Gary.

11. John ODonnell

Thanks for the input guys!!!

There is nothing like "real world" product reviews. I am really impressed with the things I have been reading about the Diva's, and, I have always had a warm feeling for Paradigm.

The only other factor is that my TV is in a black case and we have basically bought all of our other furniture taking that into consideration. I'm not sure how "out of place" a wood grain finish would look next to and on top of my TV.

Thanks again guys!

John

12. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

John, go to the B&W vs Diva thread page 3 where someone posted pictures of a Diva user's setup so you can see youself how the black & rosewood contrast look to you. You may be surprised.

PF

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For $2,500, I like:

marble nOrh 4.0 package - $1,600

or

nOrh SM 6.9 video package - $1,500

and

SVS 16-46PC

or

Aperion Audio SW-12

Wood grain can look fantastic, especially as a contrast to the black. With the nOrhs, for example, you could get black marble or synthetic marble and black ceramic. A wood grain can also help to lighten up the room and add some color to it. Other options to consider are B&W, Paradigm, PSB, Def Tech, and Swan Diva. Personally I enjoy the nOrhs and am extremely happy with them. Looks, however, are not for everyone which is both their greatest weakness and greatest strength (outside of the sound).

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

John, you can get the Paradigm's in black laminate and it would actually save you some money in the process if you went this way.

I hate to bash Klipsch here as I think they are fine HT speakers, but if you plan to listen to music from your new setup, I would suggest you go with any of the other recommendations. I'm just not a big fan of the horn tweeter when it comes to anything BUT rock music.

15. RonM

RonM Extra

For that kind of cash I would recommend:

Norh 4.0 5 speaker package

SVS sub(s)

still with some cash leftover to upgrade cables or start down the road of separates with separate amps for your L/R mains.

I have the Norh 9.0s with 4.0s for rears and a SVS Ultra sun so I will admit I'm biased but they are a great combination.