What's new

I have 2 low price Subs... Which is better? (1 Viewer)

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I realize what I am asking for might be like a comparison of the qualities between a Yugo and a Trevant, but currently I have two subs and I need to know which is the better of them.

I have an RCA Pro SW 120 10" sub with a 120 watt amplifer and it is rated at 44-200 hz (in actuality it goes down further in the real world).

I also came across an Audiosource SW 80. It is an 80 watt 8 inch sub with a 30-150 hz rated response. It is usually packaged as part of the Audiosource 380 system which is the equivalent of the Home Theater Direct Level One.

The RCA is bigger and is built better, but I have heard a few better things about Audiosource.

Please advise.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Placed properly, the RCA.

I lived with one of those for years, not too bad for what it is.

If I had it back, maybe I'd plug or remove and cover the port, stuff it, and toss in a titanic 10" driver while I built a dedicated enclosure.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
Colin-
Would that really work well? I can close up the port. By stuffing, do you mean putting the fiberglass insulation that is put in other enclosures to lower resonance? I've been kinda itchin' for a DIY project, but I have no skill as a cabinet builder...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, a 10 " Titanic will work well in enclosures less than one cubic foot. The enclosure won't be as strong as would be best and who knows what kind of boost or sub sonic filters on are the Radio Shack amp, but it will work.

Insulation or polyfill is what you will stuff it with. It's not so much to elimante resonances as it is to increase the enclosure volume the driver sees. In small enlcosure 1.5lbs of polyfill for every cubic foot of actual space will make the driver see a space that is approximately 25-30% larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks