I have 2 15" Madisound 15254DVC drivers...now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KrisPfeiffer, Aug 27, 2002.

1. KrisPfeiffer

KrisPfeiffer Extra

Jun 3, 2002
    I bought these drivers quite a while ago when a friend recommended them. They were going to be used together in a huge cabinet. Plans have changed, and the drivers are sitting there, just waiting for their chance. It doesn't appear Madisound carries the drivers any longer.

That chance may be here. Due to some rather poor planning, the wall I framed for my home theatre is too narrow to accomdate my existing subwoofer. I'm going to need to building something very similiar to my existing sub (which uses the same 15254 driver), but taller and skinnier.

I am *not* an experienced speaker builder or designer. I'm using Boxplot to figure out a workable alignment that will still fit in the rather tight space I have. Is it a good idea to put this behind a wall or should I just let it sit out in the open?

The parms of the speaker are as such:

Fs: 23
    Vas: 12.25 ft^3
    Qms: 5.71
    Qes: 0.47
    Pd: 100
    Re: 3.7
    Diam: 15in
    Xmax: 0.22in

Calculated Qts: 0.43425

Should I go ahead and build a sealed enclosure for a driver or should I just sell them off and get a Shiva, Titanic, NHT 1259, etc.

I know, I'm clueless.

2. jon thomas

jon thomas Auditioning

Nov 21, 2000
    You could try an IB but that driver is recommended for sealed applications, 4-6 cubic feet from catalogue . They can't take a whole lot of power but are efficient I believe.
    Build a killer, (well braced), box for them that Tempests will some day go into.[​IMG]
  3. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Nov 30, 2001
    I had a 15254 DVC in a 5 cft ported 4X8" with 48 OZ of stuffing and was very happy with it.
    I was using that cabinet and driver as i got them for putting a O2 sensor in a friends SideKick.
    New and not even the driver hole cut.
    Well in the end a very good set up and with that size a good end table .
    But I sold it and now on to the sub WALL.