I have $2,000 to spend on receiver & 5.1 speaker system. Omnistats are....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GKH, Jul 29, 2006.

1. GKH

GKH Auditioning

...being considered along with Denon 2106 receiver. I might consider going as high as $2,300.00. These Mirage Omnistats are the $1,599.00 models w/10" sub. A local dealer has floor models for $999.00. So; they have my interest. I have listened to them once. He played a little of the "Spiderman" DVD, and then some music. Nice 360 degree sound. Most unique. For me, the thing that is important is that the system I buy, must sound really good for my classic rock, jazz, and new age CDs, along with great sound for movies, and DVD concerts. [​IMG] And; sometimes, I do like to really crank it up! [​IMG] My listening room is 17' x 23'.

This will be my very first theater sound system. He is also recommending the Denon 2106 (100watts x7), or a the next to top of the line Sony ES receiver (which is also on sale).

Another dealer (Underground Sound) is recommending either an NAD or Marantz receiver and PSB Alpha B (4 of these), PSB Alpha C (center channel), and a 200watt B&W 200watt subwoofer. I'm going to listen to this system today.

Now; since I have been researching this, I have come across the SVS SBS1 System. But; I guess, no dealers really sell these. They are strictly 'order on line', from what I am seeing. At $999.00, the price is attractive.

Any input regarding this is greatly appreciated, and welcomed. Thanks!

- Greg

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    My only concern is that the speakers you’re considering are probably too small for your room, especially the Omnisats. What you’re going to find is that the upper bass is lacking, because the small mains won’t have enough bass output to fully blend with the sub. You won’t notice it much with movies, but you will with music, especially songs where the bass line runs from high to low notes. You might want to read up on Part 2 of this article House curve: What it is, why you need it, how to do it for more information.

You’ll probably get more bang for the buck with the SVS system; I’ve been hearing mostly positive things about them, although the same thing applies – they’re probably too small for your room. They don’t have a full-range speaker yet, but maybe getting one of their subs would free up enough money so that you could get some speakers with a 6-1/2” or 8” woofer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You could very likely do better than the B&W sub to go with the PSB speaker setup. B&W makes some good higher-end subs, but their lower-end stuff gets beaten pretty soundly by Hsu, SVS and the like.

My front three speakers are from the SVS package. I've really enjoyed them, but my room is smaller than your room.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Greg,

I personally think that with the right sub (say the new PB12-NSD coming) and bass management set to 100Hz (which a Denon receiver such as the 2106 will allow) the SBS-01 system will do quite well on that budget for that space. If that's a closed room in any case. Of course if they aren't all that you want/expect we take them back. We're not designing bigger/more expensive speakers for nothing but for a full rig at $2,300... you have to bend on what your dream configuration might be. You can drop $2,300 on a center channel alone after all (if you have a mind to and limitless funds I suppose).

FWIW, I recently helped set up a Denon 2106 with a 7.1 system with just about the same room dims (but with the PB10-NSD instead) and sure as hell had enough clean power to drive people out of the room (though the listening position was fairly well centered and not far from the sub or speakers). It's a fantastic receiver for the money (I snagged this one for him, new in box for $500 on Ebay).

In any case, drop us a line if you have anything we might help with directly.

PS We're not able to keep up with PM's and don't get to all the forums as we once did so e-mail is best.

Ron Stimpson
    [email protected]

5. GKH

GKH Auditioning

Here are a couple photos of the room. Note; the back wall. The wiring/switchplates are about 12-18" from the ceiling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might consider NHTs (Absolute Zero) with a 12" sub.

BTW: 'Just saw your post, Ron! [​IMG] 'Much thanks!

Are you thinking this setup?
    SBS-01 5.0 Surround Set
    $599
    PB12-NSD Subwoofer with 320 watt BASH amp
    $599
    Speaker Stands
    $54.95 per pair
    Wall mounts
    $75.00 pair

Here is an Axiom system, I just spec'd out...

Center VP100
    Fronts M50 (floor standing)
    Surrounds QS4
    Subwoofer EP175

6. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

GKH,

As someone who recently completed my setup with a budget of just slightly more than yours, the greatest purchase I made in the whole set up was the SVS sub.

I went with NHT IW3 speakers because my wife made me get inwalls in the new house. So I was looking at the NHT SW12 sub and it was lacking. So I looked at others. Still lacking. The only subs that came even close to producing the bass I wanted cost far more than my entire budget!

Then on the recommendations of others here and through conversations with the guys at SVS I pulled the trigger and got one of their subs site unseen and unheard.

Three words for its performance. OH MY GOD!

I would bet the SVS over the NHT sub without even thinking about it.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I don't think your going to like the Omnisats diffused sound for music. They aren't going to do well when you want to crank it either. Also, with the importance you're placing on music look at Ascend Acoustics mated with a SVS or Hsu Research sub. You can try the Ascend Forum to see if someone in your area will let you listen to their's.

8. GKH

GKH Auditioning

Okay guys.....

What do you think about this option w/say an SVS Sub?

Ascent: CBM-170 SE front pr + CBM-170 SE center + HTM-200 surround pr

Thanks!

And; I am still considering the SVS system, as well.

I purchased A Sony STR-DA3100ES Receiver. So; I am set there.