I have $1800 to spend- Should I look at the PT53WX53

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GregoryKoz, Sep 4, 2003.

1. GregoryKoz

GregoryKoz Auditioning

Sep 4, 2003

Greetings from Long Island, I am the new guy! Hoping that this team of experts can help me out. I have done a good amount of research thus far, and for the money , $1800 covers my delivery, 5 year parts and labor, sales tax and the cost of the unit.

Of course, the big question is whether I am getting bang for the buck. I am curious to find out whether any of you either have the unit or know anything about it to the point where you can lend any positive or negative criticisms.

I don't want to go Plasma yet, A) due to cost and B) due to the fact that it is a still evolving technology.

Please lend me any advice you might have. I am pretty close to purchasing the unit as all reviews have been really positive...

Thanks again guys,

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oct 31, 1997
    Have you considered going FP? There are some nice LCD FPs (the Panny 300u is about in your range) and if you build your own screen...

I own a 47" Panny HDTV which I've loved for two+ years now. One thing I've learned about HT - size matters. I have two friends with FPs and screens of over 9' big - holy smoke! And with FP prices going down, if I were in the market now and wanted to keep it under $2K I'd probably try to score a Panny 300u for ~$1700 and build my own screen. If you buy out-of-state you can avoid sales tax, and the thing weighs like 7lbs so shipping shouldn't be a killer.

Just some thoughts.
  3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

May 5, 2002
    I agree....I was going to get a Pioneer 53" until my friend demoed a Sharp Z90 for me.....Now I am either getting the Panny 300 or Sanyo PLZ1.....

Alot depends on how much you plan on using it and what you want out of it.,..