I have $1000, what do you recomend?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Atmun, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Atmun

Atmun Auditioning

I would like to spend around $1000 (+ or - a hundred or so) on surround sound. I was thinking about getting a set of paradigm speakers and a yamaha reciver. DO any of you have suggestions on model numbers or even other speaker brands? Also, do any of you have any recomendations on a GOOD home theater in a box.

the room size is 12x15
    thanks,
    -Atmun

2. Atmun

Atmun Auditioning

ohh yea, I am looking for 5.1 but a reciver that can do 6.1.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Have you listened to the Paradigms? I think your best option is to take some time and see what you can find in the $600 or so range for speakers. You might want to check out JBL's, NHT's, Infinities for starters. Pick you speakers first, then we can worry about the receiver.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I definitely recommend paradigms for entry-level HTs. There's very little that can touch them.

As for receivers, there are lots. I'm not particularly partial to yamaha, but they make good stuff.

Theres denon, marantz, hk, pioneer elite, sony ES, onkyo/integra, outlaw, etc etc

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

JBL S38IIs for mains - $232 a pair at onecall.com
    JBL S-Center - $117 at onecall.com
    Onkyo 501 Reciever - $189 at ecost.com
    That puts you at $538, with plenty left over for surrounds of your choice.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since speakers and model recommendations are being discussed, the thread has been moved here. Please remember that the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner's level. Thanks.

7. AndrewRose

AndrewRose Auditioning

i would look into axioms. I have heard the JBLs and they are ok. i think the models aaronjb gave you are cheap and don't sound very good.
    the m2s can be found for 175 and a qs4 for 250 and a vp 100 for 200.
    dont skimp out on the reciever though. The difference between cheap and low end HI FI is astounding-I am talking about the difference between cheap Best Buy speakers and lower priced audio store speakers.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The Onkyo Tx-SR501 receiver is a good choice. You can get it as a referb for $179 or new for $300 at JandR.com
    Get a good sub like the HSU STF-1 or 2,it will make all the difference listening to movies.
    http://www.hsuresearch.com/
    There also the Dayton sub from partsexpress which I have for $125. It's a good sub clean and undistorted and has certainly kept me entertained. It comes complete no assembly required.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=122583&DID=7
    There's also the JBL nsp1 II set of speakers that can be had for $200.
    They're good for listening to HT but for music they fall short. If you like listening to music maybe the JBL N26 speakers. I have the Fluance sx-htb and they 're excellent for music.
    For a good HTIB there's the Onkyo s767c that shows up alot in good reviews.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...o-12-2003.html
    The only thing is the sub is not as good as the subs you'll find when buying separates.

9. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest converting the $1000 into small, used, unmarked bills - you know, dead presidential commemoratives - and overnighting them to me...

Seriously (hey! I tried...) the Paradigm suggestion is one very good route. So are Axioms (and of course I'd suggest those two 'cause that's what I'd chosen - so they must be the best suggestions ;-).

How big an area will this stuff be stuffed into? If it's a big open area that usually poses a greater challenge than a more decent sized room [and we're talking about a challenge to your budget, of course).

I'm not as sure about most HTiB, mostly 'cause most HTiBs I've been forced to listen to sound like a lot less than P-digm or Axiom type entry-level setups. And there is (obviously) much, much more to the world than P-digm & Axiom, but in any/all cases I would put the great majority of your money into the speakers. And a decent subwoofer for HT, too. I won't go religious here and mention the H-word STF2 @ CompUsa for $349 or anything like that ('cause that's much too big a bite out of your $1K), but for HT the sub can really help make a difference.

Try to find somewhere to listen to your choices (except for Axioms, of course) and try to make sure it's not a warehouse-sized listening spot. If you can be fairly patient, you might want to watch EBay or Audiogon or the like after the holidays too see if you can catch someone's upgrade leftovers at a good discount, too.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Go to av123.com, get their phone number, call and ask for Sean. They have huge close outs now and you could get twice as much gear than normal and its great stuff!!!!

11. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

OK - one last minor modification to my previous post (unless you've already decided to overnight the $1K ;-). Another option might be to go directly to the HarmanAudio store in EBay and pick from their list of stuff. It's all HK & Infinity & JBL (no surprize there) and it all comes w/ full factory warrantees - and it's not all refurb.

I got dragged through a local B&M yesterday and there were a couple of HK old/closeout HTiBs playing as we walked by. They were not totally terrible - our heads did not explode nor our ears fall off, much less hurt after we moved on. I don't think you'll ever confuse these w/ an Axiom Epic or Paradigm or whatevers. However, you could go to the Harman EBay store & get the HK-525 under $500 and your pick of speakers - and have change left over for a cable or two. Just as long as you're not setting these up in a palace...

12. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Wait! Wait!! I found another solution - in today's BestBuy flyer. And, since you can get everything under one brand name I'm sure it will all blend seamlessly...

You can start off with the KLH 6.1 600W(!) receiver @ $130. Then you could surround that with maybe a dozen KLH 2-way bookshelf speakers for $120 - total - and (I think this is the best part) you could put those $9.99 speakers up on Sanus Speaker stands - for $89.99 (I swear that's exactly what's in the BB flier - a $9.99 speaker on a $89.99/pair stand ;-).

If you have a Costco or BJ's locally then you should be able to find a big KLH subwoofer for about $99.99. It should all be magical...

13. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Atmun,

I have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V1200) and a Dahlquist 6.1 speaker set (QX10's, QX60C across the front, QX6's and a QX4 across the back).

I got the Yammy locally (got the B&M to match a reputable online store price) and got the Dahlquists from Marc at Audio Shop in Ottawa. I learned about Marc from this forum and at the Outlaw and AVS forums. Obviously I spent more than $1K, but, you should check out one of Marc's offerings at

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/systemsrxv440orbit.htm

The $999 price is in Canadian loonies! = somewhere in the $700 range for US dollars.

I can attest to Marc's fantastic customer service and great pricing. The Dahlquists have been favorably compared to Paradigms and Axioms in the same showrooms. Marc a/b's customers blindly and the Dahls routinely get the nod over both Paradigms and Axioms.

Good luck, I've been having a blast from my system--just like an HT should...

14. Jarek

Jarek Auditioning

Keeping in line of the subject, I have a chance to pick up:
    Brand new sealed set of cherry QX6
    Brand new sealed black QX60 Center
    Opened set of QX5, cherry, like new. (approx 2 weeks old)
    for about $750 Cnd..
    Would this be a good deal? [​IMG]

I have a rather small area for my HT setup.. I would be using these with a Denon AVR1603 and a David 302 sub.

These are 6 ohm speakers which in turn would be drawing/producing more power from the amp at higher distortion levels.. Would this compromise sound quality?
    Thank you for any help/suggestions. [​IMG]

15. Patrick++

Patrick++ Auditioning

i'm looking at a similar price range and brands. it's been tough for me to find a quality 5.1 system with receiver under $1k. The paradigm cinema 70 5.1 system would run around $780 (that's what i was quoted) without a receiver. Throw in something like a denon 1604 or a similar yamaha and you're at around $1100-1200 already. my current plan is to build a 2.1 system (titans or atoms and a sub) with a good receiver.

people suggest axiom a lot on here, but i have yet to see them in a store where i can audition them... and they're no cheaper than the paradigms (the m2i's are around $250 compared to $220 for titans).

16. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Atmun -

On a little more serious note than last week's BB-inspired lunacy, my sister also has Dahlquist speakers (in her basement) and they are very, very decent to my ancient ears. They're driven by some older Carver stuff 'cause that's what she had around for stuff in their downstairs room (and because it drives most anything). If you can go hear DQ's and get them at (or better than) the prices mentioned above then that might be what works best for you.

I've never A/B'd them w/ P-digm or Axioms 'cause she lives there and we live here so I can't help on that. I can say that they are _all_ good choices and you should try to hear them if you can 'cause they're good but different/good.

Patrick -
    The reason I mention Axiom is 'cause they put such a grin on my face for the $$$. The folks I've dealt w/ don't compare Axioms w/ Atoms or Titans - they compare them sonically w/ Studios. There is _no_ way that quantity & quality of sound should come out of M3ti's or M22ti's for the price - but it does. 'Specially if you go the factory outlet 10% off route.