What's new

I hate Waterbugs!! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No, I know the sound of crickets and tree frogs. This is the buzzing sound you hear in the tree, and I know it's the cicada, because I've seen them buzzing in agony at the paws of my cat. :D I just thought it was the locust.

Here's a page with some insect sounds:

http://www.naturesongs.com/insects.html

Their "large variety" sound is close to what I usually hear. I love the sounds around here. When the tree frogs are in voice, it sounds like Dagobah. And then, there are the lovely mourning doves, plus the geese flying south for the winter, and an occasional owl. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I've seen people fry and eat bachacos in Colombia (they're supposed to taste like peanuts, but I've never dared to find out for myself), but never, ever a waterbug. Yikes. That takes either supreme balls, or supreme insanity. Probably both.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I never said they ate them :). My big bother tossed the thing into the fire to freak out lil sis and I when we were kids.

But yeah, I've seen people fry and eat some unfathomable things (6 legged) as well. I've also seen them eat similar stuff raw.

--
H

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_shee...g/waterbug.htm

Diet
In the wild: Larvae eat small aquatic invertebrates, while adults prey on any small animal they can handle, including insects and other aquatic invertebrates. They also hunt vertebrates such as tadpoles, salamanders and small fish. Grasping and holding prey with their powerful forelegs, giant water bugs thrust their sucking mouthparts into their prey.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

No, those are cicadas. They make entirely different noises. Here in the South at least it's usually cicadas that are heard at night (they can get really loud, too).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ewwww!!!!! What in the name of all hell are those little white dots on that things back!? They make me want to vomit! :frowning::frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ordered my second Papa John's pizza over the internet, this time for carryout. To quote McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Having grown up in NYC and seeing TONS of roaches, (don't bother me, just annoy me) I still never got over the site of a waterbug. And they are HELLA-FAST! Now in Cali. I just deal with spider-palooza and I have a bit of Arachnaphobia! ;0

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I had what I think is called a silverfish in my bathtub. For some silly reason my first instinct was to douse it with Listerine. It stopped moving almost immediately. :D

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator

LOL,This reminds me of an important point i would like to make.For all you women that still believe you can get a man to handle any bug problem i have one thing to say..........POPULAR MYTH.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I sometimes use Lysol when a bug is around. It doesn't help with much except mosquitoes. I actually start to feel a little bad about it. "I just want you outside or dead, little fly. I don't want to burn out your many eyes." But, mosquitoes? They'll drop and you can get 'em.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I hear you about feeling bad about killing some insects, Greg, which is why there are four insects that I never kill.

The first are Praying Mantis', I respect them and find them to be very elegant creatures, plus it's illegal to kill them. When I was about 10 or 11 I beat one to death with a plastic bat and I swear the thing was looking up at me and waving it's arm in defense, I feel terrible now that I did that but back then I had never seen one before and thought it was a big ugly thing. :frowning:

Ladybugs, cannot kill a Ladybug, it's rude. ;)

Caterpillars, especially the fuzzy ones, they're cute.

And Firefly's, used to catch them as a kid on summer nights and keep them in a jar, although I wasn't always smart enough to poke holes in the top. :frowning:

I also try never to kill insects when i'm outside unless I really have to, the way I see it, when i'm outside i'm in their territory and so I respect that, if I see a waterbug outside on the sidewalk I just step around it...but it had better not come in my house if it values it's life. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I had to look that up about it being illegal to kill a pm. Looks like it's a myth. :) Still, I got no cause to kill one. I had a wasp in my house once and figured he'd have to die if I couldn't get him out, but I had to try. He landed on the counter and I pushed a paper towards him until he walked on it, then I covered him with a cup and got him out safe. I also had a bird in the house once, but obviously I wasn't going to kill that. I was sure glad when it found the open door, though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hmmm, well, maybe illegal wasn't the right term, I know that in many area's you can be fined if your caught killing a pm because they are so useful, they kill and eat many insects and keep the population down.

Or maybe i'm just full of shit.

:D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have a soft spot for Wooly bears:

Awwwwww....

I can squirt the guts out of gypsy moths though.

And as a kid, I used to take a stick and whack fireflys, they'd make a really cool light streak across the sky. Man, I used to run around my parent's backyard in the evening and just whack them all... Bad kid, I guess... it was at least somewhat challenging...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks