I Hate Tnn!!!.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jun 6, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Sorry to shout. But, I just found out that CSI will be on in syndication on TNN. And that they will be using that horrible black bar at the bottom. I don't mind a small logo in the corner or even a once in a while popup. But, for a constant black bar that has no relevance most of the time but to tell you what show you are watching is irrelevant. What is worse is that the show is coming out in season box sets in Region 2. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

They compress the pictures slightly, as opposed to chopping the bottom off. This makes the stretch modes on my 16x9 look even worse. I end up going into the zoom mode (TW2), and moving the picture up to get rid of the black bar entirely. Not ideal, but what can you do?

The black bar is definitely the most intrusive bug I've ever seen. Makes you wonder...

Martin.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Hey, you guys aren't complaining about the black bar now are you? [​IMG]
    TNN, otherwise known as the all ST:TNG network! I mean I love that show, but that seems to be the only thing they ever show! And oh yeah, that damn black bar is the most pompous thing on any network! I mean, God forbid we actually forget what were watching every few seconds! [​IMG]
    I guess it's for people with Leonards condition from 'Memento' or something. Ridiculous.

5. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

How about the consideration that I have satellite...Just by scrolling the channel listing, I can see that channel 457 is TNN, that Star Trek is on, (Not to mention the exact name of the episode), and that Mad TV is on next. Sheesh, this black bar tells me NOTHING that my satellite doesn't tell me. In fact, the dish tells me more. A complete and utter waste.

6. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Yes, nobody except the marketing morons at TNN love their black bar. It's only going to get worse. I'm sure there will soon be other intrusive pop-up garbage and maybe even a separate scrolling bar for moronic chatroom text like "this is Steve from CHicago and I LUV CSI....its the raddesT show EVA..the NeW TNN ROX!!!!"

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Because of that black bar, I have blocked TNN from my cable, even though they show "Diff'rent Strokes" reruns and used to show "Alice," "Newhart," and "WKRP in Cincinnati."

If those shows were being aired uncut, I'd be even more vexed.

8. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

To add another layer of insult...look closely. You will notice that they time compress most shows as well. This can be seen as a dropping of some frames every second. It is especially noticeable on panning shots. The pan jumps and jerks it's way across my screen.

They started with the black bar...then they squeeze the picture so nothing is being hidden, but everything is distorted.

Then they compress the show...I'm scared to see what they come up with next!

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have hated screen bugs since their inception. I've wanted them to go away even before others found them to be a nuisance. I've signed petitions, sent complaint letters, and bitched and moaned to anyone who would listen. Yet they are still here. I'm guessing the general public just rolled over about them. It would be nice to see Entertainment Weekly or TVGuide do a peice on them.

Any contract for syndication on TNN should come with an immediate start of a program on DVD for people who don't want to deal with this crap.

10. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>To add another layer of insult...look closely. You will notice that they time compress most shows as well. This can be seen as a dropping of some frames every second. It is especially noticeable on panning shots. The pan jumps and jerks it's way across my screen. >>

Question about editing shows. Does adding another 5 seconds of commercial time REALLY help these networks? I mean, most People just tune out of commercials alltogether anyway, so why bother?

Sigh...If only there was a pay TV Channel that showed all good stuff from the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc, commercial free, uncut, unbugged. I'd pay for it.

As far as bugs go, I remember this practice started around 1995, IIRC. Most noteably with a network I used to watch alot, USA Network. They'd have it pop up every now and again during the show, then dissapear. A bit later, it was a constant annoyance on the screen, and it seemed every other network followed suit.... All the more reason to appreciate DVD... Especially Trek on DVD. No reason to watch TNN anymore.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The WWF's TNN contract specifically forbids the black bar from what I'm told

Gene Roddenberry would have a FIT if he were alive today

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The same Gene Roddenberry that happily sold off scripts, props, and anything that wasn't nailed down on the "Star Trek" set through Lincoln Enterprises despite Desilu actually owning them? He'd just demand a cut of it. [​IMG]

14. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, it worked on me. I sure as hell don't miss cable. Spending enough money on ISPs and DVDs anyway. DBS can wait. And so can those more abrasively obnoxious station bugs on the cable channels.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I was watching MTV2 at a restaurant while eating lunch one time, and they had a "live request" type thing where people could vote on what videos got shown through their website. Problem was, the video started out normally, then after about 10 seconds shrunk to a little square on the screen while the rest of the screen showed running numbers for votes on what video was going to be shown (and ruined in the same way) next!