What's new

I Hate Tnn!!!..... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to shout. But, I just found out that CSI will be on in syndication on TNN. And that they will be using that horrible black bar at the bottom. I don't mind a small logo in the corner or even a once in a while popup. But, for a constant black bar that has no relevance most of the time but to tell you what show you are watching is irrelevant. What is worse is that the show is coming out in season box sets in Region 2. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
They compress the pictures slightly, as opposed to chopping the bottom off. This makes the stretch modes on my 16x9 look even worse. I end up going into the zoom mode (TW2), and moving the picture up to get rid of the black bar entirely. Not ideal, but what can you do?

The black bar is definitely the most intrusive bug I've ever seen. Makes you wonder...

Martin.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind a small logo in the corner or even a once in a while popup.
But I sure do! Which makes the omnipresent black bar an even worse offense. That TNN also compresses the image vertically is downright intelligence-insulting. Even TNN officials admit that audiences hate that most obtrusive and intrusive of station bugs. They know people can't stand the thing, but they run it anyway in deference to their own need to self-promote.

I've been without cable for four months now. And I still don't miss it. Wonder why?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey, you guys aren't complaining about the black bar now are you? ;)
TNN, otherwise known as the all ST:TNG network! I mean I love that show, but that seems to be the only thing they ever show! And oh yeah, that damn black bar is the most pompous thing on any network! I mean, God forbid we actually forget what were watching every few seconds! :rolleyes
I guess it's for people with Leonards condition from 'Memento' or something. Ridiculous.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
How about the consideration that I have satellite...Just by scrolling the channel listing, I can see that channel 457 is TNN, that Star Trek is on, (Not to mention the exact name of the episode), and that Mad TV is on next. Sheesh, this black bar tells me NOTHING that my satellite doesn't tell me. In fact, the dish tells me more. A complete and utter waste.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Yes, nobody except the marketing morons at TNN love their black bar. It's only going to get worse. I'm sure there will soon be other intrusive pop-up garbage and maybe even a separate scrolling bar for moronic chatroom text like "this is Steve from CHicago and I LUV CSI....its the raddesT show EVA..the NeW TNN ROX!!!!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Because of that black bar, I have blocked TNN from my cable, even though they show "Diff'rent Strokes" reruns and used to show "Alice," "Newhart," and "WKRP in Cincinnati."

If those shows were being aired uncut, I'd be even more vexed.

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
To add another layer of insult...look closely. You will notice that they time compress most shows as well. This can be seen as a dropping of some frames every second. It is especially noticeable on panning shots. The pan jumps and jerks it's way across my screen.

They started with the black bar...then they squeeze the picture so nothing is being hidden, but everything is distorted.

Then they compress the show...I'm scared to see what they come up with next!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have hated screen bugs since their inception. I've wanted them to go away even before others found them to be a nuisance. I've signed petitions, sent complaint letters, and bitched and moaned to anyone who would listen. Yet they are still here. I'm guessing the general public just rolled over about them. It would be nice to see Entertainment Weekly or TVGuide do a peice on them.

Any contract for syndication on TNN should come with an immediate start of a program on DVD for people who don't want to deal with this crap.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>To add another layer of insult...look closely. You will notice that they time compress most shows as well. This can be seen as a dropping of some frames every second. It is especially noticeable on panning shots. The pan jumps and jerks it's way across my screen. >>

Question about editing shows. Does adding another 5 seconds of commercial time REALLY help these networks? I mean, most People just tune out of commercials alltogether anyway, so why bother?

Sigh...If only there was a pay TV Channel that showed all good stuff from the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc, commercial free, uncut, unbugged. I'd pay for it.

As far as bugs go, I remember this practice started around 1995, IIRC. Most noteably with a network I used to watch alot, USA Network. They'd have it pop up every now and again during the show, then dissapear. A bit later, it was a constant annoyance on the screen, and it seemed every other network followed suit.... All the more reason to appreciate DVD... Especially Trek on DVD. No reason to watch TNN anymore.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The WWF's TNN contract specifically forbids the black bar from what I'm told

Gene Roddenberry would have a FIT if he were alive today

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The same Gene Roddenberry that happily sold off scripts, props, and anything that wasn't nailed down on the "Star Trek" set through Lincoln Enterprises despite Desilu actually owning them? He'd just demand a cut of it. :)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'm sure there will soon be other intrusive pop-up garbage and maybe even a separate scrolling bar for moronic chatroom text like "this is Steve from CHicago and I LUV CSI....its the raddesT show EVA..the NeW TNN ROX!!!!"
Oxygen is doing exactly this on their Xena reruns. Random droolings from morons popping up in a TNN-like black bar across the bottom. "Gabby rulez... I like leather..." Barf. I couldn't lunge for the remote quickly enough.

I have to hand it to the basic cable networks for their unending creativity in finding ways to annoy, enrage and ultimately chase off their viewers.

Ryan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, it worked on me. I sure as hell don't miss cable. Spending enough money on ISPs and DVDs anyway. DBS can wait. And so can those more abrasively obnoxious station bugs on the cable channels.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was watching MTV2 at a restaurant while eating lunch one time, and they had a "live request" type thing where people could vote on what videos got shown through their website. Problem was, the video started out normally, then after about 10 seconds shrunk to a little square on the screen while the rest of the screen showed running numbers for votes on what video was going to be shown (and ruined in the same way) next!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks