I hate the NBC PROMO VOICE GUY!!!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason Walstrom, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I hate him and his labored deep voice and the faux dramatic emphasis!!! It does not make me want to watch NBC's show more! "An all new Crossing Jordan..." "An all new ER...." "An all new Law and Order Special Victims Unit...." I hate his voice I hate it! Make it stop! Make it stop! *DEEP VOICE* "An all new ER...Dr. Carter get's a cybernetic implant...blah blah"

NBC please fire this jackass!!!

2. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

He is way over the top.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, but when they pull him out for comedies, you know right then and there that it's a sloppy, not-very-funny episode of Frasier you can avoid. [​IMG]

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The voice is just adding insult to injury for those blatant lies they use as promos at NBC. ER is "the best it has ever been", a Law&Order "twist you won't believe" and crap like that.

5. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Isnt the guy that does those promos Optimus Prime from the 80's Transformer cartoons?

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree! I hate that voice too, and his singsongy overdramatic intonation. I can't stand those promos, and the fact that, as others have pointed out, NBC's promos normally lie about the content and tone of the show, isn't helping.

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Is it actually the voice that is irratating or is the scripts he is forced to read?

What bugs me is that every ER or Law and Order always have some dire concept to the next show such as a 'twist' or "something you won't believe'

Paul

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My most hysterical memory of this guy is for a promo for a "West Wing" a few seasons back, where after describing the next show, he intones ominously "oh yeah, did we mention the missing submarine?"

When the show aired, that plotline really had very little of the tension that he built up. But before then, with a good knowledge of the show, a missing submarine just sounded ludicrous.

Promos on all networks have gotten out of hand.

9. Jason Walstrom

"On an all new ER...The Fit hits the Shan!"

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I don't think you hate the voiceover, I think you hate what he has to say and how the director wants him to say it. [​IMG]

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Maybe, but it's natural to associate the voice with the content, so you hate the voice. Well, I hate the voice.

The only thing more annoying is the little ditties they come up with, raping melodies from famous song and replacing the words with these real cheesy "lyrics" about the show.

12. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of announcers, what about Stuttering John of Jay Leno's The Tonight Show? HE IS ABSOLUTELY HORRID!

13. Jason Walstrom

Isnt the guy that does those promos Optimus Prime from the 80's Transformer cartoons?
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Say it ain't so Optimus! Seriously I'd rather hear Megatron doing promo's.

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG]
    I know what you mean. I agree.
    [​IMG]

This guy pops up on other networks too I've noticed. So it's not just NBC viewers that must endure this breathy, worse-than-Bill-Shatner-ever-was-at-overdramatics annoyance.

Still, each time I hear "All-new E.R.; NBC Thursday!" I laugh out loud and start imitating the guy to keep myself amused. [​IMG]

The bigger question might be: WHO in their right mind at NBC (in charge of putting on the promos like the ones "Mr. Breath" annoys us with daily) would actually think to themselves -- "Yeah, this sounds good. Nice and unrealistic-sounding. More "breathy" than Marilyn Monroe. Sounds like he needs to be in the E.R. instead of advertising the next episode! Yeah--that guy's for us!" [​IMG]

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

What I can't stand are promos pitching comedies and dramas and the voiceover changes tone. FOX is guilty of this. For example. "...On a hilarious Simpsons" he speaks in a lighthearted, comedic tone, and then his voice drastically changes to breathless, overdramatic tone when he describes "an all new 24..."

16. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

That guy's name is Peter Cullen. (My antenna doesn't pick up NBC, so I haven't heard these NBC promos myself, though.)

17. Jason Walstrom

I don't think that's the guy though, the "An all new Crossing Jordan..." guy doesn't sound like Optimus to me.

Tonight I will watch NBC to hear his voice and learn to perfectly imitate it for the purpose of a nice dramatic voice mail message.