I hate the Mad Cat in Mech Assault!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo_P, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

You want an exercise in frustration? Try to play "Not It!" and have a Mad Cat be it! I'm trying to hit it with my lasers or auto-cannons or spitballs but I can't, because it's got it's STUPID target jamming on, meanwhile it's hitting me with level 3 PPC's. I swear, I respawned this one time and a Mad Cat (who was It) hit me with a PPC shot and took away 2/3 of my health, and I was playing as an Atlas!
    So I say to myself: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But I can't play as a Mad Cat, I'm too used to my Atlas. I will begrudgingly admit that it takes SOME skill to pilot a Mad Cat, but that target jamming's GOT TO GO!!! EVERY weapon in the game benefits from some form of lock-on. It's a totally unfair advantage on a mech with that much fire-power, speed, maneuverability and armor.[​IMG]
    On a side note, how come like 80% of the time I see people getting dropped? It doesn't matter if it's 8 players or 6. There was one time were it was 4 players trying to play Not It and one got dropped.
    Then I hear people say that it helps if you're on mute, but that ain't so! I don't even have my communicator plugged in anymore (there's TOO MANY a$$holes talking $hit on XBL now) and I still get dropped from time to time. Sometimes if I'm hosting, I count to ten after everyone's ready but people still get dropped. Other times I launch as soon as everyone's ready and nobody drops. Weird.
    Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.:b I'm feeling much better now.[​IMG]

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I myself have been dropped once. I've seen others get dropped maybe 20-30% of the time.

Anyways, I don't really mind the Mad Cat that much, partly because it doesn't have jump jets. I play with the Uziel or Ragnarok most of the time.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The Mad Cat takes absolutely NO skill to play with. All you have to do is lock on with the PPC and fire and repeat.

But I have no problem whooping them with my prometheus and hammer missiles.

4. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I have found the key is waiting for just the right moment when the target jamming drops, then drilling the Mad Cat with missles from far away. I like the Catapult. Also, the level 3 lasers on the Catapult make it easy to get in closer to the Mad Cat, drill it, then use the jump jets just as he is charging the PPCs.

Of course, there's always the strategy of letting someone else do the dirty work, then launching missles from afar to get the kill...but I would never do that.:wink:

My connection is fair and I rarely get dropped. I've hosted probably 20 games and haven't really had a problem with that, either. I heard about muting, too, but as far as I can tell, there is no rhyme or reason to the droppings.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Rob,

I find that even at moderate distances, the catapult's lasers do wonders. Plus, you can manually target with the lasers and do nice damage.

6. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

If you match two mech pilots with the exact same level of skill and put one in a Mad Kitty and the other one in a _______ (fill in the blank), the Mad Kitty will always win, everything else being equal. It is too powerful.

However, having said that, I have been known to take down a Mad Cat with my lowly Vulture in a 1:1 scenario before (right MrDarthVader and PoisonJam?).

I can't play a Mad Cat either as I can never consistently target the PPCs well enough. I don't have the same problem targeting my Vulture's missiles! I guess I'm just too used to my Vulture.

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

The Mad Cat is one bad mutha. Too bad I haven't the skill to pilot it. I always overheat the damn thing, so I can't fire. Meanwhile, I'm being rammed up the exhaust pipe with missiles, cannons, machine guns, and energy beams of all sorts.

Put me in an Atlas or a Thor and I'm a much happier person. I am especially fond of the Atlas' cannons. Power those babies up and you have one lethal mech.

8. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I agree... I find the Mad Cat's jamming and PPC's very irritating. I usually play as a Timberwolf, and it's ridiculous to get knocked out with just three hits.

My strategy is to usually drill them with the gauss rifle, then open up on them with missels once the jamming wears off.

As for dropping, does anyone else notice the problem is a lot worse with Mech Assault compared to other Xbox Live games? I drop quite frequently in Mech Assault, but I have never dropped in Ghost Recon.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Perhaps the new patch will bring down the Cat some in multiplayer? Maybe halve the targetjamming time?

11. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

12. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

What can I say? I am unskilled [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

i like the game, but the above issues that have sprung up on live have turned me away from it. Maybe they could add a search option for no madcat mode...

15. Dave Falasco

16. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I think the backlash against Madcats stems at least partly from so many people playing them. When I log into a room with 4 or 5 Madcats I just log back out again, regardless of what team they are on. The same goes for Ragnaroks - I enjoy the challenge of taking on one, but when I see one team with 3 Rags, I move on.

The best battles I've seen are with varied mechs, usually a mix of light, medium, and heavy. Those are great battles, unfortunately often they are the minority during any gaming session.

While I doubt the upcoming updates will "fix" any mechs, I'm hoping the new mechs will inject a new spirit of variety into the mech population.

17. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

18. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I love playing Madcat but i also picked up the catapult the last few times i played

capt

19. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

20. Dave Falasco