What's new

I hate the fall - nothing worth watching (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
September and October are usually the deadest time of year for films worth watching. This year is no different. All the big summer films are out and on their way out and nothing now till at least Oct 25. Thankfully, Nov and Dec will make up for the complete lack of a single worthwhile film till then.

It seems to me that spreading out the blockbusters would perhaps help all of them. December is full of blockbusters and apart from movie buffs like those of us who visit this forum, how many people will pony up for 4 or 5 movies in a month? A single quality film in Septemeber or October would be a nice change from the sappy, regurgitated themes of B-flicks and fill-ins.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Well, Miyazaki's Spirited Away is out in September. Hopefully it'll have a wide enough release to play in Halifax (Mononoke opened limited and we got it 2 months later).

I agree on November and December, though. The Two Towers, Femme Fatale, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can -- a lot of exciting stuff.

Mark

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't really matter to me since I will be busy at school especially the first couple of months. I hate that there is nothing at the end of summer to see.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I think there are quite a few potentially good films to see over the next couple months:

Red Dragon
Frida
Ring
Heaven
Spirited Away
The Four Feathers
Punch-Drunk Love

I'm sure a few more will pop up out of nowhere as well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well for sure Heaven, Four Feathers, Punch-Drunk Love all might drag their feet in getting to middle America. Those are probably several months away from any but the trendiest cities.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I disagree completely about there being nothing worth watching. My most anticipated film comes out this fall, that film being the remake of THE RING. The original is an absolutely freaky masterpiece of horror, and from the looks of the trailer, as well as some pretty good reviews from fellow horror fans, it looks like it could turn out to be the best remake since Cronenberg's THE FLY! Plus, I love the 100% gorgeous Naomi Watts, and I see everything she is in, and I am very happy to see her in a horror film! Seriously, this is the only remake I'm really looking forward to, and I truly don't think I'll be disappointed. Probably won't beat the original though.
There are also several other groovy looking films coming out throughout the fall, such as THEY, GHOST SHIP, RED DRAGON (okay, I guess its two remakes I'm looking forward to :) ) and a few others. So I disagree.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I dunno I'm looking forward to The Salton Sea, Spirited Away, Tuck Everlasting, the Four Feathers in september october.

the falls also a great time to catch up on viewing those dvds that haven't yet been watched, or watched in a while.

then theres november december which are Harry Potter, LOTR TTT, Gangs of Newy york, Catch me if you Can, Punchdrunk Love among many others.

Adam

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yup, Fall's the dry season. The only film on my radar right now is Tuck Everlasting, assuming Disney hasn't smalsified it too much.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
the falls also a great time to catch up on viewing those dvds that haven't yet been watched, or watched in a while.
I would concede that this fall will be a slaughter...of my credit limits for DVD! That doesn't include my upgrade to the Denon 1803 and a new set of Monitor 5s. I eagerly anticipate that FOTR in DTS-ES, with 30 minutes more footage.

Still; I love those trips to the Silver City theaters. Maybe Pitch Black 2,3 and 4 will be among the B movies that get a fall release??

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Man, you guys are demanding. I can think of a good handful of movies that I want to see and a few that I'm interested in. I'm personally really looking forward to the fall.
Maybe Pitch Black 2,3 and 4 will be among the B movies that get a fall release??
Dosent the director for Pitch Black have a new movie coming out this fall, named something like below? I think I read it's about a haunted sub during WW2? Anyway it's one of those movies I'm looking forward too.
:D

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
JohnB, it is called BELOW, and it's written by Darren Aronofsky, he of PI/REQUIEM FOR A DREAM fame.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wide releases from August 16th to September 30th:

The Adventures of Pluto Nash**
Blue Crush*
Simone**
Serving Sara*
Undisputed**
Fear Dot Com*
City by the Sea**
Swimfan*
Barbershop*
Stealing Harvard**
The Transporter
Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever*
The Banger Sisters**
The Four Feathers**
Slap Her, She's French**
Trapped**
Sweet Home Alabama
The Tuxedo**

* = Delayed or 'pushed back' once or twice
** = Delayed or 'pushed back'either A) several times or B) by more than five months.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My local theater must agree. They've gone from 4 shows daily to only 1 evening show on weekdays. Must be the crowds are getting a bit small.
EDIT: Actually, I just got an email from the theater saying the schedule I was sent yesterday was wrong. They are still having 4 shows daily, so I guess they haven't given up on the currently available titles yet. :D

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be watching:
In Praise of Love
Spirited Away
Heaven
The Grey Zone
Punch-Drunk Love
Auto Focus
Bowling for Columbine
Better than any other two month stretch so far this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks