1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

I hate stickers on fruit

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Plums especially because most of the time they're hard to remove and once you do get them off you peel the skin off with it. It's ok if there are stickers on oranges, bananas, watermelon and so on because you don't eat their skins but stickers on fruits in which you do eat the skin like plums, nectarines, apricots, apples, etc.- sucks! And it seems like they've made it a mission to put a bloody sticker on every fruit now whereas before stickers were just on a few of the fruits you'd buy.

Why don't they put stickers on each and every individual grape for chrissakes! I wouldn't be surprised if they do one day.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I think productivity must be about zilch in our economy when plums and peaches are stickered.

I've been ranting about that for years.

But it does no good, even as we bitch now, tatoos are being bred into GM foods [​IMG]

3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I'll let you in on a little secret. My father is a peach farmer. He hates having to do the stickers too... it slows down productivity and costs him money.

Why are there stickers then, you might ask. We can thank the big super markets that buy the fruit. You see, the stickers need to be there so the cashier knows what they are ringing up... sad, but true. [​IMG]

4. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Well that's silly! Wouldn't it be easier to just price all of the fruit the same? [​IMG]

Seriously, though. You'd think that they'd put flavoring in the stickers. They taste horrible!

Glenn

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Actually its harder than you think. I used to work at a super market and we had over 10 different kinds of apples and over 5 different kinds of peaches - all of which are difficult to distinguish from one another. Without the stickers on produce , your groceries would take a lot longer to run through because the cashiers would be forced to look up the numbers.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, I hate the ones on the plums the worst. Some cashiers don't even look for the number, they see peaches and they'll plug in the standard peach produce code. I just got some large peaches this way the other day, I bought some peaches that were supposed to be not on sale and were like $1.99/lb but they looked way much better than the peaches that were on sale for .79/lb. Well the cashier saw peaches and I guess instinctively put in the produce code for the peaches that were on sale so I got better, more expensive peaches for the sale price!

Plus, one time when I was mischarged by the cashier, something like buying gala apples when they were macintosh. Because the cashier messed up, I got the whole bag free. I don't recall if the cashier misread the code or what..

Jay

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Explain to me how uneducated cashiers are the farmers problems?

I guess if the store won't buy unstickered produce, that would be a problem for the farmer.

11. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

There has to be a better way than putting a friggin' sticker on something I'll put directly in my mouth. I mean I do wash all my fruit before eating it but it just seems wrong and very old fashioned to put stickers on fruit. And as we know the stickers are hard to peel off sometimes and it takes time trying not to tear the skin while peeling them off. Unless you're going to eat the fruit immediately it doesn't matter if you tear off the skin with the sticker or not, but I seldom eat fruit right after I wash it. Especially all the fruit I just bought.

Somehow I think this mess can be avoided considering all the technology we have at our disposal.

12. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

14. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

16. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I've noticed those stickers and they don't bother me at all. Hell, I always rinse the fruit before eating but I don't even take the sticker off sometimes...... :p)

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Really simple .... If you don't like the stickers, buy the apples that don't have stickers on them!!!

Not all fruit of a batch(gala apple Etc) are stickered.

Brent

18. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

20. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Mike D, sadly, I have to agree with your comment about the apathy or unawareness.

The stickers are part of the price of tremendous variety on the shelf, and a highly automated economy where machines make the decisions.

Those city dwellers who babble about the free market will be eating Soylent Green some day [​IMG]