I hate plumbers!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My crap-ass polybutylene water line sprung a leak (just realized it when my water bill was huge last month). Checked the front yard, and yep, nice soggy ground from the leak in the water line.

I know I'm getting hosed on the repair ($1250), but at least they won't have to dig up my yard too badly, they going to pull the existing line through with a burrrowing head on one end with some super-strong jet line cable, and then use their truck to pull it through, thus, they'll be going through the same "tunnel" as the existing line, but they'll be putting in a copper line this time.

Yep, just less then a week before X-mas when this hits the fan. Sigh...

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Bummer, Patrick.
    A couple of summers ago, my drain line (very old house) clogged, and sewage backed up. PEEEEEWWWWWWW!
    I could have dug it up myself, like I did in my previous house, but that took 2 weeks pick and shovel work.
    So I called a plumber/sewage line guy that was recommended, and he replaced the whole line for a grand and it only took him all day, even with a backhoe, because he ripped up my plastic water line with the friggin backhoe, and he had to fix that, too. Well, I appreciate that, but he got sand in the water line, and I had to diassemble all the faucets AND toilet mechanisms to get them to work. AND, he totally destroyed my lawn and 4 azaleas that were about 40 years old, just in the middle of the worst drought we had in years. Now my yard is mostly sand and weeds: when I cut the weeds, my lawnmower filter clogs up, and I've had to take it in for repairs twice.
    You just can't win. [​IMG]

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Patrick - Would your home owner's insurance cover any of the costs?

4. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

polybutylene water line

wasn't there a class action suit and recall on this stuff a few years ago??

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Patrick,

Just make sure that the plumbing contractor uses the "proper" water service pipe....it must be certified for POTABLE water use. In Canada, it must be CSA certified. Not sure what it is in the US....UL? AWWA (American Water and Waste Association) certified as well.

Also, the right pipe type should be considered, some are better than others (others aren't suited for some certain areas)....check with the building/public works inspector in your city/town. Also, make sure it's installed at the right depth...ensure that it's below the minimum frost pentration depth in your area....you don't want your newly installed pipe to freeze up on you.

Dave

- added AWWA certification

6. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Hey, I resent your statement. I'm a plumber.
    I also travel through pipes to a parallel universe where I rescue the same Princess from the same castle a million different times [​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Supposedly I may make it under the 10 year class action suit which will pay for most of the repair cost of the replacement of polybutylene. I need to find the phone number to call from one of my neighbors (many other house in the neighborhood has a nice looking trench from this type of "repair" so I knew my day was coming).

I'd rather not even contact my home insurance company for stuff like this (they'd get even with me in the long run).

John, don't take it too personally. Just bummed about having to shell out the dough during the holiday season.

8. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

When we bought our current house, it had polybutylene and we insisted they replace it as part of settlement. The run from the street to house is ~ 200 ft and cost ~$2500.

Your price sounds reasonable. We had little lawn disturbance, you can't even tell they did it !

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, the deed is done, and I'm so much poorer for it.
    It was cool to watch to guy pull the new copper pipe through the existing polybuttholelene pipe with aircraft wire and a burrowing bit. There's only a bit of disturbed grass at the water meter now, the "flower" bed was where it came into the house near the sewer tap, and it's all raked back up, no real harm there either.
    My neighbor was a little jealous that I had the copper pipe pulled through without having the yard trenched up. I even took a ton of photos (I'm sure the plumber dude loved that), and even got a shot of plumber's crack. [​IMG]
    It doesn't look like I'll have much luck in getting any class action settlement money due to the age of the pipe (over 10 years old), though the house was built just under 10 years ago. We'll see.

12. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

13. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

John Besse had this to say

14. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Actually, I'm not really a plumber. I'm you average internet help desk guy. I get paid really good to sit on my ass and answer dumb questions about AOL.

15. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

16. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

17. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Patrick,

Sorry to hear this. My townhouse has polybutylene plumbing also. What caused the piped to break in your yard? Ours has been reliable so far but I have looked into getting the house re-plumbed with copper lines which will run us between 4000-6000 bucks. Not cheap.

I have a tree in my front yard that I'm considering having taken down. I'm worried the roots may eventually cause some kind of damage to the pipe running into the house from the street.

Jeff

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, many of my neighbors have had to repace the water line, so it's just the age of the pipe and crappy manafacturer who didn't realize that the chlorine in the water would eat it from the inside.