I Hate My New Grado Headphones.....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Justin Ward, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I bought a new set of SR-80s and I must say I despise them. I was perfectly happy with the sound of my Paradigms and then I had to buy these things. I just can't enjoy my Titans as much as I used to now that I've been listening to these[​IMG] .

These things are amazing! They've only been used about 14 hours so they've probably not even fully brken in yet and they are seriously the best thing I have ever heard. The level of detail is astonishing, the midrange is simply the best I've ever heard in my life. The bass is a little weak for my tastes but I think that may improve as they break in. But the bass I do hear is very tight and detailed. I felt like crying after listening to my Titans/Tempest after listening to these. I had no idea what I was missing with the Titans. Mind you I am by no means disappointed with the 'digms considering their price.

My only beef with the Grados is they look and feel very cheap and are kind of uncomfortable. But the sound makes them well worth the price.

2. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I owned my Sr60s before I bought paradigms and found Titans fit into my idea of great sound when I went shopping for speakers.

I did upgrade to studio60s just after a year later though.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Are you really surprised that your headphones sound better? No room interaction, no phase cancelling, very near-field monitoring, etc. Even some cheap 'phones sound better than some mid-fi speaker systems. I just do not like headphones because the music always seems to be coming from the center of my head. Seems unnatural.

4. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

On the issue of comfort -

My sr80's came with extra soft foam earpads. They didn't sound quite as good, but then someone on this forum suggested cutting holes in them around the size of a quarter. I did that, and now I have the best of both worlds.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Justin, I feel your pain [​IMG]

I have the Grado SR60 for years and these cans are just amazing. I have been thinking of upgrading to the SR80. From what I've read on head-fi.org, the SR80's sound quality improves considerably when driven by a dedicated headphone amp.

Just got a pair of the highly reviewed Sennheiser PX-100 for portable use....excellent, but still can't compared to the SR60/80.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I had a pair of Grado SR-60's and I sold them because they were so uncomfortable. Seriously.[​IMG]

But they did sound good.

10. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Danny:

I own a pair of SR80s and have made both CMOY and META42 amps. Depending on your source, the dedicated amp doesn't make that much of a difference for these headphones. They are very easy to drive. Of course if you add a crossfeed to your amp, that will definitely change how they sound. I'm considering tweaking my META42 to add a crossfeed, stacked buffers and an Alps pot (maybe larger caps too), but I don't use it much so I'm not sure if I will.

11. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Wayne,
    Could you please point me to the magazine articles you are referring too? I would like to read some PX100 reviews.
    Thanks,

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

BradJudy,

Thanks for the info regarding the SR80. I have always used my SR60 driven with a Panasonic portable CD player's headphone output. They sounded very good together. A couple of months back, I auditioned the SR80 and found very little difference between the two models. Certainly not enough for an "upgrade".

Russell,

Click on the head-fi.org link above. Do a search on the PX-100 in the headphone section of the site. You will find literally hundreds of actual users/owners opinions regarding the PX-100, including comparison of it to the SR60 and the PX-200.

13. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Thanks. I have that link. I thought you were talking about the audio rags.

14. Michael St. Clair

I still have a pair of RS60s, great cans.

Grados have a great warm sound but I usually listen with circumaural Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones these days. Ears don't burn and far more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I had the Grado's SR 125's. I thought they were quite decent but very uncomftorable. The right speaker finally quit and although I tried to fix it (to no avail) I decided to buy some new cans instead of taking them in to get fixed. I checed out the Sennheisers and can honestly say I will never be going back to Grado. More detailed sound, fit very nicely, I can wear them for hours and don't even notice there on my head, the cord is detachable and doesn't coil up like the Grado's. The model I went with is the Senns HD-590.

16. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'm a Sennheiser man myself (HD580's), and i can tell you that unless you plan to fork over some serious money for speakers & an equally good integrated (or pre+amp combo), don't expect your speaker system to sound nearly as good as your headphones.

now, might i suggest getting a headphone amp for your new Grados? it really does make a big difference in the sound!

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would take the comfort over the sound quality (as long as it wasn't that much different) anyday. I cant stand them things on my head for more that a couple hours. Saying that I have a pair of the new version 2 bose noise canceling phones that I use when traveling. I wish the upper end headphone companies could take a comfort lesson from these as I can wear them for hours on end.