What's new

I hate my JVC XV-501 DVD Player. What a paperweight. (1 Viewer)

quote: "I have a first gen Panasonic A300U that has not given me a problem in about 5 years. The fact that you anticipate that your equipment will/may die within a few years of purchase it is not my idea of quality."
I for one would never buy anything Panasonic again. I had an A120, 3 laser replacements, then it was finally out of warrenty. Upgraded to an A120, and more laser problems, plus the draw jammed twice. They have lousy build quality and lousy quality control. Been turned off to Panny's since.
[Edited last by William Anthony on August 06, 2001 at 10:34 AM]

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Include me in the group of people with problems with the JVC 501. I originally received this unit when it came out about 2 years ago. It worked fine for a month, then I rented Arlington Road. Apparently, this player does not like this movie. Luckily, I was on day number 30, so I was able to replace the player. I traded for the 511, and have had no problems since. I'm hoping that JVC just had a problem with the *01 series, and it's an isolated incident. Overall, I've had good success with the 511, and my old DPL receiver(soon to be upgraded) I am kind of on the line with considering JVC in a new receiver. It's just so tempting when you consider price and functions.
~J

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree Jason.
I think the 721BK is an OUTSTANDING player for the money. From what I've read/heard, People have said that the progressive picture quality is on a par with units which go for $1,500 or more. My problem is that the unit apparently overheated (no, I had nothing concealed on or over the player) six-weeks after popping it out of the box. I will ship it back to JVC later this week in Irvine, CA for repairs....I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any further problems with this otherwise great player.
Reg

Todd N

Grip
HTF MEMBERS...
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!
I bought the piece-of-shit JVC XV-501 DVD player a while back, and had reliable service for about 6 mos. It was terrible - freezes, breakups, jams, every freaking thing under the sun. After a while, I only used it as a CD player. I finally junked the thing about 2 weeks ago and bought a pioneer...
Incidentally, the JVC was my second DVD player. My first was the Panasonic A110 - and let me tell you (thank GOD) I have NEVER had a problem with it. It survived the whole Matrix DVD fiasco with flying colors and everything else. In fact, my A110 is the PRIMARY player in my HT setup. She rocks!!! I understand that many people have had problems with their Panasonic players (A110 and up) but I just wanted to give a positive account with regard to her performance. She does far better than that JVC EVER did...
Peace...
One
------------------
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Frederick

Second Unit
I think you fella's jinxed me
rolleyes.gif
Last night I finally got around to watching my Akira DVD ... well, I THOUGHT I was going to be watching it. I put the disk in, closed the door, walked back to my loveseat, and I heard a "clink" against the glass door of my rack. The DVD player SPIT THE BLOODY DISK OUT! Every time I closed the tray, it would read the disk, and then open the tray. I did this about three times, and by the fourth time I thought maybe I had a bad disk. Not so. My PS2 plays the disk with no problems. It's the DVD player. 501BK. It's history. I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of it. It didn't play a couple of other disks, but a lot of people were having problems with those disks on various DVD players, so I didn't trip too hard. And I did have to reboot it a couple of times, and I did have it freeze on me once. But this is the last straw. Now I have to decide between Panasonic's RP56 or the RP61. No more JVC for me. Shame, too. I had a 32" JVC tv that I gave to my mom once I got my 43" Sony. Beautiful picture. Never had a problem, and it's still going strong. Oh well. Panasonic, here I come ....
Freddy
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."

Todd N

Grip
I always love when it says either:
PAL Disc
-or-
REGION CODING ERROR!!!
Peace...
One
------------------
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Westly T

Second Unit
I had one of the early model JVC DVD players from when JVC first came out with DVD. The first model I had was the lower model, and it would lock up intermittently. To get it to work again I had to unplug it. I took it back and got the top model, and got a very good price on it. I had hoped it would be better, but it was even worse. The real pain was to unplug it I had to remove a panel on my entertainment system and crawl behind it. I got such a good deal on it (I thought it was a good deal anyway), so I sent it in for service. The service center could not fix the problem so they sent it to a JVC center for repair. Several weeks later I got a call from JVC, the said they couldn't repair it. They offered to exchange it for a new model, but it was the lower line model, so I said no. They ended up refunding the purchase price of the unit.
Also during this time I stopped by a Sears and saw the same JVC DVD in the store display was locked up just like mine.
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,Ok, you will all think I am crazy but I have recently purchased a JVC XV-D723GD DVD player.I love it because it plays dinosaur flawlessly,and sails through any DVD menu I can throw at it.I love the fact that it plays DVD audio very well and has a video processing chip in it from a company called MEDIAMATICS.I can now watch non anamorphic DVDs on my Mitsubishi 16x9 high def t.v. in full progressive scan in the correct ratio(not sretched)and all this for $300.00 new.Yes JVC has dropped the price over 50% to eliminate excessive inventory.It is also the same player as ROTELs new $1500.00 dvd player.This is a fact.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
William, I'm with you. I've purchased two different Panasonic Technics receivers over the last year. The second one had a quality problem out of the box. The older one then quit decoding the digital bitstream. TWO IN A ROW! I empathize with those of you and your one JVC item problem, but I've had two Pannys in a row with lousy quality, so where's my class action lawsuit?

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Well,it sounds like a couple specific JVC models definitely have problems. However, I've got to say how impressed I am withe the JVC XV-S65GD. I'm using its interlaced output on a Sony XBR450. It is producing the best video I have seen among the models I've tried [comparably priced Toshiba & Sony models]. Menu access is lightning fast, the drive is almost silent, the styling of this unit is great [IMHO], It has so far played every disc flawlessly.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I have a friend here in Atlanta, GA who is a "sanitation engineer". He collects trash for the JVC warehouse on Hwy. 316 in Lawrenceville. He has so many returned/defective 501 DVD players that he can open his own shop and sell them if he wanted.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
IIRC, A&B Sound here has a ton of the 501s in storage. They can't sell them because they're total lemons. Heck, the salesperson I talked to there was going to give me one for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks