I HATE my Birthday

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I Hate my birthday. Not because i am getting older (though that does suck) not because I object to celebrations, not because of anything my family does.

I hate my birthday because it is 12/02 and I am not allowed to buy or rent ANY MOVIES for myself for the four weeks prior to it (so my family can movie shop worry-free)and after it until Xmas for the same reason.

Now - If you happen to notice - some KICK ASS movies are being released each year right about this time and each year I have a family imposed embargo on movie consumption.

I haven't even watched a movie in two weeks! AAAAAHHH! Withdrwawl!

I wish I could move my birthday to a time when not so many movies are being released. Maybe February or something.

This sucks.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Really, it's YOUR birthday, do whatever you want in terms of movies.

My birthday is Dec 16, so there! [​IMG] My mom always bought me something for my birthday; I have heard horror stories of some December babies who only got Christmas presents!!!!

4. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Christmas list, birthday list, you've heard of these things, right? [​IMG]

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I hate birthdays in general. People tell me not to buy DVDs around birthday or xmas, I buy them anyway. If they give me something I have then I just return it at Walmart and get something else.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Before your birthday roles around you should know everything that's going to come out on CD/DVD between then and X-mas. Give you folks/friends a list of what you are going to buy and a list of stuff you want but that you never have gotten around to buying.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Plus, if they don't buy some of the titles you want, you miss the release-week pricing and have to pay more for them later on.

And it must be the miser in me, but I HATE making Christmas lists of DVD's for my parents. I just know that I could find better prices which would enable them to save a few $$ or allow myself to get even more discs for the same money. Parents don't comparison shop BB vs. CC vs. Wal-Mart. They just go to the mall and shop at FYE and Suncoast. [​IMG]

Last year, my Mother bought me one of the Star Trek: TNG season sets at FYE for $149.99. I would have bought the same title at BJ's for $89.99. It made ME feel bad to accept this gift knowing she'd wasted $60 that she could have kept in her pocket rather than filling FYE's bank account. [​IMG]

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    "I have heard horror stories of some December babies who only got Christmas presents!!!!"

My sister's birthday is Dec 23, and we have to be careful not to blur it into the general Xmas holiday.

As another said, keep two separate gift lists!

10. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit

Two Words....

GIFT CARDS!

I tell them which stores. I can continue buying my usual DVD's and not worry about duplicates and return/exchanges.
    Also takes the pressure off of the gift giver - doesn't have to worry about whether you have the item already etc.

They have even started consolidating and buying me one huge card for one store. Like a dream come true!!!

BTW - Happy Birthday!

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

In my family, we ask everyone not to buy good gift-type things during November and December. For me, that means no DVDs during that time. I tell ya, it's no fun waiting to get the Two Towers EE, but my wife will sure enjoy giving it to me for Christmas.

I'm enjoying buying her My Little Ponies right now. She's not allowed to buy any for herself.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I get the short end of the stick because mine falls on the 18th (as is does with Katie Holmes, and Brad Pitt).

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

What you can do is make a list of DVDs you want for each but dont put everything you want. Leave a few off your wish lists for you to buy yourself to enjoy now.

I put Scarface and Lion King on my list but left off Alien Quad, X2 and Pirates of Carribean.

14. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

My Birthday is the 26th of December so it always sucked..... Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday all in one breath !! [​IMG]

15. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Okay, I can see not buying. But not renting?? That does not make much sense. Most the stuff you would rent, I'm guessing is not stuff you have much desire to own anyhow.

I would just give them a list with some stuff to choose from. Certainly you have those dvds that for some reason or another you keep putting off buying.

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

What I really hate is how all Holidays have been subordinated to economic commerce. Not buying someone a gift for their birthday, anniversary, mother's day, etc is viewed as an insult. The only way to symbolize love, affection and/or friendship is through a material good.

17. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Mine's on December 18th also, and I took advantage of the fact by asking for bigger ticket items as combined birthday/Christmas gifts. So I've never had a problem!

As for having to stop purchasing around the date, that hasn't been much of an issue either since none of my relatives would try to buy me a movie without my asking for it. I make a list and anything that will be a must buy on the release date doesn't go on it! Surprises are rare in my family, and I think everyone is happier for it.

18. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I'm with the LarryDavenport concept. Get the "must haves" when you want. Presents are those things you'd like to have, but won't keep you up at night until you get them. Haven't you alway heard that the best presents are things you'd like to have but wouldn't buy for yourself?

19. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

20. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

DaveF: My girlfriend's birthday is also Dec. 23.

I have an aunt who was born on Dec. 24, but my vote for the worst birthday goes to a friend of mine who was born on Sept. 11. At least it's easy to remember.