What's new

I Hate Maxtor!! (1 Viewer)

Scott McC.

Stunt Coordinator
two words: Western Digital "special edition". IBM drives suck for stability (75GXP anybody??) although they are fast, seagates are slow, but silent, and maxtor is just in the middle

Kami

Screenwriter
My longest lasting drives have been Maxtors. I also have some old Fujitsu's kickin around and some are 3-4+ years old and working in some of my other machines.

My worst luck has been with IBM Deathstars (AKA Deskstars)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
seagates are slow, but silent,
I think that depends on your definition of 'slow', Scott. The Barracuda IVs have high sustained data transfers rates across the disk surface. Other drives may be faster in areas, but the Seggys are pretty consistant. Plus they are so quiet that they actually feel faster and smoother (odd, but true). If you want, you can turn off the 'silent' mode and gain a small increase in speed.

Personally, I think a little too much is made of these performance specs. Anybody who really needs a fast drive should be buying SCSI anyway, not fretting over a couple of milliseconds on HDTach.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
John_Berger mirrors my experiences with HDD.
WD IDE :emoji_thumbsup:
Seagate SCSI :emoji_thumbsup:
Right now I have two WD IDEs, an 18gb and 40gb. They're relatively quick, quiet and reliable. The two Seagate Cheetahs (both 18gb) were being used for awhile and now are in stasis awaiting the arrival of another machine (upgrade-itis) which will be used in server capacity.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Only thing I'll add, is I don't know if it's different in the US, but the Seagate Barracuda 4 drives are cheaper than the lastest Maxtor ATA133 drives in Canada.

And two out of the three latest Maxtors I've seen had this annoying high pitched squeal.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I pass on Maxtor.

For SCSI I use IBM and Seagate.
For EIDE/ATA I use Western Digital.

The machine that I am writing this from has twin IBM SCSI HDs with 17,715 hours up.

I also have five Western Digital 120GB 7200 RPM Special Edition HDs. The IBM HD that came in a new G4 got pulled immediately - I won't run IBM EIDE/ATA HDs.

And Toshiba EIDE in portables (and iPod).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks