I Hate Maxtor!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

We decided to buy a cheap Maxtor HDD for one of our older machines because the 10 GB Western Digital had cone capoot. I put it in, tried to format it under NTFS and install Win2k. Wouldn't work. We took the HDD back to Compusa for exchange and tried to format it using NTFS. Same thing. So, I tried Fat32 and it seemed to install fine. Now it seems like I'm getting bad sectors and shit. I put the HDD in another machine and I'm gonna see if it'll work now. I'm never EVER getting another Maxtor. I don't care how cheap-assed they are. I've had good luck with Western Digital so far. Also, my dad don't believe the hard drive is shot. When I'm getting messages saying I have bad sectors and it won't run with NTFS, IT'S BAD.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

One word: Seagate.

3. Ken Garrison

Yeah, but they cost too much. Western Digital is pretty reliable for a reasonable price. I still gotta 1.18 GB Seagate running strong. So, Seagate is pretty good.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

All my Maxtor drives have been bulletproof. Sounds like bad luck in your case, but you can hate them if you like.

BTW, they have one of the best warranty/RMA policies in the business. If you ever need to use it.

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I have three Maxtor 40 gig 7200 RPM drives. No problems with any of them.

6. Ken Garrison

I'm gonna send this Maxtor back and see if we can get our money back.

7. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

8. Peter Gizzi

Peter Gizzi Agent

Here's my two cents...I have always stuck with Western Digital and have never had a problem with any drive I have ever owned. Personally, I think they make the best IDE drives in the business.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Because I maintain some very large SANs, I've had the opprotunity to work with just about every band of disk out there. For SCSI disks, I'll only ever buy Seagate disks. And if I need an IDE disk, I'll only ever buy IBM disks. Everything else fails too often.

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

11. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've used maxtor, seagate, western digital, and ibm over the past few years.

Seagate - 3 drive failures on 6 drives(2 as part of a Quad SCSI Raid were SCA/SCSI) and two fantastic
    successes with the 9.1GB Barracuda 68 pin SCSI. RMAs issued and new drives arrived about 1.5 weeks later.

Quantum - 1 drive failure (cheap SCSI trailblazer series) - Replaced on the spot at Apple Service center

IBM - 1 IDE 40+GB GXP with no failures (fingers crossed)

Western Digital - 2 18GB WD IDE Expert Drives still in use without problems, 2 120GB/8MB IDE Cache Drives - 1 has failed and it's replacement has taken about a month after they switched their Support site. Replacement should arrive Tomorrow.

Maxtor - 2 IDE 40GB drives without issues

End result - It's a matter of luck and perhaps a need for more cooling with the case of the Quad Raid and the WD 120GB in a firewire case. I don't think any of them have much of difference in replacement service. Most drives require shipment via tracked carrier and eventually you get one back. If Maxtor wants you to retest, why not claim you did so initially? Nothing is going to change the situation and you more than likely already ran all their tests in the first place. Not all drive failures will produce a fail on either the long or short testing. It doesn't also account for "whining" noises that suddenly appear sometimes before it croaks.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I got the same drive as jeff, 40gig, 7200rpm... been running strong for a month or two now...

13. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I build computers often and have noticed that Maxtor drives Fail more often then the Western Digital drives. Dont know if it is just bad luck on my part but I have had on multiple Maxtor hard drives the same damn problems that Ken was experiencing and it was a pain to get Maxtor to replace even being a reseller. [​IMG]
    Havnt used any seagates in awhile and IBM drives are no longer being produced by IBM here in the near future. Out of all the Western Digitals I have installed only 3 have failed (out of around 200) which is not bad at all IMHO.
    KyleS

14. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I admin a network of about 200 computers, and I see at least 1 hard drive failure each month. My conclusions are that any hard drive is pretty much as good as any other (barring some bad batches), and that all of them are as likely to fail at any given point in time. These are moving parts, and moving parts WILL fail given time.

I've got two dead IBMs on my desk which I'll be shipping back this week. Last month I replaced a WD and a Maxtor. Two months ago I had a seagate die. Thats all about par for the course. You are going to get burned at some time, so the best thing to do is get the drive that offers the best warranty.

15. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Yet more two cents...
    I will only use Western Digital. I've found that they're the fastest and most reliable of all of the hard drives that I have ever used.
    Seagates are good, but I've gotten too many bad sectors is too short a time with their IDE drives. (Their SCSI drives are tops, though.)
    Maxtor I've found to have by far the slowest transfer rates; however, I've also found that they're more reliable than Seagate.
    The last eight or nine drives that I've bought have been WD and I can't say that I've had a probl;em with any of them.
    Of course, now that i've said that.... [​IMG]

16. Ken Garrison

Ok, I successfully got an RMA number. The lady was really nice. They told me to run the diagnostics first. It failed and I called them back with the error code. They told me it's bad, so I got an RMA number and mailed it back. Should be getting a new one in about a month. Western Digitals 10 GB 5400 RPM drives ARE bad. I got one, it gone titties up, I aquired an RMA number and sent it back, and the drive they sent back started to do the same shit. Western Digital don't want to admit it either. And they also said on The Screen Savers on TechTv that their 10 Giggers were bad. Well, so far, all the other Western Digital drives are working pretty good. So, I'll continue buying from them. Reason I bought these Maxtor drives because they were cheap and I was running them in old computers.

17. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

IBM no longer makes hard drives. They sold off their drive division to Samsung in June, so whatever IBMs you get off the shelf (that aren't SCSI SCA Server series) are just leftovers. From now on, it's Samsung that handles that.

WD is a better bang for the buck then most drives; so I have no problems with them.

As kind of a lark, Maxtor is the only manufacturer who intends to support ATA-133 on drives (WD, Seagate, Fujitsu, Samsung have said to the OEM channel they will not release an ATA-133 drive in favor of SerialATA soon)

But Maxtor is not my fav drive. Way over priced for too little value.

18. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

19. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

20. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

WD never did that

Actually for a time Western Digital did. I remember quite clearly having to run some software and getting a specific error code which had to be placed on the RMA form. If you didn't do so, you ran a risk of them refusing the RMA.

In WD's case, the diagnostic program could run on a boot disk, so that if the drive was inaccessible, the software could detect that and report an appropriate error code.