What's new

I hate limited releases!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I've never understood the need to tread lightly about this subject around people living in the boonies. The answer is simple and yes, the Wolf summed it up nicely in Pulp Fiction. :)

If seeing "smaller" films in a movie theater is very important to you as a cinephile, then move to a place that exhibits them immediately, like NYC or LA, or within reasonable driving distance from a major city center.

Now, if you live out in the boonies, please don't complain about Indie Film/ Foreign Film "X" never making out to where you live, it's totally pointless. Plus, living out in Smalltown, USA you probably aren't stuck paying $750K for a small 3 bedroom house, so I think that more than offsets the inconvenience of waiting for the DVD in certain cases, dontcha think? :D

Now, it's true certain films never make it to DVD. In that case, see above! :D

-Dennis

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Who's complaining? That 750 bought me a mansion, a butler, and a killer setup to watch the art-movies!

Actually, I've been dying to take over the Marcus Theater across the street from my office. It's a protected landmark because it's the first-ever Marcus Cinema, but it's in a horrible state of disrepair. I think a couple hundred thousand dollars could turn it into a great art-house theater, a tourist attraction, and could make some money too. Sadly, I'm the only one who thinks that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I can catch some "limited release" films at a couple budget theateres near me. The sound and pic usually suck but when ur desperate to see Mulholland Drive, The Man Who Wasnt There or 21 Grams u deal with it.

I drove to NYC to see Requiem For A Dream. After parking,dinner,etc I spent about $80. But it was worth it

Of course Id prefer to catch alot of this stuff in the theater but limited release usually means we'll have it on DVD quicker.

One Im looking foward to at the moment is Young Adam, which I heard was great.Heres 2 reviews....

http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4867

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...oung_adam.html

"I think a couple hundred thousand dollars could turn it into a great art-house theater"

They rebuilt a old theater in Poughkeepsie and I occassionally go there - its nice to see Amadeus or Dr Strangelove in that type of place.

"USA you probably aren't stuck paying $750K for a small 3 bedroom house"

Shit man here they go for up to 1500 a month:frowning:

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Jeff, there's no need to fly anywhere to see Farenheit 9/11 - sure as it'll be humid in Indy come July, Michael Moore's lastest will play here, somewhere. Don't believe MM's hype - someone will pick this doc up and it will get national distribution.

While it's true Indianapolis only has 6-8 screens devoted to art/indy/foreign releases, that's still a lot more than other comparable mid-sized cities. I'd love to have a theater comparable to The Music Box, or a series like Facets or the Art Institute's (my alma mater), but I don't mind getting most films a week or so after Chicago. (The repertory film scene is another story.)

Another good place to see limited release flicks is at the Baxter Cinemas in Louisville. Very nice facility. Key Cinemas on Indy's south side has also opened another 2 arthouse screens in Columbus, IN, 1 hour south.

That's up to 16 screens for art/independent/foreign fare in Indianapolis or within a 2 hour drive of Indy.

Plus, the housing is a LOT cheaper here than in Chicago, never mind LA or NYC!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Sad but true. The Historic West in Green Bay has taken to showing Kill Bill 2 just to generate income. Getting an audience for independent/foreign films here is just a tough racket. Even when it was the only theater withing 150 miles showing City of God, West had a hard time filling even 1/4 of the seats. A good sized crowd there is about 40 people.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks