I hate limited releases!!!!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LanieParker, May 24, 2004.

1. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Why do they do this? There are so many movies that I am interested in seeing this summer, but can't due to the small fact that they are only limited release.

Saved
    The Rage in Placid Lake
    Strayed
    Twist

I want to see all of these, but can't until they come out on video.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I know the feeling. I'm not saying there weren't other reasons I moved from Portland, ME to Boston, MA, but it was right up there...

And we still didn't get Shaolin Soccer. I mean, gee, it's not like Boston has a large Asian and college-age population that would come out for it or anything...

3. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Yea, I would love for THX 1138 to get a theater release on Oklahoma.

4. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Why do they do this?"

Perhaps because the exhibitors don't think enough people in your area will come see the film to make the exhibition profitable?

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

De-Lovely will also be limited release before it hits wide. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

For a clue, take a look at which movies generate a lot of posts -- not here in the Movies forum, but in the Software forum, where no one has the excuse that "I couldn't see it because it's not playing anywhere near me".

When the movies you've listed hit DVD, not one of them will generate as many posts as a waste of celluloid like Van Helsing.

M.

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Easy. As with anything, it's supply and demand.

~Edwin

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

(Spinal Tap)
    Boston's not a big college town.
    (/Spinal Tap)

[​IMG]

One of the many things I love about Chicago is that it gets most of the releases, but I know how frustrating it is when a movie opens in "LA/NY" and I'm dying to see it, so I can sympathize. I would hate hate hate hate hate to move back to a small city/town where there's no selection.

There has been talk that, when cheap bandwidth allows, movies can be available via download (legally) day and date with theatrical release. Hollywood doesn't want that, but I think it's a great idea, especially for smaller movies that aren't going to play in 90% of the country.

In an Entertainment Weekly a while back, Owen Glieberman printed some comments from letters repsonding to something he'd written in an earlier issue about being stuck in a hicksville place with only a mainstream megaplex nearby. People wrote about the movies they couldn't see where they lived. Most were, of course, smaller indies such as The Cooler, but I was surprised that a couple of people mentioned Mystic River!

I know all movies should, ideally, be seen in the theater, but if I lived in the boondocks (sorry) and it were a choice between 1) seeing it right away at home, 2) waiting months for the DVD, or 3) not seeing it at all, I'd want that download option. It could be very profitable for the smaller releases.

The video store chains probably wouldn't like it though. Aren't they already freaked out about Netflix?

Anyway, my condolences.

I hadn't heard about The Rage in Placid Lake until your post. I looked it up on IMDB. What have you heard about it? I'm anxious too to see the other movies on your list, especially Saved!

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

To quote The Wolf

Move out of the stixs [​IMG]

Thanks to two remodeled theaters-turned art houses, Atlanta has 20+ screens for limited release type movies (we got Shaolin Soccer Jason).

We get most everything now, but my problem is that the really obscure ones only play for a week or two so more screens just means I miss even more movies since I can rarely go within a 1 week window.

Atlanta's biggest problem is we have no one that programs retrospectives. Our museums/colleges will host modern France month/modern India month, etc,, ie. movies from the last couple of years with no distribution so they could get them cheap, but stuff like the Fassbinder, Tarkovsky, Ray, Ozu, etc. retrospectives that have played other major cities pass us right on by.

10. Michael Reuben

Believe it or not, that's a problem even in New York City. A recent example was Twentynine Palms.

M.

11. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland

Yeah, well, some of us like it here. I'd rather wait for DVD anyway, because I've got better picture, sound, and no annoying people. Plus cheap consessions, comfy couches, and the ability to pee (I don't use it often, but the choice is nice) if I need to is exquisite.

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Justin, that was a Pulp Fiction quote. Sorry if I offended you.

That's surprising Michael. Twentynine Palms is in its 2nd week here. I saw it last night because I'm pretty sure there won't be a 3rd. It was splitting time at a one screen theater with City Of God.

13. Michael Reuben

Well, to be fair, one theater did keep it around for two extra weeks, but it had one showing a day at an hour that I just couldn't make.

M.

14. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

My local multiplex never gets anything interesting, however I thought them not getting the Station Agent was inexcusable. They filmed the movie about 3 miles from the theater, but didn't think to book it.

15. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Chicago does get most releases, but the obscure stuff rarely opens there the same time as it does in NY & LA. I often go to Chicago to see films as they generally take an extra 3-4 weeks to get to Indianapolis. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the time that the first week is NY/LA only. If I have to, I will fly to LA for Fahrenheit 9/11. Hopefully, I won't have to, but I want to see that one on opening day.

Jeff

16. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Trust me Michael, you didn't miss a thing [​IMG]

The advent of DVD has had the effect that I miss movies that only play in certain theaters: I refuse to go to the Angelica, The Quad, The Anthology Film Archives... I figure that I'll have much better experience seeing the film at home.

Mostly I go to the Walter Reade (where you can see numerous films long before they open, usually with director Q&A and at discount prices -- add to that one of the best theaters anywhere -- and it's 10 blocks from my house), Sunshine, AMC 25 (which plays plenty of "art films"), Paris...

My biggest dilemma is with the Film Forum, which has such a fantastic program, and very good prints, but I find myself going less and less. Not only is the theater crappy, but so much of what they show ends up in The Criterion Collection a few months later, so what's the point...

Ted

17. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Well where I use to live they sometimes got those rare releases, but now I live in a place where those types of films just aren't welcomed *or so it seems*.

18. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

I just want to see "Supersize Me " but im in delaware and the film is only on 150 sceens ...so i guess i'll have to wait like always [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Michael Reuben

The point is that you never know what will or won't show up on DVD. And even when it does, the opportunity to see an excellent film print is hard to pass up. The Warner DVD of Erol Flynn's Robin Hood is gorgeous, but the print at FF was better.

If the print and projection are good, I don't mind crappy theaters too much. There's a certain nostalgia from my college years. [​IMG] Plus, when you go somewhere like Film Forum or the Angelika, you can be pretty sure that you'll be sitting in an audience of enthusiasts who will shut up and watch the film.

M.

20. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I agree about the Film Forum, but with the Angelika even if the audience isn't talking, the subway roaring underneath more than makes up for it. Don't let me started on that place -- I simply refuse to go. Meanwhile I give money to the Film Forum, so my attitude is diametrically different between those two.

Ted