What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

I hate it when I do something stupid (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Falling asleep watching tv and waking up to infomercials.

I've done that too-- I've had a DVD on many a time, and fallen asleep, only to find that the episode I was watching had long since ended, and I woke up to the menu.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks to everyone for their interest in this thread. Another admission of stupidity- loaning money. I learned the hard way that loaning isn’t loaning- it’s giving (when you lend money, you don’t usually see it again).
The important thing is learning from our mistakes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone for their interest in this thread. Another admission of stupidity- loaning money. I learned the hard way that loaning isn’t loaning- it’s giving (when you lend money, you don’t usually see it again).

Been there, done that.

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Been there, done that.

- Walter.

I use such situations as an extreme form of "leverage" over such individuals.

I start off with a small amount typically around $20 or less, to see whether repayment is immediate or not. In practice I've found that people who are always asking for money, almost always have chronic cash flow problems and extremely tardy repayment schedules (if ever).

So the next time they ask for money, I hold that "balance" against them to see whether repayment is immediate. If not immediate, they get my standard speech of "you're on your own until I get that $20 back". If they pay back that $20 debt immediately, I'll ask for an immediate collateral for further cash "loans". (ie. Usually something I'm aware of that they greatly "value"). Otherwise they're on their own.

Such individuals know not to come back asking.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In more recent times, I just record some live video of such acquaintances asking for a "loan", with the stipulation that the video will be posted online.

So far every single "loan" request has been walked back, and they haven't come back asking a second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks