What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

I hate it when I do something stupid (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I locked myself out of my house yesterday, so I had to break a window to get in. 🙁

This thread is about the dumb mistakes we all have made.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Back in college 20 years ago or so, I was heavily into PC racing simulators. I was online one night in I think NASCAR Racing 2003 and was on a server that I had administrative privileges on. I was bored and typed in the ban command with my own username, quite confident that the software wouldn't let one ban himself.

Alas, they didn't code the game to protect an idiot from himself and I was immediately kicked from the server and banned. Was fun trying to explain what happened to the server owner later so that I could be unbanned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I locked myself out of my house yesterday, so I had to break a window to get in. 🙁
Way back in the old days when I was single and living alone in an apartment, my then girlfriend (now my wife for the past 32 years) was at my place and wanted me to look at something on her car. I walked out without my keys, thereby locking myself out of the apartment. So I told her "well, I guess you are meeting my parents today because you have to drive to me their house so I can get my spare key". :laugh:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was convinced that I had done something bad to my computer (a mid 2009 Mac Mini) because I started getting security certificate errors in the past few months when browsing some web sites. A chromebook on the same network was not getting these errors.

I decided to reinstall the OS and this was when the fun began. I had a bootable USB drive but basically got stuck at the iCloud screen and simply could not get past it no matter what I did. (I could not locate my original Snow Leopard discs.) After messing with this for days I bought install media from amazon which proved to either be a scam or simply bad. ( Might as well have taken a few dollars out of my wallet and lit them on fire for all the good that it did. )

Downloaded Elementary OS and installed it and verified the security certificate errors were no longer occurring. Decided that I needed to get El Capitan back on the Mini (as there are a few programs that I wanted to run that were Mac OS-centric. Finally took the Mini to a local Apple store and had El Capitan reinstalled. Got everything setup / installed and then I determined that the security certificate errors were continuing. (El Capitan is the most current OS that will run on my outdated, but damn reliable hardware.)

Eventually, after a lot of unnecessary effort on my part found this article...

So yeah, I felt pretty stupid after a lot of trial and error and lots of hours screwing around with my Mini.

- Walter.

Aisthetikos

Auditioning
Real Name
George Beck
I was changing the spark plugs on my Buick LeSabre, and when I got to the other side of the head, I noticed the plugs were really tough to get out...

So I'm my brawnful wisdom, I used a pipe to get more leverage on the wrench. I proceeded to snap the spark plug off in the engine head... by turning it the wrong way. thankfully I was able to remove the threading from the hole and no debris fell into the chamber :wacko:

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
A few years ago I locked myself out of my apartment. I was wearing socks, but no shoes. It was 10:30pm. Fortunately a friend had been visiting and was on his way down the stair. He had to go down--as a total stranger--to my landlord's shop, mercifully still open, and request the key for me. Now I double check my pocket for key whenever I go out for any reason.

Another time, I decided to clean my bathtub and poured PURE BLEACH into it. Not only did it stain the tub reddish-brown, the fumes filled my apartment and made me mildly sick. Lesson learned.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a bad habit of locking myself out of the house.

When we moved into our new place I locked the whole family out of the house on our second day of occupancy. No one had spare keys at this point so we had to call a locksmith. He wound up using a credit card to get in to the house from the garage entrance. :oops:

At my previous house, before I had a family, I locked myself out of the house, also from the garage entry to the house. Fortunately I didn't have to break a window to get in, but I did have to get on a ladder to get into the crawl space above the garage and work my way through the framing and insulation to get to the crawl space entry above the utility room, and manage not to hurt myself dropping from the ceiling.

I also looked myself out of a house I was house-sitting, leaving the dog I was watching on the other side of the sliding glass door. He was a smart dog but not smart enough to open the door for me. Fortunately I found a key in my friend's garage in a random box of junk that happened to have one of those magnetic key holders.

I also have a story about "losing" my key to the house, but I'm still too embarrassed about that one to explain in detail. 😅

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I also have a friend who locked himself out of his hotel room in the early morning, but he was totally naked and had to cover himself with the complimentary newspapers as he was getting someone to let him in. I think part of his story is that when someone finally came to let him in they actually asked for ID before they could open the door for him. 🤣

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also have a friend who locked himself out of his hotel room in the early morning, but he was totally naked and had to cover himself with the complimentary newspapers as he was getting someone to let him in. I think part of his story is that when someone finally came to let him in they actually asked for ID before they could open the door for him. 🤣

I remember seeing a singer named Edwin McCain years ago in concert and he told a story of that happening to him while he was on tour - and the hotel staff thought he was the singer Meat Loaf!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why was he naked outside the hotel room to begin with? Hard to believe that happens "accidentally". 🙂

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Why was he naked outside the hotel room to begin with? Hard to believe that happens "accidentally". 🙂
He got the door to the bathroom and the door to the room mixed up when he got up to go to the bathroom. And there was the lingering effects of some alcohol that led to the confusion. :)

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

What movie is that scene from? I'm not saying it didn't happen to a real person, but I know that scene -- Steve Martin maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks