What's new

I hate irresponsible campaign groups.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
This is not a politics thread
You know all the promotional signs that say "Vote for Me"
that typically winds up being trash and litter by mid November... Arrgh, I almost entitled this thread saying I hate those signs but it is the lack of any decency that half the signs that are put up in public areas are left there to rot and become litter. Why can't these people be responsible and remove them properly after the elections. Maybe we should fine them a dollar for every sign that is not removed within 2 weeks of the election for these boneheads to get a clue. It surely doesn't make me want to vote for any candidate after I see this crap year after year.
Jay

Denward

Supporting Actor
I've thought about this before. I think every sign should be required to have small print indicating the group that is responsible for the sign. 1 week after the election, if any signs remain standing, anybody can collect the signs and bring them in and collect a dollar.

The only problem I can't figure out is that people might steal signs before the election and hoard them just so they can collect money later.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for the election to be over so my neighborhood can stop looking like a sign factory exploded.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Isn't it ironic that a candidate can campaign endlessly on how they will protect the environment, and then leave all of their signs up for six months after the election? I see this all of the time.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
One year we started get 20 - 30 flyers etc on our Door /porch.
I Finally left a sign on my door.

Leaving campaign Literature on my door will result in an automatic vote for the opposition no matter who or what propostion!

They Stopped after that

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The commercial that's really bugging me are the ads that claim how some guy bought a joint and because of that, some family in Nicaraugua or somewhere gets slaughtered. Which is BS because 90% of the weed WE consume in this country is either US or Canadian grown.

Signed,
Towlie

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Speaking of irresponsible adds, I just received one in the mail yesterday. There's a man, who is running against a woman (the incumbent). In the past, he has run against two other women (also incumbents). So the add blasted this man for being sexist, since he obviously disrespects women if he was running against them. How screwed up is that?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Leaving campaign Literature on my door will result in an automatic vote for the opposition no matter who or what propostion!
They Stopped after that
A smart campaigner would have left flyers for the opposition after a notice like that ;)
Been a really 'dirty' campaign this year here in Dallas - $80 million spent, mostly on highly negative TV ads. Be glad when it's over - I can't vote so it's REALLY boring the pants off me!

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
The commercial that's really bugging me are the ads that claim how some guy bought a joint and because of that, some family in Nicaraugua or somewhere gets slaughtered
Shouldnt we then legalize drugs to save the poor families in Nicuragua?

Give the canidates a break, some of these guys have limited recources to go against incumbants who have the evening news every night to make statements.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Umm, legallized drugs is not legal for discussion here...

Unfair media is no excuse for not cleaning up their trash after the election. Most of the signs I see on private lawns do typically get recycled or cleaned up, but the millions of signs on telephone poles and stuff typically stay there til a gust of wind knocks them down.

Jay

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
This is weird for a Brit. Normally the UK is not the tidiest of places but you rarely see political/campaign posters hanging around for long after the campaign is over. Having said that, there is a limit on political advertising in the UK. All the major parties are given 5 minute slots (1 per evening) to put forward their case on the TV and radio, and other than street and newspaper adverts, that's all that is allowed.

BTW, in the UK it's the law that all publications (including posters) should state who produced them. I used to think this was a bit draconian, but I can see a virtue in it now.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
This is weird for a Brit. Normally the UK is not the tidiest of places but you rarely see political/campaign posters hanging around for long after the campaign is over. Having said that, there is a limit on political advertising in the UK. All the major parties are given 5 minute slots (1 per evening) to put forward their case on the TV and radio, and other than street and newspaper adverts, that's all that is allowed.
Oh it's so so different over here, Andrew. Whoever has the most money has the most TV ads basically. My wife was looking at the election list online last night - "Oh, there's a Green Party on the ballot, how unusual." First we'd heard there was an 'alternative' on the ballot. Ho hum.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Andrew,

Like Brian alluded above, this is a country where gansters used to hand out booze, money, and food on the streets of Chicago to gain support for their candidate before it was expressly stated as illegal. Also, since USA TV is most all privately owned, the only way for candidates to get any real airtime is to buy it. We have PBS which is kind of like the BBC, but it is incredibly smaller and underfunded by the gov.

If you want a realistic idea of American politics today (and elections), see the movies "Bullworth" and "The Candidate".

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Also, since USA TV is most all privately owned, the only way for candidates to get any real airtime is to buy it. We have PBS which is kind of like the BBC, but it is incredibly smaller and underfunded by the gov.
What's interesting about the UK setup is even on 'privately owned' channels (ie non-BBC), you still cannot buy political airtime. Ads are limited to the previously mentioned party political broadcasts that are doled out depending on the size of the representation of the party in the government (I believe) - even the smalltime parties such as the Greens get primetime space allocated to them on commercial channels.
/Personally/ I'd rate "Election" as being the best representation of modern US politics (from what I've seen), but we're not supposed to discuss that on here :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I should perhaps have added that in the UK, suring election time, if a report is made on a particular candidate, then all his or her opponents must be mentioned somewhere in the report (typically a list at the end of the report).

I must say that for all we Brits grumble about the election process, it is generally fairer than most other countries'. Also, it's over faster (generally no more than about three weeks between announcing an election and it being held).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have this gripe with the signs as well. If you can be bothered to put them up, you can take them down. I think fines would be useful for those who don't comply, after all this is littering.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
andrew
I must say your elections are sane and almost non-existant until a week or 2 before voting day.
I guess we will get to that point in 800 or 900 years.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wish we'd switch to the UK system. by the time November rolls around I am sick and tired of the ads. The only good thing is that the Republican canidate for governor tried negative ads because he's getting the pants kicked off him in the polls and they backfired on him. Normally this never happens, but it's spared me a lot of commercials ;)
The worst part is that since Philadelphia TV serves both Delaware AND New Jersey, we get tortured by their ads, heck in the average year I see about 10 times more NJ ads than ones for canidates I can actually vote for :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks