What's new

I HATE Hotmail! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
All the little messages about upgrading to the new "pay" service oover the last few months never really bothered me. The warnings that your account may be suspended, along with random message deletions if you went over your storage limit (which is inadvertant since you can't control what people send you) weren't that big a deal. But NOW, they've done it. I received an email today telling me that as of July 16, free-Hotmail users will no longer be able to retrieve POP mail. I don't like it. It's just one-step-at-a-time towards ensuring that every user either pays up, or pisses off. I don't like these tactics. At least treat your users with respect and announce that all services will revert to pay-only services, rather than cutting them of one at a time. Not-so-Hotmail!!!!! :angry: The next one to go will be messenger. :frowning:
Can anybody recommend any other free-webmail that is up to scratch?

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
That's weird. I just checked my inbox and didn't receive anything about stopping reception of POP mail. I wonder why not everyone received it...or maybe it's just me :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I use Yahoo as well. I tried Hotmail but found the storage limit (2mb?) too limiting. Yahoo has 6MB for free and more available for $$. Also, Yahoo has a junk mail folder that weeds out about 2/3 of junk mail. You still have to go through and delete it, but its only two clicks to do so.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
But Yahoo is no longer offering free POP mail. I'm still using Yahoo's free mail service...just as a catch-all for when I have to register on web pages with an email address. I save my "real" email address (the one through my ISP) for friends and family. That way it doesn't get loaded down with spam.

I've found I've been getting much more spam lately in my Yahoo inbox. It's odd. I've had it for about 4 years, but just in the past couple of months I get about 15-20 spams per day.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I haven't received any notice about not supporting POP anymore either. I use OE, but through HTTP anyway, so I don't think I'm gonna be affected, unless that's what they meant.

Hotmail has a junk-mail filter too, by the way. The 2MB storage limit is annoying, but it's free, so I don't have a problem with it, and since I use OE as an offline-reader, I just save everything there, and thus don't use up the webspace.

Does Yahoo! work through OE?

/Mike

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Some of my friends have been using Link Removed for years succesfully.
It is a great service, I believe they give you at least 5mb for e-mail and POP3 capability as well ... not to mention a few other goodies.
They also tell me that there has been virtually no Spam either as ureach is pretty much unknown.
Waaay too many people have my Hotmail address though for me to be able to smoothly switch right now ...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Is there any way to set the junk mail filter to reject emails over a certain size to kill those 100k+ virus emails that make it yell about limits at me?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Hotmail's 'junk mail filter' is utterly useless. I've had my hotmail account since 1996 and receive approximately 80 pieces of spam per day, with the filter turned on and the block sender list filled to capacity. If I don't check my hotmail for three days, there are usually several hundred messages in my main inbox, along with another several hundred in the junk mail folder and trash folder.

I miss the good old days, with the spinning red globe logo, prior to MS's acquisition of hotmail and before spammers got really out of control.

But yeah, they gotta make money, yada yada yada...

Joseph

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The hotmail issue and the yahoo issue are not the same things.
Hotmail has not stopped the checking of OTHER POP based email accounts.
Yahoo has stopped being able TO BE CHECKED from a POP email client.
If you really need your free email address to check other email accounts (like your ISPs) then Yahoo is the one to use. If you want to check your free email address through Outlook Express, then hotmail is the one to use.
In any case, if all you need is a quick way to check your ISP email from the web, try using something like www.mail2web.com instead. As far as the free email addresses go, I'm not too pleased with hotmail or yahoo. I used to use excite but they are horrid now. Maybe I'll check into using ureach.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Joseph,
If you set your "junk mail filter" options to "Exclusive," only messages from those addresses in your address book will be delivered to your Inbox. Then, you can set whether or not "junk mail" will be deleted immediatedly, or saved to be deleted automatically in seven days or by you manually, whichever comes first.
I have mine set to Exclusive, and Junk mail deletion on "delay." I then quickly scan "Junk Mail" once a day (about 80 messages, average) to see if there's anything there I want to keep (usually not). Then if I know I'm not going to be able to check Hotmail for a few days, I change my setting to "Immediate Deletion" and I don't have to worry about my account filling up.
Works for me!
JS

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been able to get into my Hotmail account for several days. I can log in, but it just hangs there when I try to get into my inbox. Anyone else have this trouble?

John Chow

Second Unit
Bill,

Check your Yahoo preferences. At one point in the recent months, they automatically turned everyones preferences for all advertising to 'On', which may explain why you have just recently started receiving ridiculous amounts of spam.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip John, but when I go to Options -> Yahoo! Delivers it already has Sign Up set to No. Is there something else I'm missing?
I had to have this set to Yes previously when I was using their POP mail forwarding, but now that it's not free I disabled it. I suppose it's too late though. My email address has already been sold off and is now being sold and resold. The damage is done.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If you set your "junk mail filter" options to "Exclusive," only messages from those addresses in your address book will be delivered to your Inbox.
I have mine set to exclusive and some spam still gets through. The amount of spam I get through Hotmail is insane, Yahoo has been much better.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Hotmail blows, but it's my lifeline. I can't stand the fact that my junk mail folder counts towards my storage limit.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Guys, don't like Hotmail either, but it's a free service. Beggars can't be choosers.

ps: my junkmail filter works like a charm.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I have been using Link Removed
I has some fairly strict warnings about not using it as a spam drop box, and you can't receive yahoo mail lists, but it has the ability to be used with any IMAP client, as well as secured, or insecure web access. 10MB of storage.
It should be around for a while, as it is an Oracle sponsored thing that they are using as a test/business case to prove that their exchange back end DB replacement is "un-hackable".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks