I hate haggling on cars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

It SUCKS.
    my roommate got into an accident and her nissan 200sx is totalled, so insurance happily offered her a whole 5500 or something for it... which is book, more or less.. problem is they sell for a lot more than that around here, so we're kinda hosed there. They're not budging, so we have like 3k to find her a car..
    so the other night we're stalking the used car lots after midnight, and notice a pretty straight 95 altima, so we go back to drive it, and they're asking like 5790 which isn't bad but it's above NADA full retail, and this car isn't one that should command full retail (trade in is like 4200)
    so we drive it today (I have 98 altima, so I'm really familiar with the engine (it's the same, and the transmission is mostly the same) runs great, seems sound. There's rust under the paint in one spot, it's been hit in the back and side, the interior is about 1 step from trashed, the trunk was a swamp (leaks I assume) and the trunk release didn't work, and some other really petty stuff, but enough that the car clearly isn't worth retail IMO, but of course they have that damn "No haggle" pricing, which in my language means "the price isn't any lower than normal, just don't bother trying to deal, we're not budging an inch" sure enough, wouldn't come down a dollar, after giving me the no haggle speech, and telling me they do "extensive market research" and "most always come out a little under book anyway" he didn't seem to like it when I showed him the NADA guide on the car and it was less than their price [​IMG]
    Oh well.. moving on I guess

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

So actually it would be more accurate to say you hate no haggling?

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's their loss, if the car isn't worth what they're charging then just take your business elsewhwere.....

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Do you have a publication called "Trading Times" in your area? If so, you may want to look in there for used cars for sale by private owners in your area. You may have better luck finding a good car at a decent price than from a used car dealer. Also, in our area people with cars to sell will sometimes park them in the far reaches of certain store parking lots on the weekends with a "For Sale" sign -- the K-Mart near our house has cars almost every weekend. Finally, check some of the online sites. I used www.edmunds.com to determine the real market value of my '93 Toyota Camry V6 XLE before I sold it. I did not even need to advertise. I just put a for sale sign in the window, parked it in our driveway, and had it sold in a week.

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

There were a few threads about a month ago on buying cars that had some good tips, try a forum search for NADA or EDMUNDS.

6. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Phillip_G:

Sounds like you were a used car salesmans' biggest nightmare......A well informed customer.

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I've never understood why "no haggle pricing" is always advertised as a "good thing." Why don't they just come out and say "we don't budge on the price, like it or leave it." It's the same thing to me, yet most dealerships boast it as part of their friendly service. Sounds unfriendly and uncooperative to me. [​IMG]

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

bahahah I guess you're right about the hating no haggling lol.
    I'd much prefer to buy from a private party, but I live in such a small (lightly populated) area there just aren't many used cars for sale privately. I guess we'll have to go to Minneapolis for a weekend and shop. We're on a bit of a schedule, since insurance won't pay for a rental car beyond uh TOMORROW, so that makes getting to work hard, I guess she can take the bus or take my car and I'll ride my motorcycle when it's nice
    I love the no haggle, best price speech they give, blah blah so if a doctor comes in they pay the same, if your grandma comes in, they pay the same blah blah, I guess we all get ripped off equally then? [​IMG]

9. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Guess I'm in the minority, but I hate haggling for cars. I don't want to guess what the best price is they'll give me. I want them to be up front and say "Here's how much it is." If I don't like it, I go elsewhere. It's just not worth my time to play those silly games.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I find the no haggle dealerships to be hilarious. The new/used car industry has made the process of purchasing a vehicle so difficult and distasteful that people are willing to spend far too much money on a car just to avoid having to haggle with a car salesperson. Truth be told, any dealership can be a no haggle dealership if you are willing to pay their asking price.

Until the price at a no haggle dealership comes down to something reasonable they will never get my business. I don't mind the negotiation as long as I end up with a great deal...or at least a fair deal.

- Jeff

12. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I had artificial low supply on new or significantly changed hot models. Two examples are the Honda S-2000 and the Subaru Impreza WRX. I know that when the S2000 first came out people were paying 150%-200% of MSRP. WTF. Has Honda's managment and decision making practices become so bad that they cant figure out how many cars to make. Besides here and HTT I hang at two WRX forums as well. The WRX wasnt available in the states until the 2001 model (or maybe it was long ago, but not for several years, like the dissapearance of the Chevy Impala and the Civic Si). Anyway, there was a thread on one of these forums that goes back to about Feb of 2001, asking what people had paid for their WRX. People were paying MSRP or barely under, and many dealers were asking up to $5000 above MSRP although it looks like the members of those forums where smart enough not to bite at that price. I went to a dealer to test drive one, and they didnt have any, and the dealer said he had ordered three, but two of them were already sold and he didnt expect the third to last more than a week. THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU ONLY ORDER THREE YOU MORON, ARE YOU TRYING NOT TO SELL CARS. Grr. I hate all car dealers, new or used.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

eh you see the MSRP plus in motorcycles a lot, new models like the R1 this year you have a hard time paying anything less than MSRP, or look at the HD V-rod I think MSRP is 17k but if you want one now you can pay 27k or wait a year and pay 17k.. retarded. Why anyone would buy a ha... ah that's a whole other thread [​IMG]

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I LOVE haggling on cars. [​IMG] The ONE thing you have to remember is: IT'S YOUR MONEY! You don't have to give them a dime if they won't give you a deal. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Anytime I see any kind of damage like what you describe for the trunk, I say walk away.
    I drove the WRX and was completely unimpressed. My dealer literally had 20 of them just sitting there. They had a markup of $5K on the window, but after I talked to a >shifty< (read: hungry) salesperson, he said not only would they drop the markup, but he would sell a fair bit under MSRP. I still said no. I'll wait for the STi and see if it is any better.

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

John what didn't you like about the WRX? Suspension, performance?

To get back on topic, I don't see how a business like that can stay afloat if they demand retail on used & only in fair condition merchandise. I visited several dealerships over the weekend and all were willing to go down in price.

16. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yes, I'm also curious what you didnt like about the WRX... since I am pretty much set on getting one. They fill a pretty unique niche, especially the wagon.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

18. John Garcia

John

19. Charles J P

CJ Paul

20. John Garcia

John