I hate FilePlanet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I just need to vent a little...

Why do sites like FilePlanet have the market cornered on PC game related downloads? Many files (hacks, add-ons, mods, skins, etc.) are only downloadable at FilePlanet or similar sites.

FilePlanet makes you sign up for a stupid account (my #1 complaint about ALL websites), try everything they can to get you to join their "premium" download service, and when you decide to stay with the free download they make you wait 60 minutes because they really want you to pay for that "premium" (wait free) service.

Why have these sites flourished? Who really supports this pain in the ass??

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I hate them as well. I cringe everytime I'm redirected to FilePlanet.[​IMG]

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

They flourish because they're willing to provide the bandwidth/storage that software companies etc aren't willing to shell out. It simplifies the "upload" process - a company sends the file to FP & then they handle distributing it to the users.

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Yeah it’s funny how there are ALWAYS 500/500 people downloading something. Even at 4:00 in the morning and the file has been available for 6 months. If its there I usually don't bother unless I'm working on something and I can have that stupid time sink running in the back ground somewhere on my second monitor.

Dean

5. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I don't use fileplanet anymore either. I cannot remember where, but I found another download site. They did ask that I signup for a free account, but they never pushed any premium service and they never spammed me (quite suprised, really). Their d/l speeds compared to the unregistered access was just as different as night/day, but now I need to go find them again, hehe.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

When it says 500/500 people using the server it doesn't mean they're all downloading the same file. A server holds many different files so just because it's an oldie doesn't mean it will be any easier to get than a new patch.

It's not surprising really that sites like Fileplanet exist. Bandwidth is *not* cheap (the HTF donations are proof of that) so why should Fileplanet provide all those files for free? They need to pay for costs somehow.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I've been very happy with what I get for $7 a month from Fileplanet.

YMMV. [​IMG]

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I really don't understand the complaints about sites like this. The wait in a queue way of doing things is way better than before, when the server was full, you'd just get a 404 Error and you'd just have to keep trying and trying and trying to get the file. With the queue, you at least know that you're going to be getting the file at some point, and Fileplanet and Fileshack are usually both very quick once you do get on (I typically get around 80-200KB from these sites) unlike other download sites where you're lucky to get over 10KB.

And, it is free. If you don't like it, find something else or cough up the cash. As stated, bandwidth isn't cheap, and most of these sites would have been gone long ago if they hadn't done something like this.

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I'm in the cheap category when it comes to online files. Places like File Planet are the devil to me. I used File Shack for about 2 months while they were in their beta testing stages and all the DLs where free and went at around 100k/s, that was nice. But soon they went the way of FP. It didn't surprise me, bandwidth costs money plain and simple. But I still refuse to pay for dls from game makers that are meant to be free, like patchs and stuff, so I just search around and generally find what I'm looking for pretty fast.

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I hate Fileplanet too. I just look around on Google for whatever I am trying to find. You can find many sites if you just look for them.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I usually hit kazaa or google it. Chances are there are mirrors out there.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If a company wants me to spend my time to download their demo (which is nothing but a commercial), they shouldn't expect me to jump through a zillion hoops for a sh**ty download that will probably fail anyway.

Some companies, such as Sierra, still have a ftp that can be accessed.

For game patches and fixes, they should be obligated to provide the file, rather than relying on a bunch of mirrors with broken links.

All else fails, I turn to the distribution king - Usenet. Fast & complete.

-Dave

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

the only online thing I pay for is FilePlanet. My only complaint is that sometimes its hard to find older files on it.

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I hear ya. Trying to dig up old Doom or Quake files can be like a lesson in cyber-archaeology.

-Dave

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Whew...I'm glad it's not just me. [​IMG]

I don't buy the "bandwidth isn't cheap" defense.

Tucows has been around forever providing free downloads. As mentioned in other posts, most of the files found at sites like FilePlanet can be found elsewhere for free too.

The software is out there for free if you choose to look. FilePlanet's real "service" is it's claim to be a one-stop site to get your gaming files. You're paying for the convenience of not having to do a google search for your file.

17. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

18. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I don't like File Planet either, but when I really want a file I can usually find it someplace that doesn't require me to sign up [​IMG]

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

for all the beta test I got out of the $7 a month it is worth the price.