What's new

I hate dump trucks (1 Viewer)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
OK, let me start this out by saying that my wife is just fine, a little sore, but fine.

Well, I thought I was going to be the next one in my house to get a new car. It looks like the wife will beat me to it again. :frowning: I hate dump trucks. :angry: But, for his credit, my wife said that he did try everything he could to not hit her. But, since he was empty, the back end fish tailed and that is what hit her. You can even see the lettering of his tire on the bumper.

Pics

So the next question is, what car? They don't know if it will totaled out yet, but with the back quarter panel being bent, most likely it will. She has been looking at either a Mazda6 or a VW Passat. Anyone have either of these cars, and if so, how do you like them?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Is it just rear end and quarter panel sheet metal damage? I can't really tell from the pictures.

Less than 6 months after I bought my new Montero Sport I was rear ended by another SUV. :) The tailgate, rear bumper, and both lower quarter panels bought the farm, along with the seat I was sitting in.

I thought there might be a chance it would be totaled, but there was no structural damage, so the repairs only came to $7000. That was a lot less expensive to the insurance company than buying me a new $33,000 auto.

If your car is nearly new, I wouldn't count on it being totalled, unless the damage is more severe than I can see.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I don't think they will total that. When some idiot pulled out in front of me when I was going about 30mph with my Jeep Cherokee, I could have sworn they were going to total it. Instead they footed the $5k bill to repair it instead of paying the 7,500 that we owed on it. It will be interesting to see if they do total that out.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
It is both rear panels. It is a 2001 Mazda Protege DX. I looked up blue book on it, and it was about $9500. So, we are going to go and get an estimate today, and see what it is.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to laugh but, if you think the insuarance co. is going to total the car over that dent??? I should dig out my old photos of the drunk driver who PLOWED into my car and pushed it underneath the truck that was in front of me.

My repair bill came to over $12,000 and they didn't total my car. I tried and TRIED to get them to total it, but they wouldn't.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Its all going to depend upon if there's damage to the chassis.

Can't tell though from the pix. The body guys will know. But sometimes it even takes them awhile to tell for sure.

I got creamed once by a truck carrying spare metal. He pushed me into an 18-wheeler and ripped up the front end of my mini-van. Originally, I was told it could be fixed. A couple days later I got the bad news it would be totalled.

For me this was bad news becaue I had gotten the car knew and had taken good care of it. Because of its age, the amount the insurance company gave me only went so far as to get me a used van as a replacement. I still wish I had the original.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they will total that. Usually from my experience they don't total it unless you have frame damage.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Ya, I don't think there was any frame damage. But, if it is over 9,000 to fix, then I would figure they would total it out.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
New car over that? Just get insurance to fix and drive it til the wheels fall off.

I highly doubt that'll cost over $9g's

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Im with.. yea, everyone else. Ive looked through the pics a dozen times and i cant see for the life of me where any of the rear quarters are bent. It looks to be like they will need to replace a bumper, a taillight and a trunk lid and thats it. No chance it will be totaled if that is the case. Maybe a $1,500 check from the insurance company but definatly not a $9,000 check.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Well, we took the car down to the repair shop yesterday. They did a once over of it. There is more damage then what we thought. The trunk floor is totaly crushed. The frame extension, I think that is what they called it, was total bent in. That is the part that runs around the gas tank. Not, the main frame, but a supporting frame. So, between that and all the other damage, plus the rental car, that might get it up to the limit. We should find out in the next couple of days, once his insurance company looks at it.

Users who are viewing this thread