What's new

I hate British Comedy (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

And it's refreshing that a thread that started of bashing British comedy turned into a celebration of Brit-com, much to the chagrin of the original poster I suspect. Ni! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx to this thread, i tivo'd "coupling" ... and love it!

it looks like they're reruns? anyone know where i am in the series?

the one i saw had this get a surprise b-day party in the office. he ended up doing a strip in front of the whole office, then the lady he was trying to hookup with kicked out the people, then did her own little deal.

great show...i was laughing out loud....

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Ted, that was the eighth episode of season 2 which has 9 episodes. There were 7 episodes in season 3 if I remember correctly, and 6 in season 1. Just so you know, that was Julia's first appearance, she's not part of the regular cast. She appears in a number of episodes as her and Jeff's relationship develop. The next episode is pretty funny also, heck they all are, but some are more outrageous than others.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx keith. sounds like i'm about half-way through it. bummer! oh well, i look forward to more! :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Ted, BBC America has shown the complete series straight through a few times, I wouldn't be suprised if they did it again. Sometimes they also run marathons. So just set that season pass on your Tivo and all will be well. Also, seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

I love this series because I love the E F Benson novels on which they are based. Series 1 is available in the US, but Series 1 and 2 are boxed together in a 4-disc set in R2 for around $30 (less without VAT) from
amazon.co.uk

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Hey, thanks! I'll look into that. I was going to order a couple other things from them soon anyway.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The new wave of British sit-coms like ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, COUPLING, and MEN BEHAVING BADLY leave me cold. However, nothing beats the good old classic British sit-com from the 70s and 80s (and a few from the 90s.) I'd recommend checking out: TO THE MANOR BORN, THE YOUNG ONES, BOTTOM, BELIEVE NOTHING, FILTHY RICH & CATFLAP, BLESS ME FATHER, DAD'S ARMY, ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES, SHELLEY, MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS, RIPPING YARNS, BLACKADDER, FAWLTY TOWERS, MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE, EVER DECREASING CIRCLES, BUTTERFLIES, THE GOOD LIFE, FATHER DEAR FATHER, MR. BEAN, DEAR JOHN, BLESS THIS HOUSE, COMIC STRIP PRESENTS, CARRY ON, BENNY HILL SHOW, KENNY EVERETT SHOW, JIMMY LOGAN SHOW, DAVE ALLEN SHOW, LES DAWSON SHOW, TOMMY COOPER SHOW, and MARTY FELDMAN SHOW. -If any of these classic shows won't make you laugh it's your own bloody fault ! :laugh:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

New Wave?? AbFab's been around for years, Men Behaving Badly finished years ago. The New Wave of British Comedy is things like The Office, Black Books, Phoenix Nights, Little Britain.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another series I liked was PG Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster. It was a gentler form of humour and a very good series.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Somewhere in the previous posts someone mentioned THE RISE AND FALL OF REGINALD PERRIN.

Another good one just mentioned was TO THE MANOR BORN, about the same time I think, but I've seen it broadcast a few times in recent years, but REGINALD PERRIN seems to have disappeared.

But everytime I see a big truck on the road, I wonder what grot it's transporting? :)

Has anyone remembered NO, HONESTLY?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks