I hate asking this...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by flenn, Jan 16, 2004.

1. flenn

flenn Agent

Seems like such a basic question but I have very little experience with HDTV. Can you get HD with an S-video connection, or does the connection have to be component or DVI?

The reason why I ask is that a buddy just bought a flat panel HDTV (with DVI and S-Video inputs) and is using a new Samsung DVD player that only offers DVI and S-Video out. He is using S-video and I question whether he is getting true HD. Thanks for clearing this up.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

No you must use Component or DVI to pass HD...or progressive scan DVD for that matter

3. John S

John S Producer

Yeppers, he is not veiwing HD or ED, good ol NTSC it is.

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I don't think the Samsung DVD is passing HD either, just an upconverted 1080i signal, not true HD.

5. flenn

flenn Agent

Thanks guys. Is there a website or FAQ that goes over the basics of video?

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

There is a beginners FAQ that answers many questions.

To elaborate on what Mark Murphy and others have said, there is no way to get HD from s-video and no way to get true HD from a DVD source. The player may be able to upscale SD DVD to HD output, but this is not true HD and is definitely not available from the s-video connection.

P.S. This is not a dumb question at all, especially with all the misinformation about DVD, SD, HD etc. given out by retailers and salespeople.

7. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

composite and s-video are old interlaced 480i only. Progressive DVD (480p) and HDTV formats (720p,1080i) require component video or DVI. That Samsung DVD player only upconverts DVD video to HD format on the DVI port, but the DVD source is only 480i, so it doesn't produce true HDTV resolution.