What's new

I HATE Artisan (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"I still don't get the idea of boycotting everything a company has to offer because they happen to offer some crap. If a restaurant served some of your favorite dishes, as well as some crappy dishes, would you stop eating at the restaurant entirely?"

This analogy makes no sense to me, because if I don't like the food at one restaurant, I can always go somewhere else.
The analogy makes sense to me - it's a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" kind of thing. Why boycott a studio and skip some products you WOULD like because they put out some that you DON'T like?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
it's a "cutting off your nose to spite your face"

It would be if by not buying from Artisan, I was suffering unduly. That may not be the case. But either way, to stand up for a principle - and I do believe there is a principle involved here - can involve, by its very nature, some degree of sacrifice. If you will only stand by what you believe as long as it comes at absolutely no cost to you, then you aren't really willing to stand by your beliefs.

Lafe F

Second Unit
My beefs against Artisan:

They released Dario Argento's "Sleepless" in Pan & Scan only
"Twin Peaks" season 2 is taking them too long to release

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The only positive thing they've done in the past year is to release "After Dark My Sweet" in a nice 2.35:1 16x9 transfer. Every other catalog release from them has been an utter disappointment. It's as if everything that's 1.85 is released full-frame (Extreme Prejudice, Johnny Handsome, The Hit, etc.). "Mountains of the Moon" and "Trees Lounge" are particularly baffling as widescreen elements exist on DVD on those films' previous Pioneer releases. It doesn't help that the covers to the P&S releases are exactly the same as the previous WS ones.

"Dog Soldiers" is 16x9 WS, but the transfer isn't going to win any awards.

Awful studio.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am not thrilled with Artisan, either, and am hoping for the rumored special edition of ANGEL HEART, as well as (I hope) a OAR DVD release of THE PAWNBROKER, which I believe they now own, as it was most recently a Republic property.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The only positive thing they've done in the past year is to release "After Dark My Sweet" in a nice 2.35:1 16x9 transfer. Every other catalog release from them has been an utter disappointment.
Glengarry Glen Ross was an utter disappointment? The failure to include the commentaries from the Pioneer SE LD aside, color me far from disappointed.
DJ

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually, not to be cheeky, but if you have WS set, 16x9 Fullscreen is perfectly accurate!
:)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Let me rephrase that-- every non "special edition" catalog release. While I have some reservations about the "Reservoir Dogs" transfer, the set is pretty nifty. I held off on "Glengarry" because I have the LD SE (I would have probably reconsidered if they had kept the Jack Lemmon commentary track), but I've heard it looks great.

Every non-SE catalog release,. however, seems to have been given the bum's rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks