For a couple years now, I have been thinking about getting a third cat. I've even dreamt about it on occasion. Now some will wonder why and I guess it just boils down to the fact that I want to adopt another orphaned cat or kitten and I feel I have a little more love to give out. Maybe that sounds cheesy, but it wasn't an impulsive decision. Well today I went to meet a little 8 week old kitten named Spike. He was really shy, but warmed up to me pretty quick. He really was a sweet little thing: grey and white and fluffy and gentle and playful. Unfortunately I noticed right away that little Spike had more than the usual mucousy eye discharge going on. He was also sneezing and obviously had a runny nose. Definitely full of zest and energy though. I enquired about it and was told he had been diagnosed with a little upper respiratory infection and had been on antibiotics for about 10 days. As the guardian of two cats already, I was naturally concerned about whether or not Spike might be contagious. I called a vet clinic and was informed that Spike likely had one of three possible upper respiratory infections, basically a cold. The vet clinic said it sounded like he was on the mend, but might still be contagious. They went on to tell me that while, in the vast majority of cases, these things are minor and no more harmful than a cold would be to a human, there are occasions when cats can become dreadfully ill...to the point where even moving about becomes near impossible. Naturally I could not risk the possibility of passing this on to Velcro and Eddie, remote as the possibility might be. But now I feel kind of guilty. If I didn't already live with two cats, or if Spike had been healthy, I would have taken him home in a second. I'm also a bit concerned. Though I'm sure he will eventually shake off the cold, I suspect the person who is fostering him may not have been as dilligent about his medication as she should have been. Perhaps a missed dose, perhaps he spit some back up. I can't put my finger on it, but there was something about her general attitude that made me suspect. To make matters worse, Spike is eating a very well known brand of cat food. A trusted brand. A brand with lots of advertising. A brand that is really not very good at all. It would be akin to you or I trying to fight off a cold solely on a diet of Ritz crackers and Cheez Whiz. I'm not sure what to do now, but here is what I am contemplating: I'm going to phone the person who arranged this tomorrow (She basically does volunteer work and freelance cat adoptions). I am going to tell her that if Spike becomes symptom free and still has no permanent home, I would like to meet with him again. I am also going to express my concerns about his diet and medication. Of course, I am going to make every effort to be tactful and not accusatory. I really don't think he is being neglected, but I think perhaps he may be a victim of the misinformed. Now don't panic, either way I'm confident Spike will recover. But there is a difference between surviving and thriving and I'd like to see this little guy thrive. I have no idea why I'm posting this exactly, but feedback is more than welcome.