What's new

I had to buy a suit today (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
luckily JC Penny was having that 35% off sale, so I got a jacket and pants that were 190 and 70 bucks for 46 and 120 or 130, not a bad deal I don't think, both 100% wool. Seem ok for the $. Not as nice as the $500 kenneth cole I saw :)
I'm going to be PISSED if I spend 300 bucks on a suit and don't get the job though :D
that's the end of show and tell for today.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
BTW, why is it so hard to find the big AND tall pants? once you get into the size 40 range all I can ever find are short man's pants, I need a 36 or so, who the hell needs a 42x28?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah, I DID have a reason for posting this. What do you think? should I go back and get the vest?

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear that you had to get a suit, thats something I hope I never have to buy.
When I try to buy jeans of 36 inseam, I only can find 20 inseam, 50 waist, funny size people out there! :)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
BTW, why is it so hard to find the big AND tall pants? once you get into the size 40 range all I can ever find are short man's pants, I need a 36 or so, who the hell needs a 42x28?
I only need a 34" inseam but I still often have problems finding them in stores. Then I started buying mail order and that pretty much solved that problem. Most of the major stores have an online presense and carry much better selections than in their stores. Also, there are a good selection of specialty stores for products like jeans, dockers, and others. For a specialty item like a suit that won't often work but it definitely works for regular cloths.

Kenneth

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip,
Nice biz look. Instead of the vest, use the money to have a reputable tailor "fit" the suit to you. They do little 1/2" alterations that seem pointless but the results will amaze you. Dont settle the dept. store's work.
Good luck with gig!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
In my opinion we ALL need at least one suit. I'm sick of seeing men at weddings and funerals and worship services in their "best" shirt and levis.
There are other occasions that sometimes require dressing up, it's how we show respect.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Only buy the vest if the company you are interviewing for is a very large, very "conservative" level company. Think IBM in the 70's and 80's, then a vest wouldn't be a bad idea, luckily most companies are a bit more lax with thier dress requirements (I always followed the rule of never being under-dressed when going to an interview, so if the interviewer's wear something like that, you should to).

Mark's suggestion is certainly the best, spend an extra $50-100 and get the suit tailor fitted to your own body, especially the jacket. That will turn an otherwise inexpensive suit into something that looks very nice and professional.

Andrew

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion we ALL need at least one suit. I'm sick of seeing men at weddings and funerals and worship services in their "best" shirt and levis.
I kind of agree, I was noticing how much smaller the suit section keeps getting, and how much larger the business casual section gets. I can't imagine showing up for any professional interview in anything less than a suit, there's no way I would consider it.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
As a rule, you should always have at least one suit (that fits!) ready to go. And it shouldn't be of a style that was popular when All in the Family was still on the air. ;)
As far as sizes, Men's Wearhouse IMO is the best thing going for well made stuff that isn't overpriced.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Nice biz look. Instead of the vest, use the money to have a reputable tailor "fit" the suit to you. They do little 1/2" alterations that seem pointless but the results will amaze you. Dont settle the dept. store's work.
Amen to both.
Where did the photo come from? Looks like a Penny's ad from 1980. I didn't know that sideburns were coming that far down again and that hair over the ears went this this conservative of a suit.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Gosh judging from the comments here I must be a cloths whore.

I have six well-tailored suits and I rarely need one for work.

I agree with the comments that every man should at least have one suit but in truth it should be two.

One of them should be black for it is the only appropriate color for a funeral.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
where's a good place to find a tailor?
The interview is dec 13, so I'm on a time budget here, should I just look for TAILOR in the yellowpages? :D ;)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Man, not only do I not own a suit, but I've never worn one. I never will. That stuff is not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks