What's new

I had Great Expectations (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finally got around to watching "Great Expectations" directed by David Lean. Everything was great until the end, which I think is another example of the infuriating notion that a film must have a happy ending (and in this case, a most hamhanded one). Perhaps I was expecting too much, but why wouldn't I when I'd read this version was the most faithful to the novel? I hated the Ethan Hawke adaptation when it came out but now in some ways I like that one better because I didn't feel robbed by it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote:another example of the infuriating notion that a film must have a happy ending

Not just films. Dickens himself wrote an alternate happy ending to the novel. Good editions usually publish both. The ending to the Lean film may be a bit melodramatic, but I think it's true to the spirit of Dickens' alternate ending.

M.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a vague recollection of Dickens writing a happy ending, now that you mention it. Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One of the fascinating things about Dickens is that he was a great artist who also understood show business. His original bleak ending to GE is obviously the right one, but he had no hesitation about giving the audience what they wanted if it meant better sales. And he was skillful enough as a writer to craft a happy ending that didn't completely undo everything that had gone before. If I remember correctly, the last line of the happy ending is something like "the sun was shining". I always figured that Lean's dramatic device of having Pip rip down the curtains was inspired by that.

M.

Keith M.

Second Unit
oops...

Thought you were referring to the new MGM release...

I have been wanting to pick up the criterion box set Great Adaptions, but the new releases are flowing strong due to xmas coming up...

Are there any interesting extras on the CC disc?

TedT

Second Unit
I only saw the South Park version.

How were the flying robot monkeys handled in the original?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks