What's new

I had given up on classic TV/DVD releases, UNTIL this year. 2014 turned out great (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
So I haven't posted on here in a long time, basically because none of the stuff I'm interested in has been released in ages, and I had pretty much given up, and figured the gravy train of 10 yrs ago had come to an end.
I'm a junkie of late '70's-mid '80's action/drama & comedies

I'm fortunate in the sense that most of the stuff that I collect, has been completed, and every single title on my hit list, has had at least one season release..
So it has basically always been an issue of stalled releases, that by now, I gave up on

So earlier this year, I figured my collection was pretty much done, and then a few months back, one after another, these series begin to be announced, and released
Here they are;

First & foremost, here are the top two that I figured "when pigs fly"

-The Wonder Years
- WKRP

Need I say more about these two?? Who the heck thought these two would ever see the light of day, and in un butchered formats, with most original music intact.
I think a big shout out (no pun) should go to SHOUT FACTORY & TIME LIFE

Next on my list

-Hart To Hart seasons 3 & 4 - once again great job Shout
-CHIPS season 3 - one of my faves, not sure who is releasing it, but I hope we see all 6 seasons

-The Jeffersons- complete box set - great to have one, complete, fairly priced box set

-Nash Bridges - the only mid 90s show I collect.

I hope 2015 sees as many stalled releases completed

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Dan*T said:
-Hart To Hart seasons 3 & 4 - once again great job Shout
Indeed! I was wondering if we would ever get out of the dry spell on that one. Good on Shout! for getting that.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I couldn't agree more. You mention some great, "when hell freezes over"-type releases that somehow all saw the light of day in the same calendar year. And don't forget about Batman!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Both the Harts and Jeffersons are each on my XMAS TV wish list--and two of only but a handful of TV titles remaining for me to get in time for the holidays!!!!!! This is, indeed, a wonderful thing. :)

And as of Batman Blu-Ray LE TCS...only The Jeffersons' Deee-luxe Edition TCS remains as the only complete series set left for me this XMAS to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Completely agree - Phil Silvers, Marx bros on TV, and reissues like Dangerman have made this nearly perfect! Nice to have an appreciation thread, as opposed to a 'Debbie Downer' reminder, as seen elsewhere...

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
My wallet has really taken a hit this year, but I'm lovin' it! I hope that Shout! continues the "complete series" trend. I'm also hopeful for more Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Little House in 2015.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Mr. Handley said:
My wallet has really taken a hit this year, but I'm lovin' it! I hope that Shout! continues the "complete series" trend. I'm also hopeful for more Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Little House in 2015.
A friend in Germany said the color Gunsmoke episodes have just started to be released there. They skipped Season 12 and released both Seasons 13 and 14. He said they were uncut, but not remastered. He thought the picture quality was not very good. I'm hopeful we do better in the U.S. as the first 10 seasons released here (Season 11 is due next week) have all been very satisfactory.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I recorded Gunsmoke S7-11 from Encore Westerns, but I bought the CBS/P releases for those same seasons because of the beautiful HD remastering. CBS/P will be making a big mistake to release the color Gunsmokes at a lesser quality than the B/W releases.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Little House has been outstanding, and waiting to see it finished up proper. waiting to see if CBS continues Lucy and Andy Griffith in the next year, jazzed about Classic Battlestar making it its HD release this upcoming year, wonder what else is in store for us???

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ChrisALM said:
I recorded Gunsmoke S7-11 from Encore Westerns, but I bought the CBS/P releases for those same seasons because of the beautiful HD remastering. CBS/P will be making a big mistake to release the color Gunsmokes at a lesser quality than the B/W releases.
I don't think you need to worry about that. The German and Australian markets have always been ahead of the curve then the US market by releasing seasons of series before CBS has remastered them. That is why we always get them later. I see no indication that CBS won't continue to remaster each seasons of Gunsmoke before releasing in the US, and that includes the color seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks