What's new

I guess it comes in 4's! Billy Mays Has Died (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I really liked Billy thanks to Pitchmen. I feel sorry for his little girl, who is about four or five years old. Billy was a good man who got rich making other people rich.

Billy had his own private plane. I wonder why he was flying commercial.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
From most accounts he wasn't in ill health. CNN reports that he was on a US Airways flight the previous day that had a "hard landing" where stuff from the overhead bins came down. Billy Mays was hit in the head, he said in a post-landing interview, but also said "it's okay I got a hard head." There were no reported injuries from the landing.

He then passed away in his sleep. People I know who work in the medical field are speculating that he may have had a clot of some sort in his brain and that the trauma may have aggravated it.

In either case, a shame, I saw him this past week on one of the late night talk shows and found him to be pretty funny. Not a good week to be a celebrity.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

That's too much of a coincidence. Something about that "hard landing" almost had to have played a part in his death.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Discovery has the entire series that has aired set to run on a marathon
starting Wed at noon.
I wonder if there are any shows that didn't air and if they will.

Back in my early 20's I had a job that allowed me to be awake
during the late hours and I became somewaht
addicted to infomercials.
The ones that were like a talk show were most interesting to me.
then the guy with the british accent, I never bought any of those
products, I just couldn't stop watchiing the shows.

I thought Pitchmen was about as good a "reality" show as one can be.
They get to have an real show that goes about showing us a behind
the scenes of how the products get from idea to infomercial.

great stuff.

too bad this happened.
Sounds just like Natasshia Richardson.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This Wednesday's episode is new.

Could have been Mike Levey's "Amazing Discoveries" with his Brit pal, Ian. Mike always wore a sweater and glasses, and Ian always interrupted him with a, "But, Mike! But, Mike!" The product I most remember was a hand blender that looked somewhat like a sex toy. They'd put an egg in some oil, put this thing down in it, and make instant mayo by pulling it up.

You can see some of Amazing Discoveries on YouTube. Unfortunately, Mike died about five years ago.

Like you, I watched informercials regularly during the late '80s/early '90s and I never bought anything. I still watch them every now and then if they are interesting. I like the Time-Life music infomercials. The one with Bowser is great.

Pitchmen was a absolute coup for Billy and Sully. I'm sitting there watching it, fascinated by the process, dreaming about inventing something and hitting it big, and all the while, I'm wanting to buy the products on display! A reality show that doubles as an infomercial.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The speculation is that it could have been an "epidural hematoma" which is the same thing that killed Natasha Richardson. It is caused by a blunt trauma to the head and can initially have no symptoms. Increasing pressure on the brain causes coma and death if not treated quickly.

The autopsy is set for today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks