What's new

I gotta tell the HTF!!!! (2 Viewers)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever have something happen to you during the day and thought "This would make a great HT thread", but figure it wouldn't generate a lot of talk, so you decided not to. :laugh:

I'm always running into funny situations and thinking "I can't wait to tell the folks at HTF"

Like, in our bathroom at work, my boss has a book on the cabinet (that we keep our toilet paper in) and it's called "Hazardous Waste Management", which looks funny when you see it next to the toilet. :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sadly many of my conversations involve me explaining my interactions with the HTF, like "a buddy of mine at the HTF was just saying" or "that's what everyone has been debating at the HTF" or even "I'm flying to another state to catch a film with my buddy from the HTF" ;).

In HTF world it all seems perfectly normal, but somehow it doesn't play as well with in-person reality. :)

I speak to many people on a daily basis, but I'd still say that I speak with and have more friends at the HTF.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I find myself in the same boat as Seth and it does seem to be a little weird when I say that we were just talking about these playoff matchups over at HTF and so on and so forth. I also showed a friend of mine the Star Wars thread in the software section, I think he was tramatized by all the crotch kicking and Jar Jar cooking that was going on at the time.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Hey aren't you the one that came up with the icon? If so its partially your own doing...though several of us have our foot in it so to speak.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
GAH!

Mark, MUST you do that? Damn.

I'm trying to imagine explaining self-crotch-kicking to ANYONE. People would just think I'm on crack. ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Mark, I'm using your crotch-kicking sign as my avatar at Mark Millar's website. I'm hosting it myself, so I hope it's ok that I'm borrowing it. If it isn't, just let me know.

'tis true for me as well, at least as far as movies are concerned. Sometimes I'll be watching a movie with friends, who are nowhere near as interested in the film as I am, and I find myself thinking "so-and-so from HTF would appreciate this". Happened when I tried to introduce my friend Erica to Star Wars. Halfway through Empire she was dozing off. I actually thought "this would be a lot more fun to watch with the guys from the HTF Star Wars 'clique'".

I don't know if that's cool or pathetic. Possibly both :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Seth sums it up pretty well. At the last meet, everyone around me wondered what all the fuss was about as I special ordered brews/drinks and customized a potpourri of refreshments. And trying to explain arguments, software trades and reviews is another thing. My immediate household all participate here, but outside of that, they just don't get it. We sure are the first they call though, when their receiver, tv or player takes a dump. :)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I think about you guys whenever I see Sillica St here in Sacramento. (This is no joke!)

:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I opened a pack of Beef Jerky and saw the little packet of absorbant material and said to my friend "Oh my GOD! LOOK!......" She looked at me all confused, then I realized the whole silica thing was just between us here, so I said "forget about it" :frowning:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I keep wanting to tell the HTF about some of my personal woes, but I find myself restrained. Oh well. :) Good thread by the way.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, doesn't it suck not being able to make silica jokes when you are at some Mexican restaurant with your friends.

Yeah, that's basically my solution anymore. I have a few friends who've had it explained, and some of them even sometime say "what are the guys at HTF saying about that".

I like that even though we are all CPU friendly/HT friendly/film friendly/video game friendly geek types, people are still from all different regions and even around the globe, so you are still getting some differing views and experiences you normally wouldn't.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The other thing too is that most of the people (in fact almost all) I know, aren't into the technology area so it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to talk to them about this stuff. It's much easier to talk to people here because they are on (or close to) the same wave length. The closest person I can talk to about HT is my friends husband who built a nice HT, but even still, we were talking about a movie and I mentioned DTS and he didn't seem to understand (or care) what I was talking about. :frowning:

Even some of the humor just goes over my friends heads.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I told my friend a joke that started out "So a silica packet walks in to a bar and kicks itself in the crotch," and needless to say it was not understood and he definitely did not laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks