I got to meet the president today....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Wladyka, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Jul 24, 2003
    So President George W. Bush, visited my workplace in good ole Cleveland, Ohio. I got to shake his hand and had a couple minute group chat with him. Regardless of how i feel about his politics, i thought it was pretty cool to meet him.

Got me to thinking about what famous people have any of you got to meet? so who has...
  2. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Feb 21, 2000

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Aug 16, 1999
    I met Geraldo Rivera one time - what an arse.
  4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Mar 14, 2001
    I once won a congressional award, and actually skipped out on parts of it because I didn't want to have to shake hands with politicians I despised.
  5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jan 27, 2003
    People who have visited my workplace (since I've been employed):

-Rob Reiner
    -Keir Dullea (2001)
    -Sidney Lumet (Director of "Serpico")
    -Mellanie Griffith
    -Sandy Duncan
    -Ossie Davis
    -Celeste Holm
    -Joseph L. Mankiewicz
    -Judith Light
    -Giancarlo Esposito
    -Lance Armstrong

just off the top of my head.
  6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oct 16, 2000
    I used to be friends with Tito Santana's son, but now he works at a local high school and his wife runs a hair salon.

There's a bunch of celebrities who live around here, but I haven't met most of them. Not sure how many I've really met. My brother knows a bunch from different stuff.
  7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dec 28, 1998
    I delivered furniture to Armond Assante years ago - he had a awesome Ferrari in the driveway.

There are alot of celebs around me, I guess becuase Im sort of close to NYC.

Others who have homes near me.... (That I can remember)

Tom Selleck,Uma Thruman,Mary Tyler Moore,Liam Neesan, Billy Joel,Lou Saverise(Boxer).Booby Blitz(Overkill)and Eric Carr(Kiss)were born near here.Carrs mother used to work at the old Sullivans Dept store in my town.
  8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Jan 29, 2002
    I've been lucky enough to meet a bunch of people over the years. Mostly TV/Movie folks... only a couple of political types. (I've met a few wrestling folks over the years as well..)

Kofi Anan (sp)
    Ralph Klein (our provincial Premier)

André Rousimoff (Andre The Giant)
    Jesse White
    Mickey Rooney
    Jim J. Bullock
    Robert Vaughn
    James Doohan
    June Lockhart
    William Christopher
    Larry Linville
    Frank Gorshin
    Gordon Jump
    Mark Lenard
    Ann B. Davis
    Wil Wheaton
    Lee Horsley
    Michael Dorn
    James Sikking
    Joe Spano
    Betty Thomas
    Ed Marinaro
    Joyce DeWitt
    Barbi Benton
    Joy Garrett
    Guy Siner
    Eddie Mekka
    Richard Moll
    Rosalyn Kind (Barbra Streisand's sister)
    Adam West

I met all these folks over the years I worked at a local dinner theatre, and/or because my Dad worked for a TV station in my city. [​IMG] I may have met more... but can't remember at the moment. [​IMG]

Some were nice, some were jerks.

Nicest folks I've met:

James Sikking - insisted on sharing his lunch with me, as I didn't have any cash on me.

Joyce DeWitt - just a bubbly genuinely nice person

Adam West - cool guy. Met when I was a kid, and I asked him "where Batman was". He responded with something like "don't worry little chum...he'll be along". And he was. [​IMG] "Little chum". [​IMG] Too cool.

Lee Horsley - nice guy.

Jim J. Bullock - genuine nutbar. TOTALLY nice guy.... even came out and played baseball with the theater's team.

Andre The Giant - Very gentle, nice fellow. And he was HUGE.
  9. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

May 29, 2000

Gerald Ford (while he was president)
    Winona Ryder (when I lived in NYC)
    Alan Alda (in NYC)
    Nick Ashford (in NYC)
    Steve Tyler (backstage here in Vegas)
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer (told Keith to keep Greg away from the donuts, he cracked up)
    Tom Selleck (at a small airport in CT - I was doing my preflight as he stepped off a private jet nearby on the tarmac)

I think there were others, I forget. [​IMG]
  10. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Mar 24, 1998
    I saw Charlie Sheen getting off a SouthWest Flight in Vegas a few years back.

That is my only "encounter" with any celeb.
  11. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

May 28, 2003

- Gerald Ford (at the airport)
    - Ted DiBiase
    - Sid Vicious
    - Jake "the Snake" Roberts
    - Wolfman Jack
    - Walter Koenig
    - Grace Lee Whitney
    - Mark Lenard (Sarek)
    - Bob Anderson (I think that's his name, I forget at the moment, but he was David Prowse's stunt double in the original Star Wars trilogy)
    - Larnelle Harris
    - Shaun Groves
    - Rebecca St. James
    - the guys from Audio Adrenaline

Two years ago, Christopher Reeve came to Ole Miss to accept an $85,000 donation from a charity football game for his paralysis foundation. What I would have given to have seen or met him! Unfortunately, that was the weekend I had to go out of town to Albuquerque, NM for a K-12 videoconference seminar.
  12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Jul 4, 1997

Ronald Reagan
    George Bush (Sr.)
    Dan Quayle
    Alex Trebek [​IMG]
    William Clinton
    Bill Cosby
    (had dinner with Bob & Liddy Dole)
    Michael Stipe (trapped in LAX)
    Jose Canseco (same flight as I was on)
    Tori Amos (numerous times [​IMG]
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Wesley Crusher [​IMG] (eh, he lived in Topeka, KS and was working with a tech company then.. haven't followed Will Wheaton's career since then)
    George Brett (was a nice guy to me)
    Barry Bonds (what a jerk)
    Michael Spinks
    Ziggy Marley
  13. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

May 20, 2002
    i got to shake hands with nelson mandela, he came to our shul, just after he was elected.
  14. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Nov 22, 1999

0...and proud of it [​IMG]
  15. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Jun 22, 2003
    I've worked for the Governor of PA, Ed Rendell. Funniest moment with him (well not really, but I'm not going to post any of those):

Phone rings, I pick it up
    Me: Governor's Scheduling Office.
    Gov: Seth, it's Ed.
    Me: Ed?
    Gov: The Governor.
    Me: Oh oh oh. Sorry Governor. You sound different on speaker phone.
  16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jan 27, 2003
    and I hope you handed him the "DVD's: OAR only" bill to be passed by congress! [​IMG]
  17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Dec 14, 2000
    I met John Kerry at a Halloween party--unfortunately I was in costume with my face painted like a skeleton!
    Gerald Ford is a popular choice! I was on a flight with the former President about 15 years ago.
    I met General Richard Myers, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
    I have met numerous U.S. Senators and Representatives.
    I have met several foreign ambassadors and had dinners at two Ambassador's Residences in Washington, DC.
    I met a few professional wrestlers at a bar. Most notable was Randy Savage who sounded just like he does in the Slim Jim commercial.
    I also met Dave Matthews backstage at a concert.

My wife has me beat.
    She met the last two Presidents and Vice Presidents as well as many more politicians.
    She also has met several celebrities at various events--she really liked Kevin Spacey.
  18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Feb 1, 2001
    When I was a kid I might have seen Mike Douglas. The rumor in the neighborhood was that the elderly woman that lived across the street from my friend was his mother.

When I was visiting my brother and his wife in LA about 20 years ago we went to a nice seafood restaurant on the coast. We're pretty sure that it was Mick Fleetwood in the booth next to us.

On the way in to a Replacements gig I stopped on the discreet side of an old piece-o-junk van parked near the venue to relieve myself. At some point during the procedure the door to the van opened and a couple of the band members stepped out. I didn't get an autograph.

If you want to meet the famous, just hang with me. [​IMG]
  19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nov 13, 2000
    daaaaaaaaaaamn yoooooooooooooouz guuuuuuuuuys.
  20. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2002
    Actually it was due to a celebrity close encounter that I got into home theater in the first place.

I used to fill in at my roommate's record store here in Seattle.

Mark Lanegan of the Screaming Trees was a frequent customer. He would come in periodically with an armful of LPs to sell, so he could buy mashed potatoes at the nearby Kentucky Fried.

One day he brought in an armful of bright, shiny LASERDISCS to sell. Since I was paid in merchandise rather than $$, I came home with Akira (Criterion CAV) and Fargo. I immediately started asking my friends if anyone had a used LD player for sale, and I lucked out. A co-worker at the pizza shop where I also worked had an LD player in her closet that her husband had bought but never used. It was the last Pioneer analog model, with the gas laser, built like a tank. Best $30 I ever spent.

That was in 1997. I was happy to have a crappy transfer of any film as long as it was uncut and in letterbox. Now, my LD/DVD collection is well past 1,000 and I can't bear to watch anything that isn't scaled up to at least 720p.

All thanks to MARK LANEGAN.