I got the "finger" yesterday!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by alan halvorson, Aug 31, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

And probably rightfully so.

I was coming back from shopping in Rochester, MN, about 45 miles from my hometown. Half the route is rural 2-lane road; the land is rolling with lots of trees. I came upon a slow-moving van and when a stretch with no on-coming cars presented itself, I passed. As I pulled just ahead of the van, a motorcycle suddenly poppped - seemingly - out of the trees and was forced to the shoulder to avoid me. As the motorcyclist went by, he gave me the single finger salute.

I was embarrassed as all get out. The motorcyclist had his headlight on, as required by state law, but otherwise blended perfectly into the background. He wasn't wearing a helmet, which might have made him easier to see. Neither I nor my mother, who was the purpose of the trip, saw the cycle until it was almost on us. Yikes! I am certainly glad he had good reactions and didn't panic and didn't slip off the shoulder which wasn't very wide. I wished I could have apologized but probably it was a good thing that I couldn't because I'll bet he would have had a few choice words for me.

What the motorcyclist should have done is slowed to allow me time to return to my lane, which is what I've done many times. But that doesn't excuse me.

So now I feel a little queasy. I will be looking extra hard when I pass from now on.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

While that's a bad excuse, it's (unfortunately) a tactic you must take when driving "defensively".

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, if it's any consolation .... i almost ran over a chp motorcycle officer once. i was on the freeway and was changing lanes. i guess he was in my blind-spot or something -- i'm usually pretty good about looking over my shoulder -- but there he was. he had to slam on his brakes and i think he even swerved a little.

boy, was he mad. he pulled up right beside me and looked at me real hard. i waved as apologetically (and pathetically) as i possibly could and tried to bleakly smile. thankfully he didn't pull me over or anything.

but man, did i feel like an ass for the rest of the drive hom.

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

No big...happens all the time with maniac auto drivers [​IMG] Kinda disappointed though....when I read the topic title I thought you'd been to Wendy's for lunch.

Mort

5. MarkHastings

Aw, come on, there's an even DIRTIER joke to be said about the topic title. [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Wasn't there a legally blind thread floating around here... [​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

I never saw it [​IMG]

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    You could always get those LED programmable signs that go in your car and have it set to "Sorry about that."

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Yes - started by me, of course.

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Motorcycles and cars don't mix well. It helps to have a death wish when riding a motorcycle in traffic- at least many people on them ride like they do. I love when they ride in my blind spot, make their own lanes between cars, etc., not to mention tailgating, which makes them one tap of my foot away from serious problems.

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I doubt a helmet would've made it easier for you to see him unless it was outlined in neon and had flashing leds all over it!

12. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Everybody makes mistakes. I got the finger a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to find a gas station right outside of NYC. When I found one, it was very small and crowded. I was trying to maneuver my way in and I blocked somebody in. He was not a happy camper.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've had that happen before to me on my bicycle. Cycling down a two lane road with a dotted yellow line, some dolt decided to pass the car in front of him just as my friend and I were going the other direction. Fortunately, as cyclists, we aren't in the middle of the lane but it wasn't a good move on his part. Didn't have time to give him the finger though. [​IMG]

Jay

14. Rudi

Rudi Stunt Coordinator

You must have a car similar to George McFlys.

If your mirrors are set correctly you should not have a blind spot.

15. MarkHastings

Yeah, Shit happens. It's the ones that are CLEARLY not paying attention to safety that deserve more than a middle finger.

16. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    It's funny, we have a universal driver's sign to express anger (the finger) but no universal driver's sign to express "oops, I screwed up, sorry". Maybe smack yourself in the forehead?

17. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I guess us living in California must be very rude. I see the finger everyday almost. Not always aimed at me but I see it, or give it.

18. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I was riding my bike a few weeks ago, training for an event, and this a$$hole blasted me out of the road for no apparent reason. It was a Sunday, fairly early, and there wasn't even any on-coming traffic. I was within a reasonable distance from the curb and riding responsibly. Anyway, after his blast I simply waved to him then he really got pissed and flipped me off while he drove off. Felt good to diffuse the moron!

19. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I almost gave the finger to some bi**h today. She honked at me when I pulled out in front of her but I was at least 3 car lengths in front of her and she was going 10-15 miles per hour. She wasn't even CLOSE to hitting me yet she had to honk. I HATE stupid people. I wish I had a LED sign that lit and said "YOU'RE A MORON!!!"

Ahhhhh.......now I feel better.

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    They are programmable to say whatever you want!