I got my surrounds mounted! (with pics!)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Yes, my life is small and meaningless until my household goods get here; my TV is in there, darnit!

So, I'm hooking up what I can, little by little.

Yesterday, I got my QS-8s mounted and wired up.

As you guys know, hanging surrounds is a PITA. You've got to ensure that you don't mount the bracket too high or low as the speaker will then hit the ceiling or drape over a door frame or something. Of course, you've got to get them both at the exact same height too!

Yeah, the wiring is exposed; this is an apartment, unfortunately. When I buy my house (hopefully next year) all wiring will be thru the walls, the right way.

Here's the right surround bracket hung.

Is it level? You tell me!

Here's the right surround hung.

Yes; I am proud of my wiring job.

Here's the left surround mounted up.

So you get an idea of the room, the couch will be going right where the SVS is sitting.

Same for the left surround.

The entertainment center/TV/equipment rack will go on this wall here.

More pics to come...hopefully about 10 days from now. I want my stuff, darnit.

ps
Go ahead...bust my nuts about the "big screen TV.
Hey, it's better than nothing for now. I am, however, only using it's built in 2" speaker.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Reaction score

Very funny, as I was scrolling down and saw the TV I was thinking to myself damn they are going to get all over him on the TV. It’s funny because I am also currently using a 13” TV as well, the 27” that I will using for the summer is still at college. Anyway you got some very nice gear ready to setup in there
and the surrounds look great, clean wiring too! I am sure you will have plenty of fun hooking the rest of the system up as well.

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
George
Nope, according to the pic, that's NOT level! How can you live with yourself?

How do you like those Axioms? I am going to order some QS8s for my rear channels as a temporary basis until I can afford to get some MLs to match my fronts. Then I'll move them to a second room. I was able to hear them a couple of weeks ago and I really liked them myself.

Back to the topic on hand, nice job on working with what you have. Very neat job with your wiring.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys.
I believe in "doing it right." I took my time and did the best job I could. Hey, it's LEVEL...OK, it's off by like ONE MILLIMETER...give a workin' man a break, here!

Though I bought the Axioms in September 2003, they've been in storage since then.
I haven't heard them yet.

Well...I DID do the "battery test" on the surrounds yesterday to ensure the wiring was good to go.

Same goes for the Denon 3803...I opened the box to touch it (yes, I am a sad, sad man...) but it's never been out of the box yet.

My soon-to-be-here TV is a 32" Sony Trinitron. Not a Wega (too bad..) It's about 7 years old and I keep it calibrated with the Avia DVD...looks pretty good, actually. Should be here the last week of the month. I cannot wait.

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
George

What HTF member can honestly say they wouldn't do this in the same situation?

So, what's the battery test?

Also, which SVS boxed sub is that, and have you listened to it yet? Which Axioms do you have? I couldn't read the boxes entirely.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
You don't know "the battery test?" You do it primarily to check polarity. You take a "AA" battery and touch the + wire to the + battery terminal while holding the - wire to the - terminal.

You "touch-release-touch-release" a few times. The speaker cones should move OUT towards you if you have them hooked up correctly.

I know mine were hooked up correctly; I just did the test to verify the wire was good.

The SVS is a PB2-Plus. My neighbors are going to hate me. Don't get me started on that, though...that's another rant thread entirely.

Axioms:
M22ti
QS-8
VP-150

I built those stands for them and the M22s look GREAT on them. I can post some pics....

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
George
I've never heard of that test. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Your neighbors WILL hate you! I've had my PB2+ for 2 weeks now and this thing is incredibly powerful. This is the thread of my getting it. At reference, I measured 85 dBs on my meter while I was holding it next to my neighbors house.

I am pretty sure that Craig had the M22tis when I picked up the SVS. I liked them too. The full system I heard had M60s as the mains, then a V150 center, 2 QS8s for the rear surrounds. Very nice sound, I recommended that to my father who is in the market for new speakers.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
My building is deathly quiet...a few retirees living here too.
I already know what's going to happen.

But, I've been in the game long enough to know that the only way to truly get left alone is to buy a house. I'll deal with this for another year.

The apartment IS very nice...nice area too, so I'll just deal with it...or they will have to deal with me....or we'll just come to a compromise somehow.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
LAMO @ your thread, George!
Very creative. Best intro of new stuff, EVER.

I will try to keep the noise down for the general "peace among neighbors" factor, but I've got to at least crank the following scenes:

Pod Race
"Knocking"
Depth Charge
Sock
Nuke Explosion in T2
Crane chase in T3

And about...100 others.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Reaction score
well hook that sh!t up

LET'S PARTY!!!!!!!

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Very nice...nothing wrong with a few exposed wires...

Why haven't you bragged on ATOT yet?

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
George
Michael,

I know what you mean about all of the demos you've got to do. It's really great when you tell yourself, "Ok, last demo, then I'm going to bed so I can get up early for work tomorrow." 20 demos later you repeat that line!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Hey Joe,

Well, those geeks (most of'em) couldn't appreciate just mounting a set of surrounds. It wouldn't be exciting for them.

Once my entire system is up and running (within the next two weeks!! Yeah!!!) then I'll take some pics.

ps
More demos. More demos. More demos!!!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Bones