I got my surrounds mounted! (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MichaelDDD, May 16, 2004.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Yes, my life is small and meaningless until my household goods get here; my TV is in there, darnit!

So, I'm hooking up what I can, little by little.

Yesterday, I got my QS-8s mounted and wired up.

As you guys know, hanging surrounds is a PITA. You've got to ensure that you don't mount the bracket too high or low as the speaker will then hit the ceiling or drape over a door frame or something. Of course, you've got to get them both at the exact same height too!

Yeah, the wiring is exposed; this is an apartment, unfortunately. When I buy my house (hopefully next year) all wiring will be thru the walls, the right way.

Here's the right surround bracket hung.

[​IMG]

Is it level? You tell me!
    [​IMG]

Here's the right surround hung.
    [​IMG]

Yes; I am proud of my wiring job. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the left surround mounted up.
    [​IMG]

So you get an idea of the room, the couch will be going right where the SVS is sitting. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same for the left surround.

[​IMG]

The entertainment center/TV/equipment rack will go on this wall here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics to come...hopefully about 10 days from now. I want my stuff, darnit.

ps
    Go ahead...bust my nuts about the "big screen TV. [​IMG] Hey, it's better than nothing for now. I am, however, only using it's built in 2" speaker. [​IMG]

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Very funny, as I was scrolling down and saw the TV I was thinking to myself damn they are going to get all over him on the TV. It’s funny because I am also currently using a 13” TV as well, the 27” that I will using for the summer is still at college. Anyway you got some very nice gear ready to setup in there [​IMG] and the surrounds look great, clean wiring too! I am sure you will have plenty of fun hooking the rest of the system up as well.

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Nope, according to the pic, that's NOT level! How can you live with yourself? [​IMG]

How do you like those Axioms? I am going to order some QS8s for my rear channels as a temporary basis until I can afford to get some MLs to match my fronts. Then I'll move them to a second room. I was able to hear them a couple of weeks ago and I really liked them myself.

Back to the topic on hand, nice job on working with what you have. Very neat job with your wiring. [​IMG]

4. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks guys. [​IMG] I believe in "doing it right." I took my time and did the best job I could. Hey, it's LEVEL...OK, it's off by like ONE MILLIMETER...give a workin' man a break, here! [​IMG]

Though I bought the Axioms in September 2003, they've been in storage since then. [​IMG] I haven't heard them yet.

Well...I DID do the "battery test" on the surrounds yesterday to ensure the wiring was good to go. [​IMG]

Same goes for the Denon 3803...I opened the box to touch it (yes, I am a sad, sad man...) but it's never been out of the box yet. [​IMG]

My soon-to-be-here TV is a 32" Sony Trinitron. Not a Wega (too bad..) It's about 7 years old and I keep it calibrated with the Avia DVD...looks pretty good, actually. Should be here the last week of the month. I cannot wait.

5. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George

What HTF member can honestly say they wouldn't do this in the same situation?[​IMG]

So, what's the battery test?

Also, which SVS boxed sub is that, and have you listened to it yet? Which Axioms do you have? I couldn't read the boxes entirely.

6. MichaelDDD

Mike
    You don't know "the battery test?" You do it primarily to check polarity. You take a "AA" battery and touch the + wire to the + battery terminal while holding the - wire to the - terminal.

You "touch-release-touch-release" a few times. The speaker cones should move OUT towards you if you have them hooked up correctly.

I know mine were hooked up correctly; I just did the test to verify the wire was good. [​IMG]

The SVS is a PB2-Plus. My neighbors are going to hate me. Don't get me started on that, though...that's another rant thread entirely. [​IMG]

Axioms:
    M22ti
    QS-8
    VP-150

I built those stands for them and the M22s look GREAT on them. I can post some pics....

7. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I've never heard of that test. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Your neighbors WILL hate you! I've had my PB2+ for 2 weeks now and this thing is incredibly powerful. This is the thread of my getting it. At reference, I measured 85 dBs on my meter while I was holding it next to my neighbors house.[​IMG]

I am pretty sure that Craig had the M22tis when I picked up the SVS. I liked them too. The full system I heard had M60s as the mains, then a V150 center, 2 QS8s for the rear surrounds. Very nice sound, I recommended that to my father who is in the market for new speakers.

8. MichaelDDD

Mike
    My building is deathly quiet...a few retirees living here too. [​IMG] I already know what's going to happen.

But, I've been in the game long enough to know that the only way to truly get left alone is to buy a house. I'll deal with this for another year.

The apartment IS very nice...nice area too, so I'll just deal with it...or they will have to deal with me....or we'll just come to a compromise somehow. [​IMG]

9. MichaelDDD

Mike
    LAMO @ your thread, George! [​IMG] Very creative. Best intro of new stuff, EVER.

I will try to keep the noise down for the general "peace among neighbors" factor, but I've got to at least crank the following scenes:

Pod Race
    "Knocking"
    Depth Charge
    Sock
    Nuke Explosion in T2
    Crane chase in T3

And about...100 others. [​IMG]

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

well hook that sh!t up

LET'S PARTY!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Very nice...nothing wrong with a few exposed wires...

Why haven't you bragged on ATOT yet? [​IMG]

12. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Michael,

I know what you mean about all of the demos you've got to do. It's really great when you tell yourself, "Ok, last demo, then I'm going to bed so I can get up early for work tomorrow." 20 demos later you repeat that line![​IMG]

13. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Hey Joe,

Well, those geeks (most of'em) couldn't appreciate just mounting a set of surrounds. It wouldn't be exciting for them. [​IMG]

Once my entire system is up and running (within the next two weeks!! Yeah!!!) then I'll take some pics. [​IMG]

ps
    More demos. More demos. More demos!!!!