I got my SCD-XA777ES Player....it's mind warping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RicP, Dec 27, 2001.

1. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

This is just an initial impression after only 10 or so hours of playback but...In the name of all that is Good and Mighty...
    This is the best CD/SACD player I have ever heard under $6,000.
    Multi-Channel SACD is simply a bonus.
    Every one of my SACD's has a brand new life. I'm still deciding on the redbook side...I have a PerpTech modded P-3A DAC which has been just amazing, and on a few CD's I'm thinking the XA777ES comes very very close to besting it.
    Even if it doesn't, the fact that it is light years ahead of the 333ES as a transport, which is what I was using to fed the PerpTech DAC before makes the CD's that much better.
    So the 333ES is off to the Bedroom to replace a CA7ES carousel Redbook-only player.
    I am just marveling at the sheer awesomeness of this machine. It is better than the 777ES from what I can remmeber and I didn't have enough time with the SCD-1 to really make a fair comparison.
    I'll report more after I have at least 100 hours on it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Stereophile just rated this player very highly(for what it's worth).

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Good deal, Ric. I was wondering what would become of the 'C333ES. Do you think you will miss the convenience of a changer? Of course, I know the 'XA777ES is better than the 'C333ES.

4. Adarsh Daswani

Hey Ric--

Glad to hear you're enjoying the CD player. I noticed that you use a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC. The modded versions are popping up on the used market at great prices, and I wanted to get your input on the unit. I listen to a lot of two-channel music using my Toshiba 3750 DVD player as a transport feeding the digital input on my Yamaha DSP-A1. I also have a lot of MP3's that I've ripped from various CD's...most of them are around 192kbps.

I'm looking at a modified MSB Link III or the Perpetual unit. Any thoughts?

-A.

5. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Ric,

At the risk of being too nosey, where did you buy it and how much?

This unit has my eye, if and when Krell upgrades my HTS for analog through put.

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I got it from Oade Bros. I can't give out the price but give them a call, they'll give you a great deal. www.oade.com
    I LOVE this player!

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, I know that Oade Bros. has been selling the 'XA777ES for $2000. That's been common knowledge for awhile. Could you have possibly done significantly better than that?
    As for the changer, I honestly don't use my carousels in shuffle mode very often. However, I do like being able to load five discs and change them while being parked on the couch. [​IMG] For shuffle mode, I use megachangers.
    It's kind of nice having a 'C333ES in a second system, isn't it. [​IMG] A stock 'C333ES would be a big step up from the 'CA7ES, so I am sure you are in heaven in both systems now.
    Let me guess. You are already looking to contact Dan Wright, Richard Kern, and Ric Schultz about mods for the 'XA777ES. [​IMG]

8. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

AD, I've had the mod P-3A/P-1A system feeding off my Planet digital for a while & I can tell you it's well worth the admission. PT should have the P-5A out soon and with it's 192 upsampling things would only get better. [​IMG]
    I am still holding out on SACD/DVD-A just 'cause I don't feel like giving in to the format war but with Stereophile's recent review... In case it happens, it will probably be the 777 plus a DVD-A player feeding into the Sony TA-P9000 preamp.
    PF

9. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

10. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Good luck with your new player. Looks like a fine machine.

11. Michael D

Michael D Stunt Coordinator

Where are the modded P3As popping up on the used market at great prices??? Anyone have a link to one??

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Just one more thing I noticed about this player is that it is totally whisper quiet. The drawer mechanism, the clamping, everything...it's virtually silent. Quite a change from the sometimes clanky changer in the 333ES.