What's new

I Got My Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I replaced some well regarded Adcom separates- GFP-565 pre-amp, and GFA 5800 power amp(200wpc). I am currently using PSB Stratus Golds for speakers.

The ONLY aspect where I preferred Adcom over the RR2150 was a lack of sibilance that is now noticeable through the Outlaw. I don't know how, but the RR2150 has better bass slam and definition. The midrange seems to have more texture, and the soundstage seems deeper. This thing is a real pleasure to listen to.
I'll take the slight sibilance- because along with it seems to be a lot more music- this receiver is just a lot of fun to listen to.
Last year, I had purchased an NAD C320BEE integrated amp, and though it sounded good, it would simply peter out beyond a certain volume. And it was 'polite' sounding. The Outlaw does not peter out, and is definitely not polite. I would not pair it with very bright speakers.

My downside qualities of the Outlaw are ergonomic, not aural:
The remote seems to turn the volume control 25% whenever you touch it- slight adjustments are not possible. Using the volume control on the unit itself is better, but still requires a deft touch for small adjustments.
I wish the LED readout were able to be changed to rename the source inputs.

I'll update this when I add a sub- one of the reasons I was attracted to this unit was the bass management availability.

If anyone is on the fence, go for it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The volume control issue would kill it for me. That is what they call a design defect. Otherwise sounds good.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Is this just for music or is a little bit of video involved as well? I ask this because I actually would like a seperate set up for music, though I love multi channel music, it's a little distracting when you want to do some critical listening. I'm an old school kind of music listener.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Strictly music Jerome. I believe an old school 2 channel guy might really like this receiver.

BTW, I just added a sub to see how well it would integrate into the system. The bass management seems to really work well in my system. I am using a Snell Basis 300 sub, and I swear it simply sounds like an extension of my Stratus Golds. I have it set to 60Hz, since the Golds extend into the 30's themselves.

I had previously tried subs using preamp outputs, and the sub's crossover, but it always sounded like there was a sub in the system. I even tried the high-pass filter that Hsu sells, but it also did not do the trick. Perhaps it was the subs themselves- an Hsu VTF-3, and an
SVS 25-31 PC+. The Snell is super tight, and sounds amazing. it's an easy recommendation for a music system. I have not tried it in the HT, so I can't comment on how it is for that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks