I got my M22s yesterday!!! Review inside.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robertto, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

Well...hmmm.. where do I start. Current set-up: Denon 1801, Cerwin Vega LS-6C Ctr, Sony Sawm40 sub, Aiwa leftover HT speakers running in rear. And I am a novice at this so don't rip me on terminology crap:)

Out of box sound is great, build quality is great, slight ding to bottom corner (factory outlet).

First off music, played the full gammit of my tastes from Lenny Kravitz to Jamirique(sp)to Incubus to NIN to Led Zep and Moby. Clarity was amazing and when paired with sub the lows flowed very smoothly from speaker to sub. The music did fill the room nicely(guess that's depth and sound field right?). I did not have to do much adjusting from cd to cd. Nin was my least fav out of the box, but I did not demo w/that cd either, so i can't say how it would sound on the Paradigms I was looking at. I will say that the Jamirique was perfect, I demoed the Moniter 3s, 5s and 7s and while they all had a bit more bass that the 22s, the 22s show why it is better if you have a sub because of the highs. Crystal, I mean crystal clear is how i would describe the highs. They blew away the moniters. Sound was soo much richer imo, I do see the Paradigms as a more laid back speaker now. Now I know venue and sound level are variables and this was not an a/b comparo but I think the difference is obvious. I wanted a bit more high end than the Paradigms and IMO got exactly what I was looking for in exchange for some low end umph(as I expected).

Now HT, this is where they really showed their quality. Unfortunately it also showed me how much my ctr sux. As said before great in the high but a bit weak in the lows. You do need a sub w/these IMO. One benefit for me is that my rears actually reproduce the all the sounds they are supposed too, just not as clear as I would like. The will be replaced after the ctr.

A nice benefit that I did not expect was the gain in performance in my Standard Direct TV sound quality, running on 5 ch stereo and sounds much better.

The only thing I seem to be having problems with is my sub settings, since these little buggers don't produce as much on the low end as I like, the sub must take care of that for you(mind you I am also running them on small setting) so the sub does handle the load here. That's not the problem, rather it seems like when i switch media cd/TV/DVD I find myself having to adjust the sub as well. Even some times from Dvd to DVD I will have to change the settings. Maybe if calibrated properly that would not happen.

I'd be happy to answer more qs if you've got the, but if you use tech terms, please put them in English for me:)

Thanks for all the great advice I got over the past few weeks helping me make my selection I hope this info helps some fols too!

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review and glad you like your new speakers. I was looking at Axiom for a future upgrade but I think I have decided to go with the Polk LSi line. The Axioms are one of the best values in speakers if the praise they get here is any indicator. You should give us another review after they have broken in.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Thanks for the review. Congrats [​IMG]
    I definitely don't think they "blow away" the Monitor line, however they are more refined, and they certainly win for price/performance. To me the tweeters from the Monitors and Axioms sounded nearly identical - this will be affected by the gear used. It was in the midrange where the Axioms shined, IMO - vocals seemed more lifelike and smooth, while percussion was fast and accurate. Try out some female vocals, piano and jazz...well recorded, dynamic classical is the big test, but female vocals usually tells me enough.
    What were you using for CD playback? Digital or analog? What listening mode (preferably stereo). What NIN? [​IMG] (you have to try out the All That Could Have Been DVD!)

4. Robertto

Running cds off my dvd w/optical input. Stereo most of the time last night, but I could see myself wanting to run it in 5ch is all speakers where of the 22s quality. And when I did run it in 5 ch I was pleasantly surprised on most tracks, the M22 still dominated while I got a bit most volume/low end w/out the sub.

Nin cd was broken, which, among most of Trents stuff is probably the most challenging for a speaker to handle. I have heard the DVD is awesome! On the purchase list!

One q, do you think my 1801 w/70 lousy watts per channel can handle the vp 150?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would expect the 150 to be fine, though I have no experience with it. The Axioms seem to handle low power just as well as high power, since they are fairly high sensitivity, and the 1801 should be able to deliver enough current for the 150. The VP100 is the perfect match, but I think I like idea of the tweeters on the outside of the 150.

I drove the M3s at calibrated ref while set to large, and they had no problem.

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

no break in phase?

7. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i dont believe in breaking speakers. if there is a break-in period, i would think that a few hours is enough.

the vp150 runs fine on my yamaha hrt-5440 @ 65 wpc.

8. EricE

EricE Agent

After listening to the M22s for a while, do you think the highs are at all in the slightest fatiguing?

9. Robertto

Sorry dood, what's English for Fatiquing? Still learning a lot on my part.

10. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

fatiguing? well, do the speakers make your ears hurt after listening to it for a long period of time?

btw, fong, i remember that my paradigm cinemas didnt take long to sound nice. they sounded thin at first. well, i have purchased a pair psb image 1b and a pair boston vr-m50 plus vr-mc. this time i really want to prove it myself whether they sound good out of the box or not.

but i am sure it took pdr10 a few weeks before it had punch. i thought it was broken or a really inferior product.

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

FOng...being your 5440 runs that vp150 fine, would the 5240 also? thanks[​IMG] TL

12. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

hehe yes, i think so. iirc, your receiver is 70 or 80 wpc (i looked it up at yamaha's site)

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

John Garcia,