What's new

I got my appendix removed and..... (1 Viewer)

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Hey guys.

As you know I just got my appendix removed This past Friday.

Everything went ok and now at home resting.

What I was wondering is to the ones that got your appendix removed how long did it take till you decided to go back to work?

The reason why I ask is my DOC told me to rest for 2-weeks before doing anything to physical, which my job requires me to be physical and picking equipment/stuff up, up to 20+ pounds or more.

On Friday when I was in the ER waiting to get my cat scans in and waiting for a surgeon to come and tell me if I needed to get my appendix removed,,, I had my wife call on our cell phone to my supervisior.

So when my wife was telling my supervisior about my status, my wife was telling me that my supervisior was more concerned when I will be back to work,, which kind of pissed me off. But what is your guys take on this. How long should I wait to go back to work?

Should I just wait for Doctors orders?

-Thanks

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Two weeks... this is major surgery, you have some internal healing to do, and you can't lift anything until you are released by your doctor to do so.

I hand my appendix out in high school--granted, I could get homework taken home to me, and did--but I was in the hospital for several days thanks to an infection, and it did take two weeks to recover to where I could get back to class. Not fun.

- Steve

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I got my appendix removed when I was a freshman at collage.
luckly, I healed nicely. I would do anything stressful for for a about 3-4 weeks. Just sit back and relax. let your friends and family spoil you for the time.

The thing I fould most distubing was drinking the Baruim liquid- YUCK!!!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I had mine removed shortly before my 15th birthday. I was back to school after couple weeks, but it took me about a month to be able to handle gym class, which was the most strenous physical activity I did at the time.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I was out six weeks in the late 70's, but mine had burst and the surgeon really cut me up. I was a welder at the time. No heavy lifting but still.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Had mine removed when I was 16. Miseed a couple of final exams but was given an equivalent grade on both of them since they were a couple of my strongest subjects.

No problems, no bursting, no complications. Was out of the hospital in three days and was ordered to rest for two weeks. That was fine by me since it got me out of cutting the grass! :D

I tried for three weeks but my mother wouldn't believe me. :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Three years ago for me. I was in the hospital for one day, and took two weeks off. Everything went very very smoothly. I can't even find the tiny incisions. :)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
That's usually the norm I guess as u might "open" up the incisions mor so the inside one.
As for ur supervisor, I think u should take it as a complement. Most workers go on sick leave with the lamest medical dilemma. I guess ur one of those reliable ones where having u not around makes the "team" or company stagger....which makes ur supervisor really worried.....

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Depends a lot on your age and overall physical condition. I had mine out when I was 31 and in decent shape; took me 3 weeks to fully recover.

Also depends on the way the surgery was performed: endoscopic is MUCH easier on you than the laparotomy I had.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Kinda off subject...What exactly is an appendix, why does it have to be taken out and/or burst? Thanks!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't be pissed, its His job to make sure you aren't cheating your boss out of sick-leave/workman's comp. He's just doin' what hes got to do.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

It really isn't very close to the spleen at all.
The appendix is located in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen, about midway between the belly button and hip.
The spleen is at about the lower left edge of the ribs.
The appendix is an appendage that hangs off the area where the small intestine becomes the large intestine.

It can become impacted with feces and burst.

I would say that you should listen to your doctor and tell your boss to be patient.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I've never had my appendix out, but I did have what we thought was a hernia back in college. Turned out it was just a "hydroseal" a small pocket of fluid in the abdominal wall but they didn't find that out until they had me opened up.

Similar healing time, if I recall. About two weeks. I worked in the campus bookstore at the time and one of my responsibilities was lugging boxes of copier paper from the store room to the copy center. Needless to say, this was off-limits as I healed, but that didn't stop me from having a little fun. I lugged an empty paper box right past my boss until I saw the blood drain from her face, then I tossed the box at her feet. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
On an unrelated topic, when you order the oysters on the half-shell as a restaurant/bar appetizer, are you supposed to chew them or swallow them whole?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Take it as a compliment that they are upset that you are not at work. Most people can take 2 weeks off and no one would even notice (or care). ;)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

From what I was told, it can be hard to diagnose from clinical signs and physical exam. I had intermittent diffuse 9/10 pain in the right side of my abdomen. It took the "Doctors" (and I use that term loosely) at the UGA Health services 5 days (and I was there everyday)to believe me when I said "I think it's my appendix" and refer me to Athens General and a surgeon. I can't remember his name, but I want to thank him for saving my life. :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I spent the morning before my surgery in bed, feeling weak and achey, but no sharp pain at all. My parents and I just thought maybe it was something I'd eaten. When the symptoms didn't improve as the day went on, we went to the ER, and found out my appendix had been close to bursting, and yet I hardly felt any pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks