What's new

I got my 40H80!!! Questions... (1 Viewer)

Rodrigo_T

Auditioning
Whats up!
On May 21 I finally got my 40H80! I paid 1700 at Brandsmart USA. I've had it for about a week now and I totally love this TV. I haven't watched HDTV yet and probably wont for a while. But the DVDs look great(non-progressive DVD player - JVC XV-M55)! What does look bad is DirectTV(non-HDTV)...I think its all that heavy compression.
(1)I'm a bit worried about non 16x9 DVDs... for what period of time can I have the black horizontal bars before I cause ANY damge to the set? Also for the vertical gray bars? Can I watch a whole movie with out any worries?
(2)Also I've noticed that when I converge the blue lines are very blury... is that because the set is out of focus? How can fix it?
(3)What is this 2:3 or is it 3:2 pulldown thing that the newer models have? Can I enable it? Whats it used for? Please explain this in great detail. :P
(4)Should I disable SVM if I don't watch HDTV? I sit about 8-10 feet away from the TV.
(5)Do any of you know of a reall good ISF dude around MIAMI? I live near FIU.
Ummm I think thats all... If I missed anything... or if you'd like to add more please do.
-THANKS
_ROD

Pete K

Agent
Well Rodrigo- Congrats on your purchase; I'm still waiting for my new purchase of an RCA Direct View to come back from a service shop!
I am no expert but certainly do read a bit and I can tell you if you use Avia or the other set up disc you can set your contrast to a correct level and not worry too much about burn in.
The vast, vast majority of DVDs today, even though "16X9",
will never fill up a widescreen TV--you're going to have some bars on the top and botttom, although certainly hugely smaller than on a standard 4:3 set. Most 1.85:1 discs will fill the screen enough so any bars aren't noticible. This is because the vast majority of discs are like 2.35:1 rather than 1.85:1. Search hard enough and you will find "reasons" for the aspect ratio that the committee for HDTV standards selected. But I'm pessimistic and can't help but wonder if there aren't motives on both the manufacturers side and the studios side that assured the product still wouldn't fit the screen....
------------------
FtHoodMtBkr
http://members.tripod.com/woodbridge_251cinema/

Jim Kirkman

Agent
There is a great deal of information available for this set. To much to put here. So here's a link that will give you all kinds of great info.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...hiba_tips.html
If you do nothing else, though, get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and get those user settings set correctly! Factory settings will reduce the life of your set and greatly increase the risk of burn in (not to mention after you get use to correct settings, factory settings look like crap!).
Hope this helps.
Jim

Craig

Second Unit
Easiest way to minimize burn in from black bars is to make sure brightness and contrast are below 50. For 4:3 material I use Theaterwide 1 to fill the screen, no gray bars that way.
Try activating DNR to see if that improves your picture. I've read some posts that indicate turning on DNR seems to improve or activate the 3:2 pulldown (I'll let others explain pulldown). This applies to H80 models made after 1/01 according to what I've read. Don't know if you'll notice a differnce, but it's worth a shot.
I've had a Toshiba 56X81 for 18 months, probably played 300 movies and haven't had any problem with burn in.
Some people say disabling SVM makes a difference, some don't see any improvement, don't think it would hurt though.
Wait at least 2-3 months on any ISF calibration. Your convergence will drift for a while and you want things to settle down before paying for professional calibration.
If you get the Avia or Video Essentials DVD you can do a lot of tweaking yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks