I got lucky with my Yamaha RX-V1300!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jonny K, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

I paid $1000 Canadian for my Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver just under a month ago. Just the other day I was looking at the paper and there was a sale advertising the RX-V2300 for $777. I phoned up the store I bought my receiver from and asked if the price for the V1300 had changed. It had, it was now 700 dollars! Since It was less than a month ago that I bought the receiver, I was entitled to get a refund of the difference!

So, I went in and they gave me 265 dollars back! Now, after tax the RX-V1300 cost me 750 Canadian. Not bad!

And the real beautiful thing? The way it works with the store's system is that when I got my refund, they basically told the computer I returned the receiver and re-bought it for the lesser price. That means I get a whole new receipt for the new price, and ANOTHER 30 days in which I can return the receiver or get another refund! [​IMG]

What's nice about that is if new models (such as the RX-V1400) come out within a month, I could thearetically return this current receiver and buy a new one - no questions asked! I don't think I would (I would feel too guilty) but it's nice to have options! And at the very least, I can hope that the price of the RX-V1300 drops again within a month. [​IMG]

Jonny K.

2. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

why would you feel guilty. if i were you i would upgrade it for and extra 200 dollars or what ever it was.

3. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Well, I feel that I would be cheating the system. Here I get the chance to enjoy the receiver for 2 whole months, then just return it simply because I want another one?

This RX-V1300 seems pretty good. I'll save the extra money for my new speakers instead (that's next year's purchase).

Jonny K.

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I picked up a Yamaha 1300 yesterday for $400 US to use as a pre/pro for my B&K AV5000 II amp i just bought. I already put the order in for the 1400 for $679. They are basically letting me use the 1300 till the 1400 comes in. Since HT is my primary concern, the Yamaha 1400 will be a fine pre/pro till i get the bug again.

Dalton

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Wayne,
    I have already had the Outlaw in my system and my friend has one also. It was very for good HT(my primary concern)but the 1300(and hopefully 1400) is just as good(as a HT Pre/pro) IMO. I would also note that i had the Rotel 1066/1075 combo for several months and enjoyed it. I like trying new stuff(can't help it). The Outlaw just doesn't offer the features of these new comparably priced receivers. And since it's HT performance sounds pretty much the same as the Yamaha(to my ears anyway), I have to decided to go with the added features of the 1400. Some things the 1400 has the Outlaw doesn't:

1. Component Upconversion - I have lots of stuff hooked up to my TV and one set of wires going out is appealing.
    2. THX Processing - I know some don't care for it but i have used it before with the Onkyo 797, HK AVR8000, and Pioneer 45tx and i like to use it for some sources.
    3. The new Yamaha Auto calibration feature - don't know if it is gonna be any good but i want to try it.
    4. DTS 96/24 - I know there isn't much out there for it but i'd like to have it just in case it starts to be used more often.
    5. It just has more overall flexibility.

Also the Outlaw isn't exactly pretty(at least IMO).

With all the equipment I have had in the last 2 yrs there's no telling how long the Yamaha will be in my system. [​IMG]Most people think i'm nuts for changing my equipment so much but i love trying new stuff! The wife doen't love it too much though.[​IMG]

Dalton

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer