I got Kurosawa's Dreams today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Campbell, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I received my copy of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams in the post this morning, thought you might be interested in hearing my initial impressions of the disc.
    Firstly, although I haven't yet fully watched the movie, from what I could see the quality of the picture is superb. It's anamorphic 1:85:1, perfect for the wealth of colour on display. ( Kurosawa had a great eye for colour - pity the best of his movies were made in b/w ) It's a world away from my old 4:3 VCD version.
    Sound isn't 5.1, just Dolby Surround I think. I can't read the Japanese text on the box so I'm not 100% positive on that.
    Sadly, there's no special features other than a few cast notes and a list of awards [​IMG] The box mentions a 1990 copyright date for a 'Making of Akira Kurosawa's Dreams' but no such documentary is featured.
    In addition to English, there's also subtitles in Chinese, Korean, Thai, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Japanese. Despite what it says on the box, the disc doesn't seem to be region coded. I switched my player to region 1 and it still played perfectly. The major tip off that it's not coded is the fact that it contains multiple copyright warning screens, including the American FBI one and another relating to region 4 territories. The menu screen is also multi language, appearing in English on my player.
    Lastly, I have to mention the box - nice design, but nothing more than a standard keep case in a cardboard sleeve. That said, when 'Dreams' gets a US and European release it'll probably come packaged in a horrible snapper case so as regards boxes, this is the best you'll get.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Are you reading that off the box or is it definately 1.85:1? I believe Dreams is supposed to be 2.20:1

3. Sean Campbell

I'm assuming it's 1:85:1 based on what I can see - I could be slightly off though. I only had a quick look today, just a few scenes( I can't get a screen capture as my tv capture card only works with PAL ). The box simply says 16:9 enhanced.

4. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

It's been about a hundred years [​IMG], but I could have sworn the LD was between 1.85 and 2.35, maybe 2.1?

5. Sean Campbell

I've just watched the entire movie and I'm nearly positive it's 1:85:1 ( and if not then it's pretty close )
    I've checked a couple of books on Kurosawa's movies but can't find reference to the aspect ratio of the movie. Pity if it's cropped [​IMG]
    If it is they'll probably use the same transfer for all territories, so it's probably the best copy of the movie you're likely to get.

6. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Dreams is listed as being Vista and 16:9. Vista size (to the best of my knowledge) is 1.85:1 and generally means 16:9 Letterboxed.
    IMDB lists Dreams as 2.35:1
    regards, Tim...

7. RexW

RexW Stunt Coordinator

Picked up my copy last weekend and popped it in last night.
    Back says Vista size which works out to 1:85.
    Would be dissapointed if like IMDB says it's 2:35.
    Still nice look to the DVD.

8. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

According to Stuart Galbraith's bio of Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune, The Emperor and the Wolf, it was shot in Vista. Perhaps earlier releases were overmatted? It certainly doesn't look cropped from what I've seen.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

IMDB has the LD listed at 2.05:1 and since it was shot Super35, who knows ?

Kurosawa-sensei did seem to prefer 1.85:1 later in life, so who knows....